Another camping gear/utility/off-road trailer

cjj98xj

flashing over plywood. I'd have never thought of that. Great way to save $. What did you use to glue the two together?

nfunlimited

Observer
I used contact cement. I cut the plywood to fit first, dry fit it, then drilled the holes. Then I brought it in the house and cut the flashing to fit. I used tin snips, then a dremel to make it perfect. The contact cement really smelled up the house.

Then once it was dry I drilled holes in the flashing to match. It was only $2.99 a foot for 18 inch wide....which I needed. The plywood is 5/8 on the sides and 3/4 on the bottom. I stained the wood first for protection too. Then I siliconed all the joins once it was all bolted in place.

jagular7

Adventurer
Nice setup.

An idea for that dropped tailgate, make it removable for use as a table top. On the inside you can install a set of folding table legs. They are readily available at Lowes, HD, etc.

To get more space with a top, have you thought of measuring the top rail of the sides and compare it to a camper top for a small pickup? I saved this for an idea like that.
11-16-08001.jpg

If it was one of those commercial contractor type, the side windows would fold down to access an inner shelf. Put that shelf on rollers and there you go, kitchen.....

Last edited:

nfunlimited

Observer
Truck cap as camper top.......goor idea!!! I was thinking down the road I would convert it to something like the adventure trailer flip-top truck camper thing, and use more of the material to make a tent. I could use stainless steel 7/8" tubing for the poles. Our shop has access to it for boat tops and railings. The truck camper would be much easier.

For my tailgate....I welded hinges on so it would be a bit difficult to remove at the moment......but I plan on adding cable to hold it flat like a pickup, then remove the cables if I want it to drop fully. I would be able to use that as a bit of a table. Its only a matter of making some new hinges though!!!

nfunlimited

Observer
Ok. Here are a few pics of my electrical system. There is one circuit for the light in the tongue box, and another for the light in the main area......which has its own switch. I plan to add an inverter, and maybe some spot/reverse lights too.
Jeepsusp129.jpg

Jeepsusp130.jpg

Jeepsusp131.jpg

The fuse panel is a marine product mounted to some stainless sheet I had left around. The bottom of the box is ply to give some strength.

Jeeplander

Holy gess.....another Corner Brooker, I was reading your post, and said I seen that jeep around town. Nice job on the trailer. I'm in the same process of building a trailer, I have it on hold for now, due to engine issues..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle