An old Ugly Pickup "Build"

Smart move! 4 years ago I sold my Lexus and duramax and got a 1972 ford F250 and now also have an '86 Toy. No car payments, no excessive insurance costs, it's surprising how much money you have when your not paying for those things. People may tell you an older rig can't be a d.d., since a guy decided to park on top of my motorcycle my toy has been my daily in Portland traffic with no problems.

Yeah! I havent not regretted it one bit. Have had so much fun with this little truck. And best part is i never have to worry about getting a ding or scratch here or there. Old vehicles are cheap and liberating. Gotta love it.

I'm running Trail-Gear bumpers on both of my trucks... it's hard to beat the price! And add me to the list for people running older rigs as daily drivers...

Sweet you found my thread! :) Thanks for the TG feedback. Think im going to pull the trigger on that rear bumper. That hitch receiver would work great for a hitch mount bike rack i assume?

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
This thread title reminds me of that movie, "50 First Dates".

Something like...

Ula: You mean you want to wake up to the same, old ugly broad day after day?
[Wife gives him the finger]
[Ula to wife] "Just keedin', Mumu
One of Ula's kids: "About the old part or the ugly part?"

turbotommy

Observer
ill send you some info on some good spots. its not to busy up here that time of year and if your camping you will have a lot of places to yourself

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Cool truck Tyler,

I bet it was a bit of a shock moving from an RSX to an old Toyota truck. What they lack in power they sure make up for in determination and smiles.

I sure miss my ole ’90. Would like to find another someday. Drove this thing all through college and only replace a water pump.
3130663047_9e4013a089_z.jpg

DIY Guy

Observer
Dude my truck started off almost exactly like yours! Now 6 years later my girlfriend and I can't imagine life without "Adventure Truck" and have had some of the best times in/with it. Ive got over 250k on the same motor you have and though I will admit it's a bit underpowered it's as reliable as the day is long. You guys are going to have the best time! Good decision, GREAT find and love the direction is heading in - keep us posted! ! : )

I did! I would assume the same.

Awesome, ive decided im getting that rear bumper! Thank you!

This thread title reminds me of that movie, "50 First Dates".

Something like...

Ula: You mean you want to wake up to the same, old ugly broad day after day?
[Wife gives him the finger]
[Ula to wife] "Just keedin', Mumu
One of Ula's kids: "About the old part or the ugly part?"

Hahaha no kidding!

ill send you some info on some good spots. its not to busy up here that time of year and if your camping you will have a lot of places to yourself

Dude, much appreciated!! So stoked to go up there!

Classic! Ouch that hurts, my first new car was a 1990 Toyota 4x4 bought in '91 when I was 19.

Hahah, thats a pretty rad first vehicle.

Dude my truck started off almost exactly like yours! Now 6 years later my girlfriend and I can't imagine life without "Adventure Truck" and have had some of the best times in/with it. Ive got over 250k on the same motor you have and though I will admit it's a bit underpowered it's as reliable as the day is long. You guys are going to have the best time! Good decision, GREAT find and love the direction is heading in - keep us posted! ! : )

Epic man, glad to hear the good ole 3vze hasnt done ya wrong. I have no question about its strength. It just has its little issues here and there, and as you said.. really lacks power. But since ive owned my truck, ive really come to know how to properly drive it and use its power.. Even if that means slamming it into 3rd at 45mph in the mountains haha. I feel like at this point ive replaced all the usual suspects on it, so overall think im in good shape. Although im having a cold weather high idle/idle surge issue. Think its my coolant temp sensor? Im going to throw one at it soon, see if that fixes it. Either that or the new thermostat i did a few months back is sticking? Well see.
Ill go check out your thread forsure :)

DIY Guy

Observer
A year or two ago my 3vze did the same idle surge thing for a couple weeks then never did it again, it didn't cause any trouble and I wasn't in a big hurry to take apart my daily driver in the middle of winter. As for TG, I bought their winch plate and was impressed with the construction, especially for the price. I've had it on for a few years now with zero problems. Would definitely recommend!

Hanks94

Nice truck! Have to love the Trail-Gear bumper for the price. I've backed into rocks, got hit (low speed) last week and besides some scratched paint the bumper is holding up great. Also have to love craigslist for cheap shells, I got mine for $60!!!

Attachments

• WP_000504.jpg
    WP_000504.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 23

Box Rocket

Super cool truck. These are my favorite era of Toyota minitrucks. I personally think that these early '90s trucks have the best lines of any of the Toyota pickups. I had a '93 reg cab and loved it and ended up selling it after I lost my job. But otherwise I'd still have it for sure. Lots of potential with these trucks. If you keep the IFS they make for very comfortable little exploration rigs with good capability. They are also relatively simple to do a SAS and turn them into killer crawlers. They're just really versatile. Subbed for updates.
Here's a couple shots of my old one that might provide an idea or two.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Super cool truck. These are my favorite era of Toyota minitrucks. I personally think that these early '90s trucks have the best lines of any of the Toyota pickups. I had a '93 reg cab and loved it and ended up selling it after I lost my job. But otherwise I'd still have it for sure. Lots of potential with these trucks. If you keep the IFS they make for very comfortable little exploration rigs with good capability. They are also relatively simple to do a SAS and turn them into killer crawlers. They're just really versatile. Subbed for updates.
Here's a couple shots of my old one that might provide an idea or two.

Come on Adam... you always make me feel like my trucks are junk when you post pictures of that blue beast :drool:. (The new 80 is looking great already as well BTW!)

Box Rocket

Come on Adam... you always make me feel like my trucks are junk when you post pictures of that blue beast :drool:. (The new 80 is looking great already as well BTW!)

Are you kidding me? I love both of your trucks. Fantastic examples of what you can do with these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman