Antarctica Rigs

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Happy to have found this thread, amazing. Wish I could find a way to get down to Antarctica, I really need to look into this.

Xenobian

Happy to have found this thread, amazing. Wish I could find a way to get down to Antarctica, I really need to look into this.
Glad you enjoyed it, it's a truly special place. A variety of different options whether as a paying passenger or wanting to work there for a season etc. PM me if you need any pointers.

COAKXterra

Nice thread!

I spent a few years working as a Fuelie down for the USAP, based mainly in McMurdo but have been to Pole and Palmer and WAIS divide and many field camps.

Met my wife there. Antarctica will always be a special place to us.

Here’s some of my stories:

Winter in McMurdo

WAIS Divide Field Camp

South Pole

more McMurdo winter

Palmer station

Aboard the Research vessel Gould, in the Neumeyer Channel
30772ED2-A99B-44D0-A60F-AEFEAD4A92CD.jpeg

Palmer station
111EE872-FB95-439B-AA7E-A5C24A6A8F35.jpeg

Gravity works at the Pole
IMG_0308.jpeg

Delta scharen midwinter at phoenix ice runway (used by C17, A380, 757, etc)
IMG_5736.jpeg

Delta Scharen, one of our refueling vehicles for over-snow/ice
IMG_3374.jpeg

Williams field fuel pits, taking care of the nyang lc130s
IMG_2716.jpeg

Traversing the McMurdo sound in a haaglund… waiting for the locals to cross
IMG_3397.jpeg

Last edited:

COAKXterra

A few more vehicle ones

Loading a C17 at Phoenix ice runway
IMG_6891.jpeg

Delta scharen at our loading pad. Could take up to 1800gal of diesel/jet and disperse to facilities and equipment around the McMurdo area
IMG_6890.jpeg

A flat bed delta being used to mule mogas out to a day tank near Williams field skiway
IMG_6889.jpeg

Kiwi dream trucks out at Williams field skiway
IMG_6888.jpeg
IMG_6887.jpeg

There are two airfields at McMurdo. One is the phoenix ice runway which is a groomed ice surface for the landing of wheeled aircraft. The USAF C17, kiwi 757, Aussie airbus, etc. c130s and baslers land there with skis retracted to allow wheel landings. The other is more like the rest of the airfields throughout the US program, including South Pole, and is a packed snow surface that allows for ski landings. C130s and baslers with skis down, and the twin otters use these surfaces. The airfields in McMurdo are about 10mi apart.

The c17 cannot land (or rather, could land once and remain forever) at South Pole but does a practice airdrop each year in case of a resupply need.

And all the respect in the world for those Ken borek crews. Most recent midwinter pole rescue was I believe 2016 or 2017 with a twin otter. Insane.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
A few more vehicle ones

Loading a C17 at Phoenix ice runway
View attachment 800142

Delta scharen at our loading pad. Could take up to 1800gal of diesel/jet and disperse to facilities and equipment around the McMurdo area
View attachment 800143

A flat bed delta being used to mule mogas out to a day tank near Williams field skiway
View attachment 800144

Kiwi dream trucks out at Williams field skiway
View attachment 800145
View attachment 800146

There are two airfields at McMurdo. One is the phoenix ice runway which is a groomed ice surface for the landing of wheeled aircraft. The USAF C17, kiwi 757, Aussie airbus, etc. c130s and baslers land there with skis retracted to allow wheel landings. The other is more like the rest of the airfields throughout the US program, including South Pole, and is a packed snow surface that allows for ski landings. C130s and baslers with skis down, and the twin otters use these surfaces. The airfields in McMurdo are about 10mi apart.

The c17 cannot land (or rather, could land once and remain forever) at South Pole but does a practice airdrop each year in case of a resupply need.

And all the respect in the world for those Ken borek crews. Most recent midwinter pole rescue was I believe 2016 or 2017 with a twin otter. Insane.
is it all diesel or some gasoline vehicles too?

COAKXterra

is it all diesel or some gasoline vehicles too?
Kiwi program runs all diesel to the best of my knowledge.

US program runs mainly a gas light truck/passenger van fleet, then all equipment and heavies are diesel running mostly on jp5 or an8 (Antarctic blend jet fuel). Buildings use a blend of the two for boilers and generators. Aircraft use only pure AN8. With the remoteness and logistics of storage and transport, it’s way easier to just have a single fuel type.

ITTOG

Dramatic ice contrast at Franklin Island

View attachment 703774

Franklin Island

View attachment 703775
Thanks so much for posting all the photo's and the story. They say some of the glaciers are over a mile thick. Any idea how thick they are at the ocean, specifically how tall above the water line?

I watched a video of Metallica playing on Antarctica. The first commercial musicians to ever play there so the only ones to play on all seven continents. This got me interested in Antarctica...

I have been mesmerized by Antarctica since seeing the film...
Any more photographs?

Are you aware of Antarctica: A Year On Ice?

Thanks for posting that. brought back some memories. I talked to my wife about working a year down there once we retired. It was an emphatic no. So I said what if I take out a large insurance policy on my life and do it alone. I think she said something about divorce. ;)

COAKXterra

Thanks so much for posting all the photo's and the story. They say some of the glaciers are over a mile thick. Any idea how thick they are at the ocean, specifically how tall above the water line?

I watched a video of Metallica playing on Antarctica. The first commercial musicians to ever play there so the only ones to play on all seven continents. This got me interested in Antarctica...

I have been mesmerized by Antarctica since seeing the film...

Thanks for posting that. brought back some memories. I talked to my wife about working a year down there once we retired. It was an emphatic no. So I said what if I take out a large insurance policy on my life and do it alone. I think she said something about divorce. ;)

Haha. I get threatened with divorce whenever I bring up going back. Something something “our daughter” 😂

WAIS divide is about 6000’ of ice under the surface. Pole is about 9000’ of ice under surface. Both reach ground above mean seal level.

At the water line depends on a lot… thickness, subsurface geology, etc. but… I’m certainly not a glaciologist 😂

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior