An expedition truck on portals...

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Try Khunke (sp) they do some very tough stuff in the solenoid dept

Or anything marine

The Albright solenoids have problems with condensation and well as water ingress. The seal (that read bit) is pretty crappy when it gets brittle/hard. You could replace it with neoprene. It also relies on pressure created by the fit of the screws - which is not always top dog.

Warn used to do a three pot solenoid - heavy duty. That was pretty good. Looked like one and half albrights stuck together

Also give Simon at Xeng a bell

Oilworker

Explorer
Thanx! I just send Simon an email.

Meanwhile I spend the day sorting stuff and fitting the snorkel assembly to take all measurements for cutting and adapting on the car.

20110516rk_PL05845_cut800t.jpg

Will cut and reconnect tomorrow, which will lower the Safari Snorkel head by approx. 5".
That should do the trick when the brushguards are raised, as soon as the new lights are mounted and the baja-bar is fitted.

Now I´m back to finishing my articles about the Croatia Trophy.

By the way, who´s done the Trans America Trail (TAT) full length in a car?

macsnoer

Hej Robert!
Is the yellow/sand Defender on the Portals this one you were talking about a few pages before with ABS? Every Td4 is I guess got ABS... Does it work well?
More detailed snorkel pictures I wanna see! ;)
Koljas Defender looks pretty normal next to your´s. :)

Sven

Oilworker

Explorer
Hi,

the sand coloured Defender is the one Wolfgang Tibus build for himself as a daily driver and to prove that the portals won´t break (he fitted a 8.1L V8 but that´s another story).

I am still working on the snorkel bit, as it´s rather difficult to properl fit a snorkel with a full external roll cage.
I chose to use the Mantec snorkel again, which I had already used (but poorly fitted during a rallye) on my Defender 110, and this time top it off with the Safari Snorkel head.
Tomorrow is cutting and fitting day :)

More images will follow....

Oilworker

Explorer
En route to a friend´s workshop yesterday, to continue the preparations for the upcoming Breslau Rallye I passed this 110SW and it´s probably the most awesome roof rack I´ve ever seen :Wow1: :drool:

20110526rk_PL05909_cut800t.jpg

20110526rk_PL05924_cut800t.jpg

20110526rk_PL05925_cut800t.jpg

20110526rk_PL05912_cut800t.jpg

So long,

Robert

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
WOW! that is a cool rack.

Do you know what the cutout and ring in the front right corner are for?

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
Mark

Oilworker

Explorer
The cout out is some sort of sealed connector which he used to go through the roof.
The "ring" is just a cable..

20110526rk_PL05912_cut800t.jpg

I will try to check who´s the owner of this truck or who build this rack. The finish was amazing :Wow1:

Oilworker

Explorer
Here´s some new pictures....

Playing last weekend...
20110605_34244_cut800px_72dpi.jpg

..and appart from striping the truck I installed my new diff-guard.....
20110610rk_PL06197_web800t.jpg

20110610rk_PL06198_web800t.jpg

20110610rk_PL06199_web800t.jpg

20110610rk_PL06200_web800t.jpg

Oilworker

Explorer
Worst of all is the way it fits....just loosen the radius arm bolts, unbolt the lower side of the panhard rod and on it is :Wow1:
Really nice :D

Red90

Adventurer
That is really pretty, but it is strange they did not extend it to protect the track rod especially at that price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman