American Expedition Vehicles

datrupr

Expedition Leader
It is surprising how little damage there appears to be after that roll. It obviously decided to quit running after that. Kinda a bummer, that is a nice Rubi Unlimited there.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Why didn't he drive it down? It looked to me like just a little sheet metal damage. I mean does anyone really care about their rides sheetmetal? Guy was probably crying "how am I gonna explain this to my wife!" ROTFLMFAO!

Looks like a fender hood canvas and some paint no biggie.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
First post on EP. Hello! :D

You guys just missed it - a New Jersey fire department raffled off the gray AEV Brute for $100 per ticket. The drawing was held in early October, and it was won by a gentleman in Maryland. They had 2000 tickets for sale, and only around 1000 of the tickets were sold, making the odds of winning relatively good.

PA092142.jpg

During the raffle, I had a good bit of exposure to the Brute. The overall quality of the conversion was still very high, but certainly not without its problems due to the complexity of the vehicle. These small problems aside, I would still love to have one, as AEV does great work. :)

To my knowledge, only 2.5 Brutes exist. There is the red one, that I think may have been disassembled to an extent, the gray one which was just raffled off, and a yellow one owned by Hi-Lift that you may have seen at SEMA.

Westy

Adventurer
I believe more exist than that...

One of my friends parents know someone with a Brute as well...

haven

Expedition Leader
There's a note on the JKBoard that AEV will announce
price and availability of their JK Hemi conversion on August 1.

And for some pure speculation:

Q. Why has AEV not developed a Brute version for the JK?

A. Because Jeep will start selling a pickup in 2010!

WFTW

Adventurer
Personally, I find nothing even remotely attractive about the Brute. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of AEV (have some of their items), but the Brute is worthless in my eyes.

NOTE: Before everyone goes and gets their panties in a bunch, please realize that this is my opinion. I'd have zero use for that vehicle.

turner

WFTW said:
Personally, I find nothing even remotely attractive about the Brute. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of AEV (have some of their items), but the Brute is worthless in my eyes.

NOTE: Before everyone goes and gets their panties in a bunch, please realize that this is my opinion. I'd have zero use for that vehicle.

If I had kids i would totally agree with you. Just a reg cab? No way.... but since its just me and the little lady i"m totally in love with them!! lol. i guess its the bad that kinda reminds me of the old yota's in a way... too bad i'll never be able to drop the cash. by the time i can i'll have midgets runnin around.... so it would be another 18 years... lol

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
WFTW said:

same here...why would i get a tiny pickup for 60k that holds only two people and not much stuff...

i could get a dodge power wagon quad cab for like $50k...lol...

pretty good idea, though and well-executed. I like the sarge truck, and may end-up doing that to my unlimited with the roll up window canvas in the rear, but my 2door LJ is pretty perfect as-is. if i need more cargo room, i can tow a trailer. :)

Ranger Steve

Adventurer
i like the hard top with the full swing out door they did for an LJ and some of the guys in my club have the hood...me with a zj they have nothing for me but the rims and well its to pricey for me haha

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
haven said:
AEV will announce price and availability of their JK Hemi conversion on August 1.

This is awesome for the pure gearheadedness of it. However, a HEMI in a JK doesn't sound so appealing with today's soaring gas prices. I would expect something better from AEV... like an engine that runs on tap water. C'mon, AEV. Bring back the innovation. ;)

Ranger Steve

Adventurer
cshontz said:
This is awesome for the pure gearheadedness of it. However, a HEMI in a JK doesn't sound so appealing with today's soaring gas prices. I would expect something better from AEV... like an engine that runs on tap water. C'mon, AEV. Bring back the innovation. ;)

oh how they put the diesel in =)

dsy

Adventurer
cshontz said:
However, a HEMI in a JK doesn't sound so appealing with today's soaring gas prices. I would expect something better from AEV... like an engine that runs on tap water. C'mon, AEV. Bring back the innovation. ;)

So far everyone I've talked to that has done the 5.7 hemi swap is claiming better mpg than the 3.8 in the new unlimiteds. Will let ya know. I visited AEV last week to discuss the kit and swap. I bought a new 5.7 crate motor and 545RFE tranny last Jan. Have just been waiting for the release of the conversion kit from AEV.

WFTW

Adventurer
I bought a 5.7L V8 for my JK last about a month ago. Rather than getting a "kit", I'm putting it together piece by piece. Have the tranny already, will have the computer soon, and am fabricating the mounts. I'm hoping it will be put in by the end of September...getting all the parts are what's causing the hold-up.

The Hemi will certainly improve my gas milage. With as heavy as my JK is, the piss-ant 3.8L has to work overtime just to get up a slight incline. I drove from north FL to south FL in June and got 9 mph. Yes, N-I-N-E! The primary reason for that was the vehicle would have to down shift (shooting my RPMs from 2500 to 4800) to keep my speed around 65 mph every time I went up event the slightest of inclines.

While the Hemi won't do much for me in gas savings when city driving, I'm expecting a terrific increase in milage when on the highway/interstate.

AEV's Hemi conversion kit will do wonders for JK owners...making it relatively easy to drop in a more respectable engine. My guess is the cost of a conversion (nut to bolt) will cost around $22K. I'd hazard to take a guess at the cost of just the kit (minus engine and tranny).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman