Another budget build (2WD)

john difool

Observer
I did it. Bought this van on eBay, picked her up in Flagstaff/AZ and brought her to Denver yesterday. Nice and smooth drive (except the snow and ice action in the mountains).
2004 E250 5.4l 97k miles and a posi in the rear. Yay!
The van was build as a wheelchair accessible one and the chairlift is still in there.
I will be setting her up as a road tripping-/camping rig. Chairlift and rear bench will come out (no seats have been in there). More details will follow.

Very first step: new tires (as there is a set of studded snow tires on there) I'm planning on putting the maxx lift 2in spacers in the front to get a bit taller tires underneath. - Should I put these spacer in the back as well?
I'm thinking of 265/75/16 - or can I go taller?
As I have that limited slip diff in the rear - would it make sense to put AT's in the back and some "regular" tires in the front?
Also thinking of Bilsteins 4600 series shocks all around. Right choice?
The driver seat is a bit worn out and not comfortable anymore. I'm thinking of getting a pair of used seats from Audi, Volkswagen or some Recaros in. I will have to custom fit these (onto a swivel base). - Any concerns (other than the armrest) here? Am i limited by any dimensions on a non-standard seat?

I've been told by my colleagues that I bought a "creeper van". As I am from Germany, I wasn't really aware of that. - Removing the decor stripes and the step side/fairing things should decreepify that to some degree, right?
Here the first photos. More to come. Bonus points if you can tell where i spent the night.

Cheers,
Andreas

Attachments

• 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 117
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    381 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Nice conversion van! Would that be Monument Valley?

That's not a creeper van at all. Here's a creeper van:

creepervan.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Personally I wouldnt mix and match tires. Just because it's not a drive axle (yet) doesnt mean the front end doesnt require traction. Plus you can run one spare.

Removing the running boards (fairing things) is a definite move in the right direction. Never did like those molded versions. Same with dumping the pinstripes.

Your tire choice is probably not a problem as it sits, and probably no problem at all if you add the spacers. It's only about a 31.5" tire. What's on there now? There are online tire size charts/conversion calculators. Plug in what you have, then what you want, and grab a tape measure and go see if the difference is going to be an issue.

Looks like a nice ride.

john difool

Observer
thanks tgreening, i don't think the front axle on this one will ever be a driven one. i keep the mix and match option open.
yeah, "running boards". stuff like that always has to go right away.
31.5 would be be a big step up. 225/75/16 are on there at the moment. the rear side of the front wheel well is the limiting factor from what i understand. looking for people who done the 2in maxx "lift" and their results.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I've had 265/75-16 on a stock E350 twice before with out a single problem. Looks good too.

john difool

Observer
draaroner, that looks good.
BajaSportsmobile - I'm in for that. you got a link or parts number for the coil springs you recommend?

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
Van looks good.
I just put 2" maxx lift on my E350 diesel seems to work just fine. Order the block kit for the rear at the same time. I had 265/75/16 on it already but they did rub in turns.
Good luck.

john difool

Observer
thanks heloflyboy, will do.
so, i changed my mind on the tire size. want to go with 235/85/16, probably Bridgestone Dueler A-T Revo 2.
if i don't get any other input on the maxx lift, i will order that one pretty soon.

now, what shocks should i order with that kind of setup?

dentedvw

Wire twister
I also used the maxx lift. Works great, rides terrific. Blocks in the back. Using stock size shocks in the back, and full size bronco shocks in the front. The front shocks are a little bouncy for this heavy vehicle, and they are a bit leggy, letting the front drop out pretty far from the wheel well. You can also use extenders for stock length shocks. I would do that rather than the bronco shocks next time. If you have a shop do all the work, they might have better luck finding a right length shock though. I was using NAPA cross reference book to find the shocks, and just gave in after a while and compromised.
We are using 265/75/16, and they work great for us. Nitto Terra Grapplers. We have the Dueler tires on our Tacoma, and they seem okay as well, seem comparable. I put them on some used 8 lug chevy wheels I bought cheaply.

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I used home made shock extenders up front since my shocks were good and left rear shocks alone. Keep in mind at the time you are installing kit that you should look at tie rod ends, ball joints, radius arm bushings and wheel bearings for wear. The van will also need a camber bushing kit and an alignment. Shocks are up to you I would like to go with 5100 Bilsteins eventually.

john difool

Observer
thanks guys.
the PO had the ball joints an bearings done recently.
i will check with coloradocampervan if the put it all in for me. otherwise i'm gonna order the parts myself and have my local mechanic do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle