ANOTHER Guy With A Gen 2.5 Build - Sure, why Not? It's My First!

T

twistedsmily

Clean bumper. Got a question about the wheels. You said they are 15x8 with 3.5" Backspacing. Did u order then from somewhere.
Are they lug or hub centric. Would love some like that

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
I got them on Craigslist. They are lug centric, but the hub is a tight fit too.

Clean bumper. Got a question about the wheels. You said they are 15x8 with 3.5" Backspacing. Did u order then from somewhere.
Are they lug or hub centric. Would love some like that

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I forget (and I don't want to tread through 106 posts) is this an overlanding build or for "more adventurous" wheeling? I ask since the bumpers will take a lot of punishment and trimming the rear lower 1/4 panel will help give clearance normally not required when overlanding.

For more clearance it might be worth it to do a body lift and raise your gas tank higher. Depends on your objectives...

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Oh and if you decide to make a stronger skid plate for your gas tank, you'd probably have numerous local owners who would be potential customers.

jlocster

Explorer
Oh and if you decide to make a stronger skid plate for your gas tank, you'd probably have numerous local owners who would be potential customers.

Hint, hint :D

Bumper looks fantastic, Kirk. I really appreciate you documenting your build techniques, its very helpful.

Last edited:

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
Mostly overlanding with some unnecessary screwing around. Cutting the quarter is as much for looks as for purpose. If I bend or break stuff, that's just means more fabrication fun. The bumpers are not meant for too much serious abuse and definit ely not for strap recovery. That's why the d-ring mounts are on the frame. the bumpers are more heavy duty than they look

I have a 1.5" body lift already installed. I do plan to raise the gas tank as much as I can and build a better skid plate for it, of just reinforce the stock one.

I forget (and I don't want to tread through 106 posts) is this an overlanding build or for "more adventurous" wheeling? I ask since the bumpers will take a lot of punishment and trimming the rear lower 1/4 panel will help give clearance normally not required when overlanding.

For more clearance it might be worth it to do a body lift and raise your gas tank higher. Depends on your objectives...

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Mostly overlanding with some unnecessary screwing around. Cutting the quarter is as much for looks as for purpose. If I bend or break stuff, that's just means more fabrication fun. The bumpers are not meant for too much serious abuse and definit ely not for strap recovery. That's why the d-ring mounts are on the frame. the bumpers are more heavy duty than they look

I have a 1.5" body lift already installed. I do plan to raise the gas tank as much as I can and build a better skid plate for it, of just reinforce the stock one.
Yeah, I noticed where the loops for d rings were at.

As for the tank armor, I'm serious about being interested in buying from you should you elect to build something stronger for it.

If your interested, we can let others know on 4x4wire and a whole ton of interested parties will chime in... Assuming its reasonably priced which is prob obvious... ;)

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Did you get to look under mind at the San Mateo Expo? My tank is raised 2" to match my lift. We used the OE mounts and modified them is all.

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
It was nice to be home for a weekend and be able to get a lot done on the Monty.

I started by trimming the rear quarters. I taped them and then cut them off with an angle grinder and a Sawsall. Then I made filler plates and tacked them in. Welding sheet metal is not my specialty, but they ended up OK (no photo though). I siliconed the welds to make sure there were no pinholes and then moved the drain tubes up.

cb_montero-141.jpg

cb_montero-142.jpg

cb_montero-143.jpg

cb_montero-144.jpg

cb_montero-145.jpg

cb_montero-146.jpg

cb_montero-147.jpg

Then I spent some time scuffing the silver panels and cleaning everything up that was going to get coated with the roll-on bed liner. I went with Monstaliner because it is UV stable. After everything was masked off I mixed the catalyst into the Monstaliner and started brushing it onto the places I would not be able to get the roller. Next came the first coat with the roller. It said the usual drying time was 3-5 hours, but it was pretty warm today and it was ready for the second coat in about an hour and a half. The second coat went on great and super easy. I'm VERY happy with the result. Then, as per the instructions, I peeled the tape off before it dried too much. I will eventually paint black over the rest of the silver that is in the door sills.

cb_montero-148.jpg

First coat.
cb_montero-149.jpg

cb_montero-150.jpg

Finished result
cb_montero-151.jpg

cb_montero-152.jpg

cb_montero-153.jpg

Since I was done with the bedliner, but still had more daylight left, I decided to add an orange stripe to the side to match the other orange accents already finished. I just taped it all off and sprayed base-coat color and then the clear coat. It came out pretty well. When the other orange bits I also painted are dry (like the d-rings) I'll put them on and get another photo.

cb_montero-154.jpg

cb_montero-155.jpg

cb_montero-156.jpg

Once the rear bumper and tailgate trim piece were dry (they got Monstaliner too) I put them and the taillights back on. Overall I'm pretty stoked with it.

cb_montero-157.jpg

cb_montero-158.jpg

cb_montero-159.jpg

cb_montero-160.jpg

cb_montero-161.jpg

cb_montero-162.jpg

cb_montero-163.jpg

cb_montero-164.jpg

cb_montero-135.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads