Another newbie!

Don-Key

Hey guys, another newb here

To start with, I own a 85 x-tra cab Toyota that is carburated :( It has 63'in chevy springs in the rear,twin t-cased with gears. My concern is goin expo with it the way that it is set up for rock crawling. I've been concidering turning it into an expo rig for a couple reasons. One, our trails are slowly getting shut down year by year and Two, in a couple years will posibly making a move to Arizona and there's alot of open country there.

Thoughts of starting with a carb'ed engine, and the truck platform that is built for rock crawling?

I did read TOYRUNNER95 build and gave some good info, just not sure if it is smart to go in reverse with my truck of "tuning" it down or start with a new platform.

Here is a pic of it,
100_4980.jpg

100_4981.jpg

Off-Grid Engineering

Supporting Sponsor
Good lookin truck!

My question to you would be; How does it drive? If it's reasonably comfortable set up the way it is, I'd leave it. If it rides like a rock-crawler, myabe you could remove a leaf or two from each pack. That would not only lower your COG but provide a more comfortable ride as well. On the Fuel injection issue: I'm sure there is an EFI conversion out there with your name on it. If you got away with non-EFI for rock-crawling with all those off camber situations, you should be fine for expedition travel. The only reason I would recommend fuel injection would be for reliability and mileage.

Over all though, you've got a good start for any type of offroad travel, plus, you have solid axles!

OTR

Adventurer
Great looking truck. I think it's a great platform IMO. I think that being carburated makes the truck more reliable in water crossings and easier to repair if no dealer is around. If you have used the truck for several years, you should know it inside and out. If you think that it's reliable and has many more miles to be had, save the money for some equipment. It should be pretty cheap to adjust the suspension since it's a solid axle. Again, nice truck.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Edit: Ya know looking at ity some more... it's really not too tall right now is it? It looks like you took some time and built a really well thought out crawler eh. Great stuff.

That truck is GORGEOUS... I'd adress the motor with a 3RZ swap and then maybe work on getting it lower and build some sort of bed storage system for it. Like the fellow before me asked: How does it ride?? IF the ride is good, the new motor will really help turn those new tires. At the least I'd look into going with an RE motor. And as far as 'removing springs" as someone said, usualy a Crawler is set up alot LESS stiffly sprung than an Expo truck would be. I'd suggest maybe some long travel air-bags IF you intend on adding alot of weight. Really, you have a great platform that's already built pretty nicely it just needs to change directions and that should be easy for this truck. It's a factory SFA so you have the clearenced frame to go with a set of 4 OME Dakar Leaf packs and get it lower but still riding like a dream and then I'd suggest some skinny 35's (what are theose on there now???) or even some 33's depending on how you're geared (I'd be guessing that you have 5.29's??? seeing how it's built).

Can't wait to see some more pics of this truck, it's really awsome...

Cheers

Dave

Don-Key

Thanks guys for the compliments. I wish I could take all the credit for it, but I have built a few rock crawlers in the past and sold them (SAS '90 4runner, Samurai) Sold the 4 runner and bought this and have just upgraded a few things.

It sit's on 37" G/Y MTR's and has 4:88's in the diff's. The dual case's are stock in front case and 5.0 inchworm gears in the rear case. It crawls very nice and has been very reliable thus far. My only complaint is the lack of power especially in the mountain highways. 3rd gear is my best friend

I have looked into the RE change out, and 3RG swap, 4.3 efi swap $$$$$$ that I dont have alot of. (I'm married with 3 daughters:D )

The suspension is very flexy, my concern was with the springs being to soft the way it is and add'ing weight to the truck with ALOT of gear. The airbag idea sounds interesting. If anything I would like the truck to be a bit of dual sport and would not to limit what it can do now and what I would like it to do with long travel/time exsploring camping.

I have concidered building my own "can-back" style of shell and building in the bed of the truck for storage and able to sleep ontop of the storage unit with a air mattress or ???

Here are a couple shots of her in action to give you an idea of what I do with it now.........

Rubicon
IMG_0970.jpg

june30july1stcalcreepersrubirun048.jpg

Barrett Lake trail,
BarrettLakeTrailSept.15162007026.jpg

BarrettLakeTrailSept.15162007027.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior