Ambulance Conversion Plan... Yes add one more to the list!!

First of I would like to start off by stating that I think the term "Build" is over used on this site, I feel mild customization does not constitute the term build, and since the first stage of my conversion is simply just that, a conversion, I will continue to call it that now untill the second or third phase of my plan.

Now that I got that off my chest I want to get into the details of the first phase of my conversion plan.

Phase One:
The idea here is to convert the ambulance from use as medical aid to a camper for 2 plus a dog. I want to focus on the camper side of things getting everything set up the way I want first. I know the first few trips we will be doing will be 100% okay without 4x4; would I prefer to have 4x4? Hell yeah! but that will be more important for the future travel plans, the most immediate plans are 60% pavement and 40% gravel roads.... Nothing too crazy planned for this summer. Camping in the mountains close to home and a trip up to Alaska nothing more then 2000km round trip (aside from the AK trip)

Interrior Requirements:
Sink
Refrigerator
Stove top
Microwave or oven
Food storage
Storage for personal items (clothes, etc.)
Table and bench
Bed for two
Good lighting
Roof vents (RV style)

Exterior Requirements:
MUST NOT LOOK LIKE AN AMBULANCE!!
Good aproach and departure angles (this one will take some work)
Good lighting in all directions
Awning
Out door shower

Phase Two
This phase will consist of a 4x4 conversion from Chris at Ujoint
An aluminess front bumper
Possibly a roof rack if the need for one has been identified by this point

Phase Three
Converting the top of the camper into a "Pop Top" which will allow for more then 5'8'' of head room inside the camper

In the short future I will be uploading a drawing of my proposed floor plan however it will be an extremely similar layout to the GXV campers.

While I am on the topic of drawing parallels to my build and the GVX campers I plan on helping the Departure angle out by trimming the back in a similar manor to the way they did.... Here is a Link if you are unsure of what I am talking about!
http://globalxvehicles.com/global-expedition-vehicle-pangea-4x4-rv/

How does my plan sound thus far??

fullofdays

Wondering Wanderer
Looks good on paper! What is your budget for donor and what is your budget for interior and exterior farkles ??

I am in a similar place but thinking instead of starting from scratch with an ambulance, finding a used ?2wd SMB and converting it.... Idonthave the time or interest in a perpetual work in progress.

Abitibi

Explorer
Sounds like there will be twins around... :)

That's very close to what I'm planning on doing including cutting the rear for better departure angle. (On my Ambulance thread check post #15 for a couple pictures where similar sized vehicles have their rear end angled). Only main difference is that I need to accommodate 2 adults and two young kids. Also on top of my priorities is the conversion to run on veggie oil... But for the rest, very very similar!

So bring it on, I wouldn't mind picking up a few more ideas along the way... And I'm very glad to see more interest in these unassuming expo platforms!

Cheers!
Mr. D

Last edited:
Looks good on paper! What is your budget for donor and what is your budget for interior and exterior farkles ??

I am in a similar place but thinking instead of starting from scratch with an ambulance, finding a used ?2wd SMB and converting it.... Idonthave the time or interest in a perpetual work in progress.

The total budget for this is in the range of $12,000-15,000.

I expect to pay in the range of $3-4,000 for the donor Ambo there is a great one a available 5 hours away from me but I travel too much with work at the moment to make it there and check it out (10 on 4 off)

I forgot to mention as well that heating and cooling will be taken care of in the first Phase of the conversion

Abititibi looks like we'll be taking over Western Canada without conversion, I'm in Edmonton!

Abitibi

Explorer
Edmonton hey!

Btw, you didn't mention what type of ambulance/drivetrain you're looking at. Anything in particular? I know for myself it will be the 99-03 E350 with the 7.3...

Well at the moment there are two that interest me a 7.3L E350 SWB & a E450 LWB....
The 350 is over priced but the owner is open to offers
The 450 is right in the price range I am looking at but would require more aggressive "trimming" for the departure angle haha

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Sounds good! The ambo revolution continues..... We're doing a 450 right now, keep posted to my build page for pics as we finish it up. 6" on 35's!

I'll keep an eye out for pics, been leaning towards the 450 with a huge cut up the backside to save the departure

Will be interested to see how yours turns out!!!

I tried to check them out online but not luck looks like their page is only half updated.... Will give them a call on days off, thnx the the heads up Sponge!!!

Abitibi

Explorer
Well at the moment there are two that interest me a 7.3L E350 SWB & a E450 LWB....
The 350 is over priced but the owner is open to offers
The 450 is right in the price range I am looking at but would require more aggressive "trimming" for the departure angle haha

I guess by SWB you mean the regular ambulances which I think are actually LWB? I was told the 450 has an even longer wheel base. I don't see why the 450 needs more trimming to achieve a good departure angle, both seem to stretch as far behind the rear wheel. Only difference (aside from more interior room :),) the 450 could get hung up more easily on its belly...

I'd say go for the nicest one that fits your bill... If you decide to cut their *** off, both will end up being a challenge anyway!

Cheers
Mr. D

Good to know, I'll keep an eye on that!
Unfortunately the E450 I was eyeing got snatched up :(
And the guy selling the E350 wants too much for it
So right now I am out of local candidates

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78