Ambulance needs shocks

Ball

Observer
Hey all. My 1995 4x4 Quigley converted wheeled coach ambulance needs new dampners and I'm looking for suggestions. One issue is I'm not quite sure how to size them without taking them off. Another is this beast weighs 11,600. The steering linkage dampner us also shot so it looks like five in total.
Thanks for any info!

Ball

Observer
Not that it should matter but I'll mention I did install air bags to compensate for sagging leafs in the back.

Ball

Observer
According to Agile Off-road:
We unfortunately do not have any suspension modifications for your vehicle. I unfortunately do not have any recommendations for you as far as a direction for modifications as well.

Ball

Observer
They only have the front shocks and I'm not confident the size is right. It sounds like I'm going to have to do this the hard way and remove the shocks to measure and avoid any specialty shops as they have moved on from the E350 platform.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I got Fox shocks from Agile Off-road when I had a 1995 Quigley.
Wheeled coach as well.
Do you have the specs on those… since Agile won’t sell or provide them I don’t feel you’d be giving away any trade secrets.

Ball

Observer
I'm more irked by the fact they had a E350 kit that included coils without specifying whether they were for gas or diesel considering my engine fully dressed weighs half a ton and would likely compress coils for a gasser a lot.

cjken

Explorer
Do you have the specs on those… since Agile won’t sell or provide them I don’t feel you’d be giving away any trade secrets.

I got them back when Ramsey was around. I honestly don’t have the specs. He put quite a bit of time in driving the truck and adjusting the valving. I felt like it was a labor of love with him. Not sure how that company is run now.

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
Ramsey’s partner that worked at fox shocks when they developed the rip kit is who has run agile since he passed. He’s a smart cookie and has come up with even better valving for the heavy vans since taking over. I understand forgoing the econoline platform in favor of easier money but it’s unfortunate that he isn’t willing to share his knowledge with people that could use the advice. It’s no skin off his neck to let people know the models of shocks (for instance Ramsey had told me they use a Chevy shock up front) they used to use and the valve kits used from fox to make them an ideal setup. Seriously, if they aren’t willing to sell to eseries owners, the least they could do is clue us in so we could fend for ourselves.

The rip kit I got when they were first developed was great. After ruining a rear shock (iirc it was glen) I called agile to ask about warranty options. He was great and told me to send in both rear shocks and he would see if the one could be repaired. He also mentioned that they had come up with better valving for the heavier vans and that if I wanted to send in my fronts as well he would upgrade all of them at once. He couldn’t repair the one shock (bent strut rod) but sold me a replacement for cost. I paid retail for the upgraded valve kits, but back then (before the #vanlife bs), agile off road was still very affordable for the every man. From the threads I’ve seen that doesn’t seem to be the case. Prices for the rip kit are twice what I paid in 2013. Were the last versions better? I think so. Are the improvements worth twice what they used to be? Possibly for some. I know the shocks made a huge difference with how my very unmanageable van drove back then. Changed it from a white knuckle, both hands on the wheel at all times double deathgrip to being about to cruise at 80mph with one hand.

Being a local brokeass racecar guy I had just enough knowledge about suspension that when I was originally talking with Ramsey it was quite obvious that he knew what he was doing and that I wanted (more like needed) what he was offering. Glad I did when I did. I got in on the original order and he was quickly backlogged after that. Took him years to catch up and quigley owners around the country rejoiced, lol.

Again it’s too bad profits have trumped just helping folks overall. Then again, everything good always seems to end like this :(

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
Haven’t seen much negative feedback about bilstein, but have zero first hand. Hopefully someone can pipe up with what’s worked good for them.

might not hurt to reach out to weld tech either. They offer fox shocks for vans, but pretty sure the valving is just off the shelf. Haven’t heard anyone complain about the generic fox shocks either.

Im guessing any higher end shock is going to improve your driving experience. I’ve upgraded quite a few things to my quigley to help it drive better, and a few that made things worse, but at the end of the day I feel the shocks helped more than any other single mod Ive done to the suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger