Am I insane? (FWC Hawk to pop-up shell)

dstefan

I'm mentally prepared for the dust issue, but the mosquitoes scare me. We have plenty of bugs where I live, and the not-sealed aspect of these toppers definitely has given me a bit of pause. Have you found bugs to be a big problem with your GFC? Any easy fixes?
Both of these issues are easily solvable.

Dust: Spend an afternoon before you get the camper on obsessively sealing your bed and your tailgate. The tailgate seal kits are real helpful and you can use buytl tape/caulking in other voids and holes. Put a bedrug in. They’re highly durable, make the camper, much more comfortable and insulated, and they block a lot of dust. Finally, a lot of us with Ovrlnd‘s are using positive pressure vents. These really help prevent the vacuum formed in the camper from sucking dust in through micro openings. you can buy these as an option or install your own. I honestly get almost no dust in my camper and I go on some terrible red dust Utah roads a lot. Also, having on board air really helps if you can blow off the back of your vehicle and camper before you open it.

Bugs: Buy a magnetic, closing, sliding door screens from Amazon. I was able to find one that perfectly fit the back of my camper. Also, using some bug color lights in the rear is helpful.

Stringer44

The straight popups definitely give you more room on the interior but the wedge popups handle wind better and don't flap as badly. Compare the roof capacities as well if you think you'll open it with stuff on top. I've also found the side opening doors on the GFC to be really handy for accessing stuff at the front of the bed, but they're not as dust/weather tight as the solid wall and window of say a Project M. You might appreciate the lower level windows on the Project M if you plan to use it a lot with the top popped up.

We've primarily used our GFC in Colorado which generally isn't buggy. We usually have the lower level wide open at camp (what they call cabana mode) but keep the upper level sealed off from bugs by keeping all the floor panels installed.

We run a bed mat and I installed a foam gasket around the tailgate. These both helped a lot but you're still gonna get some dust or water intrusion. It's not a huge deal though, just use totes for your stuff that have good quality lids.

And yes, Ed Abbey should be required reading on this site :)

I'm definitely gonna give the GFCs another look. I really like that "cabana" mode. Would love to crawl around in one to see how easy it is to get in and out of the upper bed area. Thanks for the info. And agreed about Abbey! My favorite author (along with Vonnegut).

I have a long bed extended cab and it gets me where I need to go. But my camper shell sleeping setup does not work for my 50+ back. So bought an 22' RV it is only 6" longer than my truck. If I were to do it over, I would likely get a Project M and build in cabinets that could be removable for using the truck as a truck but having a heater table and kitchen area in the back.

That sounds like a great idea. I'm hoping to achieve something similar - spare, easy, and quickly convertible.
@Stringer44 Springfield, Mo. The Heart of the Ozarks.

I'm from Joplin! Howdy, neighbor.
I like the idea. F150 is a great option too. Highly customizable if you order it. I think the project M would be a good option.

There's a new company in San Diego called ORU Designs that has a nifty tilting bed. My brother in law has one on his f150 and loves it. Only has like a 2 month wait time too. Not sure if they make for an 8 foot bed however. It's mostly similar to a OVRLDN, minus the wait time. Like others have said, dust control is difficult without a full slide in camper but that doesn't seem to be too much of an issue for you from what I cant tell. From what I've seen, it seemd FWC would have the best fit per model.

I dont think you could go wrong with any of the camper options.

I will definitely give those ORUs a look.

Do you have any recommendations when it comes to F150s? I'm new to Ford, so I'm just starting to find my way around.

I like the idea of the 2.7L. I've heard great things, and I think for my uses, it would work great. Having said that, I'm tempted to "future proof" it by buying something with a bit more towing capability and payload. While I have no plans for it currently, I wouldn't hate the ability to tow an RV or large cargo trailer down the road. Or potentially go back to a pop-up slide-in in the future. Again, no plans for that, but I like keeping options open. Then again, I like the fuel efficiency of the 2.7L and would hate to give that up just on the off-chance that later on I might want to start towing something.
Both of these issues are easily solvable.

Dust: Spend an afternoon before you get the camper on obsessively sealing your bed and your tailgate. The tailgate seal kits are real helpful and you can use buytl tape/caulking in other voids and holes. Put a bedrug in. They’re highly durable, make the camper, much more comfortable and insulated, and they block a lot of dust. Finally, a lot of us with Ovrlnd‘s are using positive pressure vents. These really help prevent the vacuum formed in the camper from sucking dust in through micro openings. you can buy these as an option or install your own. I honestly get almost no dust in my camper and I go on some terrible red dust Utah roads a lot. Also, having on board air really helps if you can blow off the back of your vehicle and camper before you open it.

Bugs: Buy a magnetic, closing, sliding door screens from Amazon. I was able to find one that perfectly fit the back of my camper. Also, using some bug color lights in the rear is helpful.

Great info - thank you. I saw those positive pressure vents being offered on OVRLND's website. I would definitely pick that as an option. I initially thought of using just a DeeZee bed mat, but I keep hearing enough good stuff about the bedrugs that I'm thinking I should give them more consideration.

On the bug issue, when your camper is fully closed, do you notice any bugs still making their way inside? I have one of those magnetic bug screens, and would definitely install it in the camper if I intended to keep the tailgate and barn doors open - but what about with everything closed up? Do you find that that keeps the bugs out pretty well, or do they find a way in through the bed drainage holes and areas that aren't completely sealed (this is assuming you haven't yet sealed all these openings, of course). Thanks!

dstefan

On the bug issue, when your camper is fully closed, do you notice any bugs still making their way inside? I have one of those magnetic bug screens, and would definitely install it in the camper if I intended to keep the tailgate and barn doors open - but what about with everything closed up? Do you find that that keeps the bugs out pretty well, or do they find a way in through the bed drainage holes and areas that aren't completely sealed (this is assuming you haven't yet sealed all these openings, of course). Thanks!
Yes it does keep them out pretty well. My bed is very well sealed. You have to be a bit obsessive about that in this kind of camper.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
As to an F-150, get the 5.0 V8. While the turbo V6 has more torque in a lower range it's also a turbo, but brute HP goes to the V8 for more hauling/towing. No turbo, fewer problems. Not much difference in the gas mileage, my 2020 5.0 is getting 16city/20highway, can't complain for a truck!

Bergger

Explorer
You're definitely not insane as others have already said. For the very reasons you mentioned is why we decided to go with a topper camper over a slide in. I love having my truck bed open for everyday use and then being able to load it up and set it up for camping in a very short time. We have an AT Summit, wedge style topper, on a 2018 Nissan Titan Pro4x and absolutely love love love it. I researched and was able to get inside just about all of the brands before we decided on the AT. We settled on the AT product for a few reasons. First is the quality of the materials they use and overall product along with the quality of the company/staff. I've had two previous AT products so I knew what I was getting from them as far as both go. The next reason was for the insulative property of the topper. We live at 10200 feet in the Rockies so it's winter or autumn most of the year. The topper does a great job keeping us warm and with our heater and with the carpeted interior of the topper there is next to no condensation problem. We've camped down to 15 degrees and 0 with the wind chill. There are many good choices out there but just really take your time to pick out what will work for you best. Find out what is most important to you and get the best product for that application. As mentioned by another member, I'd also recommend a lower window or two if you plan on using it when closed or even when open. We have a large acrylic window in ours along with a window in the rear liftgate and its fantastic to sit "downstairs" and enjoy the view. With a bedrug mat, good tailgate seal and butyl tape on any other holes in the bed the dust issue has not even been noticed up to this point.

Stringer44

As to an F-150, get the 5.0 V8. While the turbo V6 has more torque in a lower range it's also a turbo, but brute HP goes to the V8 for more hauling/towing. No turbo, fewer problems. Not much difference in the gas mileage, my 2020 5.0 is getting 16city/20highway, can't complain for a truck!

I keep agonizing over these engine choices. So many opinions and reports from different owners. Tons of love for the 5.0. I know it's not apples to apples, but my 6.0L V8 in my Chevy 2500 gets 11.2 mpg right now. I'd love to average significantly better than that with my next truck. If they made the Ford Maverick in an 8 foot bed, I'd probably get it. ?

My priorities wouldn't be towing or torque, necessarily. Just looking for a daily driver I could camp in the back of. I'm hoping for reliability and optimum fuel efficiency. Even saying that, opinions vary widely.

You're definitely not insane as others have already said. For the very reasons you mentioned is why we decided to go with a topper camper over a slide in. I love having my truck bed open for everyday use and then being able to load it up and set it up for camping in a very short time. We have an AT Summit, wedge style topper, on a 2018 Nissan Titan Pro4x and absolutely love love love it. I researched and was able to get inside just about all of the brands before we decided on the AT. We settled on the AT product for a few reasons. First is the quality of the materials they use and overall product along with the quality of the company/staff. I've had two previous AT products so I knew what I was getting from them as far as both go. The next reason was for the insulative property of the topper. We live at 10200 feet in the Rockies so it's winter or autumn most of the year. The topper does a great job keeping us warm and with our heater and with the carpeted interior of the topper there is next to no condensation problem. We've camped down to 15 degrees and 0 with the wind chill. There are many good choices out there but just really take your time to pick out what will work for you best. Find out what is most important to you and get the best product for that application. As mentioned by another member, I'd also recommend a lower window or two if you plan on using it when closed or even when open. We have a large acrylic window in ours along with a window in the rear liftgate and its fantastic to sit "downstairs" and enjoy the view. With a bedrug mat, good tailgate seal and butyl tape on any other holes in the bed the dust issue has not even been noticed up to this point.

Thanks for this info. Great to know. I'll definitely put some effort into sealing all the open spaces. Butyl tape sounds like a good idea.

Did you have a chance to take a look at the OVRLND campers? That is probably my top contender at the moment, but I've not seen one in person. I'd be curious to hear how they compare to the AT Summit. I like the Project M, and would be happy to go with another FWC, but I'm really turned off by those large shelves coming off the side rails. I could see myself using them as tables, but I also see them limiting the width of my available bed space.

tacollie

Glamper
Personally I would get the 2.7. If you are light on the boost it gets really good mileage. It has turbos for when you need the power. Turbos are hard on oil so I would do shorter oil change intervals than Ford recommends.

We looked at the Summit, OVRLND, and project m. OVRLND is it favorite. They will customize and cater to you. The project m felt like an afterthought to me. The summit was nice but I didn't like the tapered sides.

dstefan

We looked at the Summit, OVRLND, and project m. OVRLND is it favorite. They will customize and cater to you. The project m felt like an afterthought to me. The summit was nice but I didn't like the tapered sides.
Likewise for us. ATOverland makes a real quality product, but the interior space difference is amazing in the Ovrlnd, especially on a full size truck due to the straight bedsides.

Stringer44

Personally I would get the 2.7. If you are light on the boost it gets really good mileage. It has turbos for when you need the power. Turbos are hard on oil so I would do shorter oil change intervals than Ford recommends.

Thank you for your thoughts. Will definitely factor this in with my decision.

I love the idea of the 2.7. My only problem is I don't think I can get that engine with a long bed, an extended cab, and 4WD. I could do all of that with a regular cab instead of an extended cab, but I worry about having such limited cab space. I love the classic look of regular cabs with long beds, but from a practicality standpoint, I might want that extra space from the extended cab.

Makes me take a harder look at the 3.5. It doesn't seem to have the same reputation as the 2.7, but I could configure the rest of the truck exactly the way I'd want it. Would love to hear if anyone has feedback on the 3.5.

Likewise for us. ATOverland makes a real quality product, but the interior space difference is amazing in the Ovrlnd, especially on a full size truck due to the straight bedsides.

That's great to hear. It seems like feedback for the OVRLND camper is overwhelmingly positive. I really like the straight walls, as well as the lack of large side shelves featured in the PM. Thanks!

dstefan

That's great to hear. It seems like feedback for the OVRLND camper is overwhelmingly positive. I really like the straight walls, as well as the lack of large side shelves featured in the PM. Thanks!
I’m glad it’s helpful.

If you haven’t found it yet there’s an Ovrlnd thread going here. You can see some different build approaches.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Don't sweat the 8' bed since you'll have a regular cab...the wheelbase is essentially the same as a supercab shortbed. It will do just as good off road as all the extended/crew cab shortbeds.
The big bonus being lighter truck its pretty crazy how different the 1/2 tons are vs the 3/4 regarding weight and sinking where the 1/2 tons get through easily.

It does sound like a 8ft bed 2.7 especially with the 35gal fuel tank would be a really great combo for your likes. Great range, good flexibility in bed use with a cap that gives you that multi use flex ability maybe. One thing is for sure I’m very much like you (family not so much) but I love just tossing a bed roll in and some basics and just going…. I found my Subaru daily was more fun for that than my Landcruiser for several reasons, comfort, cost ie cheaper but also I really loved that range!!!! Which the damn Landcruiser was absolutely horrible on range lol…

My 2019 Expedition I got that range back and comfort!! Freaking love that thing.. Its almost as good as the old Subaru literally only 2-3mpg off the Subaru in most cases which is nuts to me.

The 2.7 F150 8ft bed with the 36gal tank would be a dream rig to me.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have a August 2019 3.5
Platinum Expedition Heavy tow pack. 3.73 rear end basically the mid / heavy ish tow configuration F150 running gear. They definitely quietly did updates on the 3.5 even mid yr. My buddy has a March 2019 and has the plastic oil pan. Mine has a cast aluminum oil pan, I was super surprised actually when I discovered it on my first oil change. Was actually a bit confused ?.

I haven’t had many of the 3.5 issues friends with earlier 3.5’s either. No issues. I will say that in general people likely drive turbo engines hard and don’t treat them well regarding oil changes. These engines definitely aren’t tolerant of that like the old V8’s. But if you drive them like a “owner” vs renter and keep the quality oil and service solid I don’t see longevity being an issue. Even the problematic earlier versions have some service guys running them into the high 200ks with really nothing other than pretty basic maintenance and hoses.

Smileyshaun

Observer
Something to maybe consider , how much will the cost difference be between your current truck and what you want to replace it with ? Let’s just say it’s like 15k more to achieve 6-8 more mpgs . 15k buys a lot of fuel on a platform that’s a lot easier to repair and just about every parts store on earth will have parts for it . I know it’s not always that simple, but a lot of people I don’t think factor in the cost of a new or more fuel, efficient vehicle versus the mileage they’re actually gonna get or what the cost of one big repair will do to your actual yearly cost of a vehicle.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I will definitely give those ORUs a look.

Do you have any recommendations when it comes to F150s? I'm new to Ford, so I'm just starting to find my way around.

I like the idea of the 2.7L. I've heard great things, and I think for my uses, it would work great. Having said that, I'm tempted to "future proof" it by buying something with a bit more towing capability and payload. While I have no plans for it currently, I wouldn't hate the ability to tow an RV or large cargo trailer down the road. Or potentially go back to a pop-up slide-in in the future. Again, no plans for that, but I like keeping options open. Then again, I like the fuel efficiency of the 2.7L and would hate to give that up just on the off-chance that later on I might want to start towing something.

I think the 2.7 is an awesome motor. It's an absolute rocket ship. Once those turbos kick in you're easily spinning tires. I had one when I leased a 2wd F150 in 2018. I have a heavy foot and abused the engine in sport mode all the time and was getting 18MPG. I did an 8 hour road trip to northern AZ and was cruise control and eco mode and was up to 24 MPG. Also towed my 1970 scout numerous times. The motor paired with the 10 speed trans is really an awesome combo. I imagine it could likely handle all of your needs, current and future. The 3.5 of course is basically the same thing, just a little larger and slightly different numbers. Both have been in production long enough and have proved themselves, many over 200k miles

I currently have the 5.0. Legendary motor and it was on the top of my list when I was looking for a new truck. Sounds way better in all ways, suffers slightly in MPG but that doesn't bother me, I've always had V8's except for the truck I mentioned above. True believer in "smiles per gallon" over here lol. Was just out in the desert this weekend. did a few hundred miles of dirt, freeway and mountain roads. Kept it light on the throttle and cruise control when I could and was getting 16MPG. Usually around town I get 12-13. So to me, the MPG difference is not all that much different.

Regarding the truck itself, if you order one, you can just about put any of the options on any trim level. Compared the other manufacturers where it's package A, B and C. You could potentially build one with your engine of choice, gearing of choice, add an E locker if you want, add heated seats, block heater, max tow and max payload (ill get into that in a minute) and camper/snow plow prep, etc. So its very customizable and I think that's pretty cool.

If you think you might be towing or hauling, try to find one with HDPP which is High Duty Payload Package and max tow package. The HDPP allows you to carry and haul more and the tow package has all the towing helpers. Not sure how that would feel in an empy bed tho lol. Usually if you get those, you automatically get upgraded to the 36 gallon tank which hurts like heck swiping your card twice right now but I get about 550 miles per fill up and it lasts me 2 weeks of my commute to work.

You will be limiting yourself a little if you do want to get an 8 foot bed, those will be hard to find second hand if you go that route. Likely will come from a fleet of work trucks unless someone custom ordered it.

I'd also maybe consider an F250 if you think you will be towing or over weight in the bed.

as a fleet owner ,i would get an M,build it out as u wish and still have your pickup, i would have to diy a rear door like my fleet as it is quite buggy where i hang

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12