another prediction that XTerra is finished

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Oddly enough, I'm getting around 15.5 or so with an MT around town, but I've got a 6 mile commute in and a 4 mile one back, mostly at 45mph with a few stops. I'm thinking on flat highway driving and sticking around the speed limit I'd be able to get up to near 17mpg.

One thing I was kicking around is would 4.10s help?

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
My dad works at Nissan USA and he did, in fact, hear that the Xterra will no longer be offered after 2014. The X is growing on me a lot. The builds here are incredible and prove that the X is an awesome platform and affordable.....especially if bought used.

I have to ask what does he do there... And please do not tell me a dealer...

I worked for Nissan till last year.. And yes 2014 is the last year of this Gen..
IT will live on to a Gen 3

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
My prices were straight from the websites today. I added as few options as I could to make things equal, but took that trim level. No automatics because automatics are lame. Row your own. American websites, too. Maybe there's some weird Canadian surcharge?

As for how the Xterra is better, it's an Xterra. Duh. Four-wheeled hellcat from the planet kickass. Ninja hauler.

Damn I wish I could rep you over here... ;)

skibum315

Explorer
One thing I was kicking around is would 4.10s help?
Well, probably not ... think of a curve that plots engine rpm vs. road speed; when you went to larger tires, your rpm for a given speed actually went down. So in theory, you should have seen a slight uptick in MPG ... now this is usually offset by the increased rotational inertia of the larger tires, so often in practice, folks don't see any change in MPG (or it goes down, if they're not compensating for the larger tire diameter).

If you change the axle gears to a shorter ratio (larger numerical value), your engine rpm for a given road speed will go up ... so you'll likely see a reduction in mileage. If you change by the same percentage that you added in with the larger tires (need to look at the revs/mile specification to determine what that percentage was), you should be back to stock MPG and stock-like performance ... IIRC the math I did when I was looking into whether I wanted 4.10s or 4.56s for myself (I decided on 4.10s ... waiting on a couple of more big purchases, before they'll get installed), the 4.10s actually take you back past that 'stock-like' point to a point where the gearing will be slightly deeper than stock. So the performance you could expect will be slightly 'snappy-er' initial acceleration, slightly improved crawl speeds (lower), slightly reduced top-speed, and slightly worse MPGs.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I have to ask what does he do there... And please do not tell me a dealer...

I worked for Nissan till last year.. And yes 2014 is the last year of this Gen..
IT will live on to a Gen 3

No, he doesn't work for a dealer. He's employed by Nissan corporate. He only told me because he knows that I like off-road vehicles and we happened to be talking about trucks, camping, etc. I really hope the X does make it into the 3rd gen. I don't see how they could axe it...I see them everywhere down here.

RonapRhys

Adventurer
Well, probably not ... think of a curve that plots engine rpm vs. road speed; when you went to larger tires, your rpm for a given speed actually went down. So in theory, you should have seen a slight uptick in MPG ... now this is usually offset by the increased rotational inertia of the larger tires, so often in practice, folks don't see any change in MPG (or it goes down, if they're not compensating for the larger tire diameter).

If you change the axle gears to a shorter ratio (larger numerical value), your engine rpm for a given road speed will go up ... so you'll likely see a reduction in mileage. If you change by the same percentage that you added in with the larger tires (need to look at the revs/mile specification to determine what that percentage was), you should be back to stock MPG and stock-like performance ... IIRC the math I did when I was looking into whether I wanted 4.10s or 4.56s for myself (I decided on 4.10s ... waiting on a couple of more big purchases, before they'll get installed), the 4.10s actually take you back past that 'stock-like' point to a point where the gearing will be slightly deeper than stock. So the performance you could expect will be slightly 'snappy-er' initial acceleration, slightly improved crawl speeds (lower), slightly reduced top-speed, and slightly worse MPGs.

While you're correct on the engine revs, I think one other consideration is where it'd drop me in the power band. Right now I actually sit too low for highway speeds - the torque curve means that any hill requires a downshift, unless I'm running around 75mph. So, yes, I'd see my revs increase, but I might hit right where that engineers designed my gearing to sit on the highway, thus improving efficiency.

Plus, lower crawl speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78