Anti-theft for overland trailers?

tx-jeremy

I’ve got my trailer ready to roll on an upcoming trip but I’m getting concerned that anyone that rolls up on it could rollaway with it.

It’s got a Lunette ring so a simple coupler lock wouldn’t work.

What do you folks do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I take the chains and the coupler off so it’s just a square tube. I also weave two master lock cable locks through the tires and the frame. My secret weapon is I don’t wash it. Looks filthy less appealing I get messed with and approached less. Also helps to have that I haven’t showered in a week don’t screw with me vibe lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tx-jeremy

I take the chains and the coupler off so it’s just a square tube. I also weave two master lock cable locks through the tires and the frame. My secret weapon is I don’t wash it. Looks filthy less appealing I get messed with and approached less. Also helps to have that I haven’t showered in a week don’t screw with me vibe lol

I considered this but that castle nut would be a hassle to remove on the lunette ring post if I’m camping in a diff spot each night.

WingShot

Thanks. The “XL” is somehow what I missed. I saw the normal claw but they wouldn’t fit my tires.

The XL fits my 265/75R/16 no problem.

My chains aren't coming off, and removing the coupler every time is not very convenient for me.

billiebob

A wheel boot is the best. Ugly is better. Urban Camo is another option.

I used to book rock bands in a bar. They have hundreds of thousands of $$$ of equipment. One of the bands used an old Mr Christies Cookie dry van, no one ever messed with it. Keep the expensive bits hidden.

But a wheel boot is definitely the easiest, quickest solution. I've seen construction trailers stolen where the thiefs wrapped the chains around the bumper, no hitch needed.

This one is at WalMart.
2993146b-9b1c-40d2-a3fd-e734e3b63f1a_1.f47d6fd981813e211260a724fa15a716.jpeg

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
I considered this but that castle nut would be a hassle to remove on the lunette ring post if I’m camping in a diff spot each night.

I have a 2” receiver on the trailer and can slip in a lunette eye or a ball coupler at whim. If I take whatever is in there out and the chains off it’s just a post sticking out.

It’s not perfect but it’s been ok so far

Admittedly I haven’t left it in a high crime area to proof my ideas either but that just seems foolish lol

rnArmy

Adventurer
I've run a heavy chain through the spokes on the wheel on the driver's side, around the leaf spring, and then back to the rim and connected the ends with a heavy padlock. I guess they could steal it but the one wheel wouldn't be turning.

They make locks that'll fit the locking pin in the pintle hitch. It isn't the largest diameter, but it would slow down an opportunist thief. My lunette ring in my trailer's 2" receiver hitch is in with a 5/8" grade-8 bolt. The nut is really cranked down tight. Again; might slow down an opportunist thief.

My trailer stays parked inside my shop when not being pulled. When on an adventure, I do my best to keep an eye on it when parked (like at a fast food place).

billiebob

The big thing is....

Does it look valuable?
All those cool exposed bits are what attract thieves.
Matt Trax, RotoPaks, HighLifts.... shiny high lifts.... Kevlar Kayaks, $4K Mountain Bikes.....
ALL that stuff should be inside out of sight.

Pinstripes and road rash deter thiefs, polished paint and glitter attract them.
Think you are in a war zone. Would you pick safety orange or camo netting.

Think food and bears....
Leave the steaks on the table as you make the dash for more beer or close the cooler.

Send yer daughter to the rock concert in a halter top or ask her to wear a t-shirt.
I like eye candy but half the overlanders are asking to be stolen.

rnArmy

Adventurer
The big thing is....

Does it look valuable?
All those cool exposed bits are what attract thieves.
Matt Trax, RotoPaks, HighLifts.... shiny high lifts.... Kevlar Kayaks, $4K Mountain Bikes.....
ALL that stuff should be inside out of sight.

Pinstripes and road rash deter thiefs, polished paint and glitter attract them.
Think you are in a war zone. Would you pick safety orange or camo netting.

Think food and bears....
Leave the steaks on the table as you make the dash for more beer or close the cooler.

Send yer daughter to the rock concert in a halter top or ask her to wear a t-shirt.
I like eye candy but half the overlanders are asking to be stolen.
I am so guilty of that with my trailer.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
I've successfully used a Reese Coupler Lock and Ball latch lock, along with a heavy cable bike lock running through one of the rims and frame. Ultimately if a thief wants it, they'll get it. There's convenience and easy access and there's security. You can't always have both.
billiebob had a great point about things looking valuable. If its on display, it will need to be secured well. Out of sight and out of mind is better.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I considered this but that castle nut would be a hassle to remove on the lunette ring post if I’m camping in a diff spot each night
So are you concerned with theft parked at home, in an RV park sort of place or in the backcountry?

Seems to me the risk of someone driving away with it camped on an USFS road is one thing. Maybe a chain through a wheel and around a leaf spring would suffice.

At home I'd park it on jack stands and take the wheels off.

tx-jeremy

So are you concerned with theft parked at home, in an RV park sort of place or in the backcountry?

Seems to me the risk of someone driving away with it camped on an USFS road is one thing. Maybe a chain through a wheel and around a leaf spring would suffice.

At home I'd park it on jack stands and take the wheels off.

I’m concerned with back country. Don’t want a juicy target while out exploring for the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle