Ambo expedition build - planning stage

tedzap2

Just bought a 1998 4wd Powerstroke type 3 ambulance with 60k miles. It was a "tactical police" van, and seems in good condition.
I like that it is more open inside than some ambulances I have looked at. I am pretty sure the 4wd conversion was done by Quigley.

swat1.jpeg
I'd like to build this to rig to experience the western states, such as a trip from Baja to Alaska.

The design is in the infancy stage and I am thinking about functionality needed and layout. Are there any good ambo builds that work well as expedition vehicles? A lot of the ambo builds seem to be more comfy RV than capable expedition.
I'll have to include things that make the wife happy but what expo things should be put to the front of the decision process? It would seem to me that a lot of decisions need to be made before the work can really get going.

Is the coil spring 4wd conversion (Quigley) acceptable for (reliable) backroad travels?

Thanks,
Ted

Last edited:

jronwood

Adventurer
Hello. Nice rig. I would make sure your box isn't CRAZY heavy. I saw one from a swat vehicle in a scrap yard that must a been filled with sand or concrete in the body cavities. Likely not, but I'd check. For me I am not "pre-running" my Quigleys....so they are fine as they are. I just need 4x4 for boondocking. Likely on big trips I will tag along a custom skeleton trailer with a C7 or Cherokee. I just need 4x4 so I am less likely to get stuck if it rains overnight. Last thing I want is 4 wheeling in a large heavy expensive rig. If I wreck a CJ or Cherokee...I'll drag it back to my ambo.

tedzap2

She is heavy, but I don't think there is anything extra being carried around... curb weight is listed as 10,500 pounds. Drives well, but with the weight and no intercooler she won't break any speed records.

I like the idea of the bedliner paintjob, the local wrap place quoted me $7500 to change the color. seems quite high, anyone know if this is normal type of price?

djasinski

She is heavy, but I don't think there is anything extra being carried around... curb weight is listed as 10,500 pounds. Drives well, but with the weight and no intercooler she won't break any speed records.

I like the idea of the bedliner paintjob, the local wrap place quoted me $7500 to change the color. seems quite high, anyone know if this is normal type of price?
nice rig. I was bidding on it also but you beat me out. I have another ambo that I am building out. I live local to the auction location if you want to meet up and share ideas, and help each other with builds.

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
Are there any good ambo builds that work well as expedition vehicles? A lot of the ambo builds seem to be more comfy RV than capable expedition.
This came up on a current thread about stiffening a E350 frame...

Most ambos seem to be built with a very strong box/cage. An E350 chassis on the other hand is flexible C channel. In normal road use this isn't an issue apparently, but doesn't seem ideal for offroad situations where all your weight is on opposite corners. I'd check to see what the box-chassis mounting looks like, if anything was done to strengthen the chassis under the cab, and what the transition looks like underneath.

I wouldn't change the color, looks fine to me! (y)

I think the color looks great as is and not worth changing at this point in the build! Already cooler than most of the white rigs (which mine will probably be)

That said, considering you're at a curb weight of 10,500 I would check GVWR and make sure you stay as much under as possible, especially if planning extended remote/offroad travel. My e350 138WB chassis has a GVWR of 10,500lb and curb weight of 4900lb (without a box).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior