An expedition truck on portals...

Ron B

Explorer
looks beautiful as everything else on your truck. Be sure to get some guards over those ctis hub valves!

Oilworker

Explorer
Thanx and yes, I sure will....am unsure about the "design" though... any suggestions?

When I find the time I´ll try to teach myself some beter skills with CATIA V or Solidworks...´till now I use my woodworking skills to build templates....

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Something like this:

Tatra_813_KOLOS_1.jpg

Or this, but with your own logo:

Gmog_150.jpg

These ones double as a step, neat idea but IMO its not as nice looking:

brush76_001.jpg

Last edited:

94Discovery

Adventurer
It was a rather cold day at the workshop, where I am currently working, and I just managed to install the valve blocks and the provisional connectors to the rim valves.

101213rk_PL04899_cut800s.jpg

101213rk_PL04900_web800s.jpg

The heavy duty air hoses are run underneath the chassis to the tray, where I will place the compressor, air reservoir and control unit.

Any advice on a strong, affordable and not "Made in China" compressor to run the system is more than welcome.

So long,

Robert

you can use a york 210 or a senden compressor :
http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2115
http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/OBA2/

RabidRover

Observer
Thanks for the updates Robert! Your truck is truly a piece of functional art. I am glad that it is used for what it was intended ... keep us in the loop on your future adventures.

Ron B

Explorer
here's pic of my rock rims for my 2 piece military Hutchinsons and a few of a friends rig in process who has similar Hutchinsons and made custom guards (the build is on Pirate).

You probably don't need anything as big but we do a lot of rock crawling where the lines or lugs would be damaged.

Attachments

• IMG_2600.jpg
    IMG_2600.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2598.jpg
    IMG_2598.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1347.jpg
    IMG_1347.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 147

Oilworker

Explorer
Thanx,

I guess I will try and go minimalistic.
Tibus also made a protector for the H1 rims, but that´s still too "big"...

101202rk_PL04783_cut600.jpg

The other thing is, I don´t even have a logo :(
I know my new company´s name but that´s as far as I got :(

We´ll see. One at a time, no need to rush and get back into hospital again.

Thanx for the lnks on the compressors. Will follow up on them later today.

Oilworker

Explorer
Well, I crashed early summer during an overseas assignment and just carried on through summer....which was a rather unwise decission as the doctor said when I crashed again late summer...
Still sorting things and trying to fully concentrate on the important things now.

It´s all about remembering what my crew told be in NY 3 years ago:

"You don´t live to work! You work to live!"

Oilworker

Explorer
Back from a great weekend in the UK (with a lot of fun on the road, at least I had :wings:)

101217rk_PL05013_cut800.jpg

101217rk_PL05042_cut800.jpg

The ferry was alomost empty when I sailed out of Dover...

101218rk_PL05050_web800.jpg

32 cars and 2 trucks somehow also made it through the chaotic weather and all the snow and ice.

Now back home, with more snow falling, I played a bit with Google Maps as I was asked about my travels since I started converting my 130CC into the 130CC-Rhino...

Rhino_Travel_Map_2010s.jpg

Among these travels where 6 shows, too (Abenteuer Allrad, LRO Show Billing, LRO Show Peterborough, Security Essen, Autosalon Paris, eCarTech Munich) and the Dresden-Breslau Rallye (as Press Car).

What a year :)

Next year I will extend my travels to Northern Africa (Tunesia 01/2011), the Middle East (03/2011) and Mongolia, Syberia and Kamtschatka (08/2011) and the one or other show, too...

So long & greetings from the road.

Robert

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
Too far East

Robert,

You are still way too far East.

You need to cross the pond for a visit to the New World. :smiley_drive:

Thanks for all the fantastic pics!

Cheers,
Mark

Oilworker

Explorer
I am working on that plan to come over to the US.

But first it´ll be Tunesia and the middle East incl. a stint to ´stan.

I sadly didn´t make it up to Portal Rover this time but definitly will early next year as he´s been working on bolt-on portals for the Defender, too.
I guess there´ll be a few new bolt-on portal boxes, from different manufacturers, on next years show in Billing.

So long & greetings from the road...

Robert

Wuff_Wider

This is a brilliant thread..........I do love your Motor and dream of doing the Portal's on my 90...........now that would look interesting wouldn't it?

Happy New Year Folks!

PS: How about writing us a list of who you used and costs involved so as to keep us up to date? You need only to post it every 6 months or so.:Wow1:

Oilworker

Explorer
Back and Santa Claus just returned, because he forgot something :)

110105rk_PL05221_web800.jpg

110105rk_PL05224_web800.jpg

...the new full external roll cage for the 130CC :wings:

As we spend today working on the service truck for our trip to Tunesia, which takes off next weekend....

110105rk_PL05213_web800.jpg

...I didn´t get anything done on my truck, but tomorrow it´s go :victory:

So long,

Robert

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle