[Android] Back Country Navigator vs. Gaia GPS vs. Trimble Outdoor Naviagtor??

kbahus

Adventurer
Just picked up a Tab 3 8.0 and downloaded Orux. I am wondering how I download a map set to the Sd card for use without wifi (new to android and this software). Also, which maps does everyone prefer for sat or topo use? There seems to be quite a few options.

gahi

Adventurer
I use garmin topo maps, they don't render perfectly, but they are vector based, so they take up very little storage.

To download one of the online maps for offline use. First open the map you want to use, the zoom out to show the entire area you want to download. Hit the Map button on the top menu > go to Map Creator > then mark two opposite corners of the area. Hit the check "OK" then select your zoom levels. The higher numbers are closer zoom. This is where the memory really starts getting used up.

theksmith

Explorer
I used Back Country Navigator this weekend. Overall I was mildly impressed. Despite the fact that I pre-downloaded an area, when I lost cell reception, I lost the maps (what???).

sounds like maybe you were still on "main tile cache" instead of switching to the tile cache you created when pre-downloading

RubiChris

Observer
Anyone else have an issue with the Caltopo 24 (that they recommend using) having tiles in the wrong place on the map? New Mexico seems to be messed up. I'm still trying to figure the program out. Is there a source for free vector topos somewhere? My Nexus 7 has a fixed storage of 16gig so the smaller the 24k map file is, the better. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle