Another T-belt question from a new member (sorry)

sd2hi

Hi Gang, I feel like I'm jumping in the deep end here. I have a 1998 Montero with 129K and am buying parts to have a mechanic install. I've read all of the build threads and T-belt related threads and am bewildered. Here is the order from Rock Auto I've compiled. I welcome all comments and hopefully reassurance that I'm not doing it all wrong. aloha Andrew

GATES TCK287 {#2522870} PowerGrip Premium OE Timing Belt Component Kit, Belt, Tensioner, Idler $53
AISIN WPM035 {water pump} Engine w Housing; Includes Housing, Gasket, O-Ring $82
NGK (spark plugs) 5464 {#7964, BKR5EIX11} Iridium IX $35
NGK 7005 {#8806, ME94} NGK Wire Set $39
AISIN (Hydraulic Tensioner) BTM500 {#1145A062, 1145A070, MD341830 $50
FEL-PROPermaDry valve cover gasket with 6 spark plug tube grommets VS50461R {#MD303148, VS50270} PermaDry®; Set $30
FEL-PRO Plenum gasket MS95708 {#MD199282 $5
MAHLE (ERG gasket) ORIGINAL/VICTOR REINZ G32103 {#MD149764} Graphite $4
SKF rear camshaft seal, 13943 {Click Info Button for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} Grease Seal $5
FEL-PRO TCS45704 Camshaft Front Seal $5
FEL-PRO TCS45911 Crankshaft Front Seal Set Info
Front; Type: Crankshaft Front Seal Set $8 TOTAL $313

Last edited:

jlocster

Explorer
In your case, think of what you're doing as 2 separate jobs.
1--Front of the engine includes: timing belt/tensioner, water pump, front cam seals(2), crank seal, crank bolt/washer
2--Top of the engine includes: valve cover gaskets, spark plugs/wires, spark plug tube grommets(6), rear cam o-rings(2)

Now, since the top of the engine will be apart/accessible, I'd also strongly recommend you replace both rubber heater hoses and the rubber coolant crossover hose at the rear of the engine.

In that same vein, while the front of the engine is apart, I'd strongly recommend you replace your upper/lower radiator hoses, accessory drive belts, and thermostat. Also you may want to preventatively replace your crank and camshaft sensors.

From your list you seem to be missing the following for the timing belt job:

MITSUBISHI MD030763 O-ring, Under Plenum Coolant Passage Tube to Rear Water Pump Housing
MITSUBISHI MD308723 Gasket, Water Pump Housing to Thermostat Housing

MITSUBISHI 1100A141 Crankshaft Bolt, 3rd Version (earlier versions are obsolete, prone to failure and should be avoided)
MITSUBISHI MR994412 Crankshaft Bolt Washer

Last edited:

sd2hi

Thanks jlocster, (I've enjoyed reading your build thread by the way) I'll order the updated Crank bolt/washer and will return it if not needed. I'll also order the rest. If I lived in Cali I would just take my time. However when I fly in I want to get the job done then off to Moab. Any other forum members want to go? I'll be going again in May and Baja on October. All are welcome to come. Aloha Andrew

snare

Adventurer
The Aisin WPM035 Water Pump includes an o ring, would that mean the "MITSUBISHI MD030763 O-ring, Under Plenum Coolant Passage Tube to Rear Water Pump Housing" would not be needed to be ordered separately?

jlocster

Explorer
Looks like the o-ring that comes with your kit is md030763, so you shouldn't have to order another one. this small o-ring fits around the metal tube that fits into the rear of the water pump housing.

Last edited:

sd2hi

Thanks, 7 day San Diego to Utah. Truck ran great. Camped out the whole time. Off roaded everywhere. Spent 3 days in the snow. Awesome truck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78