Another Unimog Camper built in Queensland

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
We had a customer come in last week with his new U5000. As they are so rarely seen here other than the Australian Defence Force trucks and in Iain's awesome build thread , I thought I should post some pics. Hope that's OK. The owner is from up on the the range above the Sunshine Coast and may eventually have one of our camper bodies normally fitted to smaller Japanese trucks on the back of the mog...... well that's the loose plan if we can tackle it.

I've never seen this type of Mog before....the transmission is a full auto, or manual shift auto or full manual...so it's got this folding clutch pedal. Maybe this is common but we were pretty impressed. He also had the CTIS and pressurized diff options added. I noticed that everything had been rust-proofed although it wasn't requested by the owner.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

photo 6.jpg

photo 7.jpg

Last edited:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Thanks for putting the photos up John, I had a long chat with the owner before the truck was delivered. We are going to visit him one weekend soon :)

whatcharterboat

Hey Humph.....yeah, of course but not as much as I want to finish my own projects and drive them. Haha. Well I shouldn't laugh about it. Here I am online when I should be ............................

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Yeah OK Iain. He and his wife are really nice people. You guys should get on well. I don't think the camper is going to happen for a little while but he is going to fit a tray (or maybe we are doing that, not sure) so that he can get some use out of it now.

BTW Iain, I really feel bad for not having dropped in to see your camper.....hopefully I can make some time in the next month or so.

Kind regards John

Last edited:

rblackwell

Adventurer
Our (manual) U500 has the same transmission shifter as shown in your images - push forward for up shifts - pull back for down shifts and the shift does not happen until you push/release the clutch.

I have also been for a ride in an "auto" U500 - they have the folding clutch pedal. Good thing too as apparently sometimes the transmission controller (at least in the one I rode in) insists you operate it manually. It seems the auto is not a torque-converter style auto but an electronically controller clutch/shifter.

We had a customer come in last week with his new U5000. As they are so rarely seen here other than the Australian Defence Force trucks and in Iain's awesome build thread , I thought I should post some pics. Hope that's OK. The owner is from up on the the range above the Sunshine Coast and may eventually have one of our camper bodies normally fitted to smaller Japanese trucks on the back of the mog...... well that's the loose plan if we can tackle it.

I've never seen this type of Mog before....the transmission is a full auto, or manual shift auto or full manual...so it's got this folding clutch pedal. Maybe this is common but we were pretty impressed. He also had the CTIS and pressurized diff options added. I noticed that everything had been rust-proofed although it wasn't requested by the owner.

View attachment 107274

View attachment 107275

View attachment 107276

View attachment 107277

View attachment 107278

View attachment 107279

Overland Hadley

on a journey
.....yeah, of course but not as much as I want to finish my own projects and drive them. Haha. Well I shouldn't laugh about it. Here I am online when I should be ............................

Personal projects eh? Care to share, maybe in a new thread. Nothing like an audience to keep you working.

John,

You rode in mine (actually your employer did!) and it has the same shifter system.
The only shifting problems I've run into are a broken wire going to a microswitch for the folding clutch pedal, and not working correctly after sitting for 3 months in Perth - the voltage drops on the two motorcycle sized batteries hooked in series that run the 24V autoshifting system. Idling a few minutes fixes that.

Charlie

whatcharterboat

Hi Charlie,

Sorry mate, I didn't get a ride in yours. Drool, drool. I did recognize the shifter from yours but didn't realize the folding clutch pedal setup was the same. I thought yours was like an Intelli-shift. My mistake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan