An expedition truck on portals...

Oilworker

Explorer
Howdy!

Well, I will be coming to cover the KoH 2014!!!!
I will be staying for about 2 weeks doing a little road trip, too.

My 130CC-R(hino) is currently awaiting a ton of new stuff to be fitted and installed, but sadly a lot is still in fabrication and won´t arrive until mid or late January.
I will have some previews and sketches online after christmas, though.

All modifications are now focused on finishing the project as I had though it up many years ago and then finally go on the big trip….will have to see how it all comes together….

I am really looking forward to seeing you guys on the Lakebed!

Meanwhile another little update.
Very early in this thread I mentioned that one of the driving ideas behind my bolt-on portal concept was to offer a quick-to-fit upgrade to increase the passenger safety of existing off road cars in military or NGO use.
Well, the german company Alpha Armouring (www.alpha-armouring.com/index.html) listened and went to great length to develop a demonstrator vehicle using my 5" built-in portals on strengthened Mercedes G axles:
The "VALIANT"

Valiant_Frontview.jpg

Valiant_Sideview.jpg

Valiant_Rearview.jpg

More information on the projects website…

http://www.project-valiant.de/home.html

…and a video they shot when they shot at the car…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HpxrvQ36wA

The protection level achieved in this car has never before been reached in a wheeled personal car!

Last edited:

Tbars

Adventurer
...Save me a seat in the rhino..

Ill tag along with if you got room but it looks like the race is going to be even bigger this year.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Fantastic Robert! Have you gone away from Wolfgang's portals then, or taken his and gone further and developed your own?

psykokid

Explorer
Very nice, will have to make sure we get a chance to meet up this year. What's your schedule like this time around?

Oilworker

Explorer
Still the prototype bolt-on portals fitted that Wolfgang Tibus build for me almost 5 years ago….they keep running and amazingly well, too.

I am not sure about my schedule for the upcoming KoH. I want to make the most of this visit and not only cover the whole event but also shoot a little road story. The latter I am just working on as I am also looking to rent the proper vehicle to do that.

So long

mog9

I am glad to hear that our portals on Robert´s truck are still do their work.

The portals on the "Valiant" are our 4" portals. In the future they use our new generation 2 portals with bigger wheel bearings and bigger outer shafts to be on the safe side with the heavy weight of the armoured truck. We will deliver the first set to them next week.

Just finished our first car with the new generation of portals

16840026dj.jpg

Comparison of bearings: left Defender, middle Mercedes G, right our new big bearing!

16840027qw.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Loving that bumper Wolfgang.
Whoa that's a huge bearing! Glad to know the G is bigger than the Defender <nudge nudge you Rover guys lol> ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior