another KLR thread

Cody1771

Explorer
Hey guys, so ive been looking at Enduro type bikes for some times and ive decided to go with the KLR for various reasons mainly to do with financials. there are alot of the 2004/2005 models available in my area. what i was wondering is what are the big differences from say an 04 compaired to going and buying an 09 from a dealership? i can pick up an 04 for less than 4500CDN compaired to about 7000CDN for a new one

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Cody, slip over to KLR650.net and check out their Forum.
There is a lot of KLR specific knowledge there.
They have a new and old Gen Forums too.
THis is a great sight too but it has less traffic here on KLR's.
I'm there too. I have an 06 that I have tricked out for my Expeditions.

Curtis

spencyg

This Space For Rent
There was a complete redesign in '08, so the 04 bike and the 08 bike have very little in common. The KLR is not so much an "Enduro" bike in the way a DR350 is...it is heavy and not all that nimble on the trails. It should be classified more along the lines (at least in function) with a BMW GS series bike or the larger KTM's. They are "Adventure Bikes" which can certainly hold their own with the right rider, but aren't anywhere near as good on the trail as a true dirtbike. They are also somewhat "Buzzy" on the street depending on your choice of tires....that single cylinder drones on after awhile. I had a KLR for a couple years and finally got rid of it because of the amount of compromises which I was making....not excellent on the street, not excellent on the trail...but at the same time not really terrible either. Guess it depends on how you ride and what you envision using the bike for. If you are 90% dirt, I wouldn't get it. If you are 90% street, I wouldn't get it. If you are somewhere between the two, it might be a good compromise.

Spence

scarysharkface

Explorer
There's a lot more in-common between the earlier KLRs and the new ones, but the new ones do have better suspension, lights and highway manners. New ones are also a bit heavier if I recall..

Here's mine yesterday:

621906748_QTtVL-XL.jpg

It's an '06 and I've upgraded the front springs and a handful of other little stuff. I rode it across Labrador last summer...

John

coop74

Old Camping Dude
Go with the older bike. They are a lot cheaper to buy but offer you a great deal of the things that make the KLR great. You can take the extra monies and fully kit out the bike.

Coop

Cody1771

Explorer
yeah i was leaning more toward the 2004 model, id be saving about 3g that i can put into the diesel conversion for my truck or kiting the bike out

805gregg

Adventurer
Older models are just the same, they have been the same since about 1986, except, except the new models which are 100lbs heavier and have 2" less ground clearance. Get the older model, no matter what you do to them they are worth about $3,400-$3,800, thats it. It's the swiss army knife of motorcycles, but the vibrations killed me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12