American Safari JXL ....non responsive

campertramper

Wow, I am shocked to see that photo. The closest Jeep has an AEV rear bumper, AEV tire carrier, larger spare (35s? 37s?) AND the AEV fuel caddy.
From experience I know that is a significant amount of weight.

All that weight is hanging off the now extended rear, which puts it further behind the rear axle than ever before.. AND that whole rear extension is just "bolt on" - there is no welding.

-Dan
All good points Dan (as usual). I would love to communicate with someone who has had one for 50 thousand miles or so to understand better how well they stand up.

Keeping the tires stock would certainly help with the weight problem.

Maloppa

Observer
I see this thread is from mid 2022, but it has not gotten any better on the communication aspect. I had reached out and finally got some pricing info. Now I can't get information on current builds in stock or info about actually ordering a unit. I have sent e-mails and left messages. Frustrating. Just from pricing, looks like the set up like on the YouTube channel "Family Road Trip" will be close to 30K.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I see this thread is from mid 2022, but it has not gotten any better on the communication aspect. I had reached out and finally got some pricing info. Now I can't get information on current builds in stock or info about actually ordering a unit. I have sent e-mails and left messages. Frustrating. Just from pricing, looks like the set up like on the YouTube channel "Family Road Trip" will be close to 30K.

For that same budget you could buy an Ursa Minor J30 and drive it all the way to Argentina over two years, covering all expenses...

-Dan

phsycle

Adventurer
I don’t understand why you’d get this over a Gladiator + AT Overland or similar camper for cheaper.
I know I wouldn’t spend the extra $, never mind the hassle, wait, and anguish.

ZONE ZERO

I don’t understand why you’d get this over a Gladiator + AT Overland or similar camper for cheaper.

thats why I completely gave up on them and went my own direction with my Jeep, you would think with social media that they could get more information out and people testing and driving their products for evaluation.

ScottPC

I can appreciate wanting to have a shorter wheelbase, better brake over angle, smaller turning circle, and access between camper and "cockpit" which you get with wrangler + JXL. I do think the Alu-cab conversion setup on the gladiator and tacomas are awesome setups but are just a little longer and larger and also pricey (edit: the standup room is pretty incredible). Clearly the down side of these JXL setups are departure angle, weight behind the rear axle and $$$. Always tradeoffs with any mods or upfitting so it just depends on each person's intended use as to what platforms works best.

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler

FWIW, the idea for this mod originally came out way before the Gladiator appeared. The production of the Gladiator might have helped this company’s demise.

Last edited:

Maloppa

Observer
phsycle, my original goal was to be able to enter while in the Jeep and v8 power. I looked at some JKs with Ursa tops, but the wife wasn't happy with the room inside. I thought it would be easier to grab a 392 and do the JKL conversion. Then I got the price list. So now back to either a Gladiator or a Brute.

Attachments

• JK Pricing August 9 2022.pdf
    915.8 KB · Views: 22
  • JL Jeep Extension and Camper Conversion System Pricing August 9 2022.pdf
    711.4 KB · Views: 16

Ultralite

Adventurer
I have seen some of the “Family Road Trip” YTs but mostly landscape footage, not inside the rig. Isn’t space still complicated by the roll bar? What Dan did to his roll bar for Africa seems necessary to best utilize interior space. Otherwise, I think folks get nudged toward bigger rigs.

phsycle

Adventurer
I can appreciate wanting to have a shorter wheelbase, better brake over angle, smaller turning circle, and access between camper and "cockpit" which you get with wrangler + JXL. I do think the Alu-cab conversion setup on the gladiator and tacomas are awesome setups but are just a little longer and larger and also pricey (edit: the standup room is pretty incredible). Clearly the down side of these JXL setups are departure angle, weight behind the rear axle and $$$. Always tradeoffs with any mods or upfitting so it just depends on each person's intended use as to what platforms works best.

Shorter wheelbase and better break over certainly have advantages. But I just don’t see it for a vehicle built with a big camper on the back. Look at all the trails the JT guys are doing. Hardly any disadvantage vs the JL/JLU guys, even on the toughest of trails. ie Look at story till now’s YouTube channel.

I’m glad there are companies producing lots of different mods for vehicle travel. Some make more sense/cents than others.

Accrete

Explorer
I've been following Dan's J30 adventures since his first YT video with the setup, I really like the idea. And also intrigued with the JXL conversion. My wife & I plan on visiting the Amarillo shop, and after recently filling out the on-line contact form, received a nice email from Glen Pratt a few days later inviting us to stop by and take a tour. Time will tell.

To test the Jeep-camper concept, we are renting a Sahara+J30 UM in MOAB to check out the feasibility (we have built two vans so far, so this will be an alternate adventure rig).

We are starting from scratch, and would probably grab a Rubicon with the 33" and keep it basically stock + the UM top for 'backroads' in our preferred desert southwest. IF the JXL looks feasible, we might go that way. It will be interesting as we've been spoiled by the room in our van's, but recall how much fun we had 40 years ago in our FJ40 chevy 327 conversion, and a ground tent :)twovanspikespeak.jpg

ncflyer

I'm sure the bed is longer on the gladiator so would likely need a longer rear section but (just a guess) seems like it would be more feasible to just extend it and offer it for the gladiator. Though the cost may deter folks for what they want for the wrangler. Checked with ursa minor and though they say on the website (in consideration/development for the gladiator) it's pretty much been sidelined for the Bronco version. Alot more gladiators than Broncos but guess they think the market is there. Would be the closest option to a Landcruiser pop top we'll never be able to do here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior