Another What Battery and Charger? Thread

CampStewart

Observer
I did a bunch of searching and couldn't find an answer. I would much prefer to use golf cart batteries but my batteries will be in an enclosed space with minimal ventilation in a trailer. They will be sharing space with bins of equipment and clothes in an aluminum box. I would also like to be able to use one battery in the passanger compartment of the car to power the fridge during the day at work from time to time. My primary use will mostly be to power a frige or 2 and diesel or propane powered air heater and computer. I primarily like to camp in deep woods so at least in the beginning no plans for solar. I carry either a eu1000 or eu2000 honda generator. I will travel every couple of days. I like the idea of using an inverter to boost my cars 12v to 120 and using a 120v charger from either the car or the generator. The batteries will sit for months on end without being used and I will have them on a maintainer. I like the idea of having 2 12 volt batteries. What batteries and charger would you recommend?

CampStewart

Observer
Wow those batteries are pricey but I am going to have to bite the bullet and start out with just one battery. What are the pros and cons on the various brands of AGM deep cycle? If I am spending that much on a battery I don't want to cheap it out if spending a few more bucks will give me a better battery

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Your usage is probably moderately abusive for lead acid, so spending lots of money on a quality AGM doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If possible I would try to fit a flooded battery(s). Assuming you don't have clothing resting right on the box, and don't do equalize cycles with all the vents closed, a flooded battery is fine (assuming its in a spill containing box).

Another option might be a drop-in lithium battery. Some setup required, but it will charge quite quickly from alternator or generator, and doesn't care about partial state of charge the way lead does. Something like battle bornes 100AH battery would work. They are about 1000$, but will last easily 4x as long as an AGM in under charged (partial state of charge abuse).

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
What are the pros and cons on the various brands of AGM deep cycle?
Do your diligent research...
I used the X2 power cause their alleged claim that they can handle more vibrations, are sealed (no venting), are high AH/RC, high CCA and cause I had to purchase one in the middle of a trip and held up for 6+ years.......
These havent let me down.............................................................................................................................yet....!!!

Your batteries (regardless of brand / type ) are only as good as the charging /maintenance system you set in place....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears