AmbuLand build thread

FDM2012

Adventurer
I agree, a video is needed!!

Looks really cool, David!!

I can't wait to drive mine out there for you to do it the same way! :smiley_drive:

I just climb from the lower bed then countertop then loft. I also have a small light ladder but not really needed. There's 3 floor boards all about 25"x54" with matching mattresses on top. They just tilt up at each ends similar to my drawing a few pages back or can also stack on top of each other. In the picture there were no mattress (getting upholstered) s I used a thermarest. I should really make a video, would be simpler to explain, Hahaha!

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"

Abitibi

Explorer
Hey, you're more than welcome to come over for a peek but for any work you'll first have to deal with my wife, apparently I ran out of kitchen pass ;)

Remember this quick drawing?

c8a3fc6e7edddaac1fc59a97e69e4c87.jpg

And now look at these couple pictures with the floor boards up...

This is the smaller and single board at the rear.

7f0ad58fad57754ce06c86f4eb8e2331.jpg

And these are the two larger folded front boards.

fdd839469df0eaa4c056d3a3080f82d9.jpg

When the roof is down I can either stack them or unfold them all to completely cover the opening. I'll cover them with thin carpet (I hate carpet but up there I can tolerate it) and will also wrap with carpet the roof frame where those boards sit. It will kill all the rattling and protect the tent fabric when the boards are up.

Makes a little more sense or we still need a video? Lol

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
No, I think we got it. But just a couple of more questions...

1. Do you sleep cross ways or length ways when the bed is deployed?

2. When the boards are down and in position, do they completely cover the opening or is there still room to get up and down with the bed made?

Raul

Adventurer
Love it. I've though about doing this on a regular van.
Can you show pictures with the top down and how does the tent floor to van roof looks like from outside?

Thanks

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
You're probably already aware that if you router the edges of the plywood with a round over bit the covering material won't get cut through on edges. 1/4" or similar round over bit will do the job.

Coachgeo

Explorer
c8a3fc6e7edddaac1fc59a97e69e4c87.jpg

2. When the boards are down and in position, do they completely cover the opening or is there still room to get up and down with the bed made?
hmmm...same question. Just visioning middle of the night when you got to get up to relieve yourself; are you going to have to groggily disassemble your bedding and matress cushions in order to lift one board so you can scramble down below to take a piss?

Abitibi

Explorer
No, I think we got it. But just a couple of more questions...

1. Do you sleep cross ways or length ways when the bed is deployed?

Remember this bed is for our kids and there's 3 panels with matching mattress size. One of them is smaller (20" long) so for the kids I can simply remove this end panel and they still have 5'9" worth of mattress (length way). If I steal the bed from them and need access I simply lift/tilt that end board, pretty simple.

Abitibi

Explorer
Love it. I've though about doing this on a regular van.
Can you show pictures with the top down and how does the tent floor to van roof looks like from outside?

Thanks

Thanks,
I'll try to remember taking pictures next time I climb up there. Still need to modify the latch system to make it lock from the inside so I'll be back up there before too long!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12