An expedition truck on portals...

wuntenn

Adventurer
Aye, I've done several. Closed cell foam (as suggested already) is the way to go. I used 8mm stuff - get it by the 8x4 foot sheet from a 'chemical converter'. You may need to experiment with the various glue types available. Some of the aerosols don't tolerate high temps and will crack and drop the foam on your head in the summer (dont ask how I know). The most reliable method I've found is EvoStik - they do a white low-VOC version which will ensure you dont get brain damage when sticking it in. If your roof is off and you can do it the right way up (ie upside down) then it makes life easier. (Whatever you do dont use open cell foam, its a moisture-absorbing smelly mess that will result). I've then stuck cheap nylon automotive carpet over the top. Warm, quiet, pretty.

R Thomas

Observer
Search for Ensolite IOU. It is peel and stick and works for thermal and acoustic insulation. The rolls are 36 inches wide and flexible enough to make work in tight corners.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

godfather82

took me 5 nights to read this entire thread and im happy to follow. i'm also from Jeepolog.com (one of the forum managers).

bless you all, and especially robert and tibus for giving us ideas on how to extend the capabilities of our madness :)

portals on a suzuki samurai anyone ? :)

Amir

Excelsior

Observer
This may be a little late, but I had the Cepek FC-II's on my Tacoma for a while, and they are -terrible- in snow. I recently changed to Wrangler Duratracs and they are a marvelous improvement in every way. Don't know if you can get them in your size, or how available they are for you, but I've actually been kind of bummed because I can't slide around in snow anymore without putting it in 2WD and really smashing the throttle. Mud performance (On our ridiculous high-clay mud) is also stellar.

Oilworker

Explorer
Not to late for tyre advice ;-)
Not yet.
Depending on the delivery date of my wheel, it may become the Super Swamper TrXus M/T Radial 38.5x14.50R16LT.
How soft is the side-wall on these? Any idea?

Oilworker

Explorer
I just checked myself and it´s here, too…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Defender

Wikipedia_Land_Rover_Defender.jpg

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Super Swamper TrXus M/T Radial 38.5x14.50R16LT.
How soft is the side-wall on these? Any idea?

I have a set on my Pinzgauer and have two "sidewall" punctures on a section of the tread I thought was more tread than sidewall... not sure if the belts are smaller than others but it was a bummer. The performance on ice / snow was better before the siping cuts disappeared as they were worn down. Overall I would say they are a good tire for on/off road use with the off-road part being more heavily weighted.

They air down very wheel - I can send you a picture of my truck as one tire has a slow leak and its low again. I'd say they are very "soft" when airing down compared to other Swampers.

Oilworker

Explorer
Greetings from the road, guys.

Whatever you do and whatever you drive, make sure it´s all-wheel drive ;-)

KOH2014_Robert-on-Rokon_web1200t.jpg

I used this Rokon (thanx to Jay Couch of Couch Offroad Engineering) as my press vehicle during the King of the Hammers 2014 and it was sooo much fun, but also scary where it would go (I got lost one night and ended up on top of a hill that I would´t have dared to climb at daylight)

karma11

Observer
Robert, first is, such a beautiful truck. really inspiring! second, id like to ask a few questions, if that's OK.

I know you are a professional photographer, when you are on the rallyes and other drives, how many extra batteries do you take for your camera, and what kind of camera do you use? This is assuming you have some way of charging them in the Rhino. also what kind of spares do you take for you photography, memory sticks, hard drives. etc. oh and i don't think i have seen better pictures anywhere, you need to increase your rates! What format do you normally use? absolutely beautiful!!

in one of your earlier posts, I think it was you mentioned that Tibus was possibly looking into doing drop boxes for IFS. it might have been killer axles. if so have you heard anything about that? if they have made it work or not? i think there would be a huge market if someone could develop it for IFS more specifically the newer Toyota Tacoma's

when your on the race's what kind of supplies do you take? 1-2 bottles of water little bit of food? or is it much more, enough to last until the end of the race? I guess I've always been interested in the little things, like what you take with you to survive. what have you taken and not needed, or needed and not had?

Thank you very much for what you can answer!
Andrew

krl81

Adventurer
Hello Robert!
I'm not sure if this is up your alley at all but I still thought I might give you a hint. 28 of February and 1st of March Landracing (Sweden) is having an event. Speed Weekend on ice. "Land"speed record on ice, all kinds of vehicles Audis with almost 1000 bhp, V1 rocket powered snow mobile, you name it.

http://landracing.se/ take a look at the website and see for yourself. It's in Swedish but German and Swedish is related so... :)

I'm giving you this hint because it might be something for your likings and it might give me a chance of meeting you and see your car in person. :)

Best regards Kristoffer-Robin

Oilworker

Explorer
Thanx Andrew.

I am always trying to travel light and take gear that won´t let me down.

KoH2014 - Gear.jpg

I work with Nikon for more than 25 years and am always using 2 bodies.
On long trips I may pack a 3rd body as a spare.

Currently I shoot with a modified and upgraded D3(s) and a D3s and usually 4 batteries.
All lenses are max. f=2.8 and I mostly use 2.8/17-35, 2.8/70-200 and 2.8/300
Most commonly I use the 17-35 on the D3s and the 300 on the D3.
If I need longer lenses I rent them from Nikon NPS, like a 5.6/800 ;-)
Flash is Nikon SB-900, sometimes with a Quantum Turbo power pack.

I never use filters (in deep mud I use clear glass filters).

When traveling by car I sometimes take a portable power pack to charge my gear, in my truck I have enough power to charge it all.

For drinks I carry a water pack from SOURCE and hardly take any food with me.
I try to have a good breakfast, pack a few power bars and have dinner later…

Finally comfortable, warm and tough boots (in winter and during muddy races it´s my Dubarry´s) otherwise my Double-H workbooks.
Clothing is always Carhartt as it´s tough, water repellent and comfortable!

About the bolt-on portals for IFS/IFR I will update later.

karma11

Observer
Robert,

Thanks for all of your answers! the camera ones, help a novice / amateur photographer like myself.. i am lucky that i have a good camera to work with, i chose the Nikon D90.

It sounds like we have a similar philosophy, buy good quality gear once, well as im getting up in years myself im finally getting on to buying my second and thirds sets of some things.

the photo that you linked, it looks to be the gear that you pack on your person? as you are out shooting the races? I guess as far as the question about supplies i was thinking more along the lines of what you carry in your truck? I sadly have never been to any kind of off road race or event. but after traveling throughout the mid east i didn't notice alot of places to buy bottled i.e. (safe) water to drink. for the rallyes im sure there are alot of vendors out with the racers selling food and what not?
When i was a boy i was in the boy scouts, and when i grew up was in the military. "be prepared" has a certain ring to it for me. I guess i was just asking what you take with you in your beautiful truck to be prepared so you don't starve or get dehydrated.

Thank you again, I will be looking up those brands of boots, im not familiar with them. Ive worn Redwing boots for the last 25 yrs, and by far the best boot i personally have worn. but i am always open to new brands. speaking of gear. i have alot of Carhartt gear myself but i recently found out they are starting to make their stuff in china. and i have found the quality to be slipping just a little. still great gear, but im always looking for alternatives. another brand i found that will stand the test of time is the Filson brand. i am wearing some Filson shirts my grandfather used to wear when he was my age. that should tell you something.

Keep up the great work. and i am more than interested in the drop boxes for the IFS boxes for the late model Toyota Tacoma PLEASE keep me posted on that! hehehehe

p.s. is German your native language? if so your English is exceptional!
p.s.s if possible maybe post up some pics of the behind the scenes stuff. on your website i was only to look at maybe a dozen pictures. and nowhere else to click on. ill try again and see if it was just me.

Edit: Robert I saw Oregon plates on! have you moved? i sure hope so, ill come down and see that beast anytime!! im just north of portland, in woodland, WA if your ever in the area, you always have a bed and a meal or two!

Thank you very much
Andrew

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan