An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
Easy . . . Just throw a truckload of money at them. Same way humans set foot on the moon. :ylsmoke:

Well I have to correct that, as I havn´t got a truckload of money myself.
Other, currently available, setups/solutions are more expensive and some arn´t even available, even though advertized differently....

I know some other guys who´re working on prototypes now, but when will they finish? No idea.

One quote from an almost weeping guy in Billing: "What the f&%$! I just spend GBP 5200,- on a 2" lift for my 110 and have just finished and now you´re here with 6.5" lift for GBP 7400,-!"

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
He was weeping 'cos he'd just realised that he had been well and truly had!

Even Eibach springs as one off specials, rose joints, cranked arms and Milner shocks valved for the job wouldn't have hit half that

Gwynn Lewis would have done the job for a 1k all in with top stuff.

I was talking to a VOSA inspector the other day about getting your motor legal in the UK. His take on it was that because LR had already gone down the type approval route with their own portal conversion back in the late '80s, there would be no issue with fitting as long as the kit had CE approval. TUV approval is CE approval so shouldn't be a problem.

Are you at Stoneleigh for the LRM show?

Oilworker

Explorer
No, sadly not for Stoneleigh, but defititly for LRO in Peterborough.
I have to much on my plate for stage 2 now. Just found my CTIS :wings: and the manufacturer of my battery management system.....

100803rk_PL03161_800x836.jpg

This is just a preview, fitting the block to the wheel and taking the dimensions for the connectors & cover-/protection-plate.
The system will be fitted to the wheel and available for the Silverline Blindo wheels later, too.

The controll unit can be pre-programmed to 12 different pressure settings (e.g. highway - offroad - sand and different load settings) and constantly displays all 4 tyre pressures. Pressure control at predefined intervalls or, as in my setup, whenever I start the car.
All tyres can be inflated seperately and pressure drop, we tested on a truck setup, was from 4.0 bar to 1.0 bar in 20 seconds, refill time depends on your compressor´s flow rate.

So long, I´ll keep you updated :)

Last edited:

F4B UP

Hi! been watching this all over tinternet.....

very good solution.

I'm trying to get a handle on the costs

i've copied the pricelist from there site,

can you help me get a cost for a landrover?

item no.1 x 4
item no. 2 x 4
item no. 4 x 4
item no. 5 x 2
item no. 6 x 2
item no. 8 x 4?
item no. 9 x 4
item no. 11 x 2
item no. 14 x 2?
item no. 15 x 2
item no. 16 x 2
item no. 17 x 4?
item no. 18 x 4?
item no. 20 x 1

thats about 8000 euro???!!! plus a new transfer box and wheels???

Can you help confirm the cost of wheels and transfer box? Love the idea, not loving the cost at the mo.

1. Portaleinheit / Portal box 1.260,50

2. Radlagerflansch 5-loch / wheelbearinghub 5-lug 222,69

3. Radlagerflansch 8-loch / wheelbearinghub 8-lug 139,24

4. Bremsscheibe / brake rotor (disc) 75,63

5. Bremssattel vorne / brake caliper front 200,00

6. Bremssattel hinten ohne Handbremse / caliper rear w/o parking brak 200,00

7. Bremssattel hinten mit Handbremse / caliper rear with parking brake 126,05

8. Bremsschlauch Stahlflex / brake hose steelflex 70,00

9.Bremssattelhalter / brake caliper bracket 48,74

10.CV Gelenk Rover (Austausch) CV joint Rover (exchange) 126,05

11.CV Gelenk Rover Chromoly / CV joint Rover chrome 4340 215,97

12.Außenwelle Jeep/Dana / outer shaft Jeep/Dana Chromo 4340 163,45

13.Achsschenkel Jeep/Dana / Steering knuckle Jeep/Dana 180,67

14.Achswelle hinten 4340 chromo / rear axle shaft 4340 chromo 180,67

15.Portalverstärkung vorne / portal box brace front 107,98

16.Portalverstärkung hinten / portal box brace rear 55,88

17.Reifenfüllsystem im Portal / CTIS parts in portal box only 180,00

18.CTIS Anschlüsse / CTIS connectors 71,93

19.Hauptbremszylinder / master brake cylinder 115,80

20.Adapter f. Hauptbr.Zyl. Rover / Adapter master cyl. Rover 56,64

Oilworker

Explorer
Hi,

back from the road! Just picked up the truck again and had the chance to finally compare the angles of a standard 130CC.

100831rk_PL03399_web800.jpg

The frame is currently approx. 9.0" higher than standard.

& the truck made it into a publication again: Jeepolog.com in Israel :)

So long,

Robert

Last edited:

Oilworker

Explorer
Hi! been watching this all over tinternet.....

very good solution.

I'm trying to get a handle on the costs....

You can, for a rough calculation, consider approx. 2200,- Euros per drop-box (incl. brakes, ready to install) and then add the price the rims and tyres of your choice.
If you go for 37" tyres you won´t need a new transfer case.

Cody1771

Explorer
imo seems to be excessive speed, IE not safe, and i remember right portals build up excessive heat under high speeds, and at slower speeds... say 55mph your final drive gear may be to low and you'll find yourself downshifting on the slightest hills.

Oilworker

Explorer
@Cody & Maryland: Nothing to worry about and sadly only "wishfull thinking" :ylsmoke:

I took out the signal converter and that´s why it shows an uncorrected speed.
Corrected, it would have read just above 120km/h, sorry, I somehow expected someone to discover that....

But nonetheless, the portals are doing fine a high speeds. Mind the tyres, though!

AlexDef

Hi,

back from the road! Just picked up the truck again and had the chance to finally compare the angles of a standard 130CC.

The frame is currently approx. 9.0" higher than standard.

& the truck made it into a publication again: Jeepolog.com in Israel :)

So long,

Robert

Hello from Russia!

Great truck! Hope I'll have portal-axeled 90 in half a year if everything goes ok.

Does it have 2" lift? (To compare with standart: 5" portals + 2" 35 tires + ?)

Last edited:

Toy-Roverlander

Adventurer
Those angles are actually measured from in front and behind wheel centerline, like this (in red):

So the angles are even better:ylsmoke:!

Awesome truck!!

Cody1771

Explorer
You need a trip to Germany.... It is full of proper roads and people that know how to drive....

i have been to germany, and many other parts of Europe, its not my driving im worried about its other peoples hehe. where i live there are lots of... less than exellent drivers. :smiley_drive:

Oilworker

Explorer
@AlexDef: Portals lift by 5" + tyres (315/75R16, which is roughly 35") and standard coils on the image.
My new progressive coils (+1.75") are finished now and it gives the truck approx. 1.5" of lift again.

Portique-DEF-130-Tibus-01_web800.jpg

The new coils are standing next to the image. They´re calculated for 110 and 130 Defenders running on a wide range of loads.
They will be available on the market in about a week or two.

So long,

Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior