Another (related) Tire Question

musicmaan

Observer
So here's my issue... I have a 98 Tacoma 4cyl. I want to go with the 265 70 16 Toyo Open Country A/T, which I'm running on our 2000 4Runner. Problem is, it's a P rated tire, and if I want to go up to an LT rating, I have to jump up a size to the 265 75. I'm leary to jump up to a 32" because of the power loss, but I'm also leary to run a P rating on my Tacoma. It's mostly a daily driver , not hauling much weight, how ever, it does have a canopy with a custom rack (maybe 250lbs all together) and a little bit of week end expedition off road travel with more gear.

I welcome any and all opinions on this please, Thanx guys and gals.

MM

EXP-T100

Adventurer
odds are you wont even notice. I have a brother in-law that had the same truck and he ran 265/75/16 with no issue or power loss. you could still dump the clutch and smoke the tires. as far as a P on a taco if its just a commuter and you only load with a little weight you should be fine remember your runner is heavier than your taco.

Josh

keezer37

Explorer
My last two sets of tires have been P rated. I've hauled/towed plenty with them; rocks, logs and farm equipment. If I had a heavier vehicle and hauled regularly and at highway speeds I'd go LT.
If the manufacturer put P rated tires on it and rated the vehicle xxx load capacity and you don't exceed it, then your fine.
Consider your off-roading though, the type of terrain you're likely to encounter.

It's been my observation that the number one killer of gas mileage by far is tire diameter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle