An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
Thanx!!!!
I'll fly into Vegas and enjoy the drive through the desert instead of the big city chaos.
Gear is packed and ready.
Wow, I am really looking forward to this experience :D

Oilworker

Explorer
Now I had to fly over to the KoH to find my new Hutchinson Double Beadlock wheels.

Hutchinson_WA-1785_000001_web800t.jpg

I only need to tell Hutchinson that they make them already!

Last edited:

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Now I had to fly over to the KoH to find my new Hutchinson Double Beadlock wheels.
I only need to tell Hutchinson that they make them already!

Sounds like trying to buy something from Dana.....

Oilworker

Explorer
Dana??? Who?
No, but my little pocket camera and notebook is fullof new ideas and it was great to see a lot of great solitions life for the first time..

Oilworker

Explorer
I tried almighty Google tonight and gave my contact at Hutchinson Europe a final chance, too, but these wheels seem so secret that will probably have to take the 5 I saw here on the lakebed with me ;-)
For one I am really happy again that I didn't go for less load and chose the Toyota wheels.

Oilworker

Explorer
Jeff,
I took tons of images and am probably as curious to see them as you guys are. My Toughbook finally failed on me the day after my arrival, which is why I am down to my iPhone for all posting.

20130208_RK_09126_web1200t-2_helo.jpg

I am flying out tomorrow, after a brief visit at Overland Journal' office in Prescott, AZ, and will start uploading images as soon as I am back at my place.

Last edited:

psykokid

Explorer
KOH is good for planting all sorts of devious ideas in ones head. I kept a look out for you on Friday while i was up for the race, didn't end up seeing you.. Hope you had a good time and cant wait to hear what your take on things was.

Oilworker

Explorer
Friday I started out at RM 44 and got some great wide-angle shots some of them with helicopter in the back.

20130208_RK_09126_web1200t-2_helo.jpg

Then I went to Chocolate Thunder and stayed there the rest of the day.

20130209_RK_09327_cut1200t.jpg

Thanks again to Chris for offering me a ride those days ;-)

About new ideas?! Well, most important is I found my new Hutchinson double beedlock wheels. They are 8.5x17", have the right offset and back-spacing and exceed my load capacity criteria by almost a 1000lbs (!)

Hutchinson_8.5x17_Project_Rhino.jpg

WA-1785 
Hutchinson Specification Sheet
Rim Size 17X8.5 in [431.8X215.9 mm
Rim Contour TRA - J (ISO)
Offset 2.125 in [54.0 mm]
Mounting Pattern: 8 Holes on 6.5 in [165.1 mm] B.C.D.
Hub Bore: 4.814 in [122.3 mm]
Load Rating 4200 lb @ 65 psi [1905.1 kg @ 4.48 bar]
Weight 40.9 lb [18.6 kg]
Material: Aluminum - Forged
Balance Type: None
Tire Size: 37X12.5R17

Other than that I got some better understanding of rear axle suspension/long trailing arms, which is something I had been thinking about for a while.

Very neet cockpit configurations and a really nice solution to fit both radiator and intercooler to the back.

As soon as I have done the first stories this week I will go through my list of things.

I was also amazed by the great amount of equipment that we don't even know about in Europe.

Last edited:

psykokid

Explorer
Ahh, i started the day out near Backdoor and then after the majority of the field made its way through we moved over to the entrance of Wrecking Ball and camped out there till the leaders came through on their third lap. After that we made our way back down to Hamertown and hung out till the first 3 finishers came across the podium. At that point we went back to camp out on the lakebed and started a fire to drive off the chill. I hung out with the Gigglepin guys on Saturday morning as they fixed their rear end and then headed out about noon..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior