Antifreeze in my floorboard

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
My 1994 truck sits in a storage space awaiting repairs. I visit every few weeks to run the motor and drive it a little. All has been good since last summer and then last week when I checked on it, I found the floorboard on the passenger side full of antifreeze. Thank god for weathertech floormats! The floormat kept everything contained and off my carpet.

Can someone please confirm this means my heater core died, right? Or, possibly one of the connections failed in the cold, winter weather? Haven't had a chance to dig into this further yet. Thanks!

Last edited:

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Arrghgh...this sucks. Did not need another thing to repair on this as I am planning to sell later this year.

The Google tells me prices range from $31-366.00

What sounds like a reasonable price for one? Plan to attempt the repair myself.

fbksurferjoe

Adventurer
Maybe I missed it but what year/ make truck. Sounds like a heater core I have replaced them before....... it is not fun. Sorry to hear the bad luck

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I assume you're talking about the '94? It's probably the heater core. The connections to the rubber hoses under the hood are right at the firewall, though, so if they leak it could run back into the cab. Problem is it's kind of a PITA to get at it to check.

When mine died I bought a factory part from the dealer, so it wasn't cheap. I used part number 87107-89118, Sub-Assembly, Heater Radiator, Heavy Duty. It listed at $274.39 way back even in 2003, so I'm sure now it's a lot more.

If it was me I'd use the Performance Radiator part. I used their radiator in mine and it was plenty acceptable quality, all brass, made in Thailand as I recall. Since Toyota has a large factory there I always assumed it probably came from the same supplier. Couldn't say that for sure but I doubt Toyota would still want to dedicate production for a 30 year old radiator anyway.

Looks like theirs is about $117:
https://shop.performanceradiator.co...th=1_33136_33839_33893_33895&product_id=11449

D

Deleted member 96197

Anti freeze on the floorboard means, heater core.
But this isn't your DD, and you plan to sell it, you could always just cut out the heater core by looping the coolant line right from output to input without going through the heater core... You wont have a heater, but it works.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Maybe I missed it but what year/ make truck. Sounds like a heater core I have replaced them before....... it is not fun. Sorry to hear the bad luck

Sorry, it's my 94 pickup I was referring to. It doesn't look fun...crawling around in the floorboard is gonna be a back breaker.

I assume you're talking about the '94? It's probably the heater core. The connections to the rubber hoses under the hood are right at the firewall, though, so if they leak it could run back into the cab. Problem is it's kind of a PITA to get at it to check.

When mine died I bought a factory part from the dealer, so it wasn't cheap. I used part number 87107-89118, Sub-Assembly, Heater Radiator, Heavy Duty. It listed at $274.39 way back even in 2003, so I'm sure now it's a lot more.

If it was me I'd use the Performance Radiator part. I used their radiator in mine and it was plenty acceptable quality, all brass, made in Thailand as I recall. Since Toyota has a large factory there I always assumed it probably came from the same supplier. Couldn't say that for sure but I doubt Toyota would still want to dedicate production for a 30 year old radiator anyway.

Looks like theirs is about $117:
https://shop.performanceradiator.co...th=1_33136_33839_33893_33895&product_id=11449

Yeah, I can't really see exactly where the leak is coming from but I'll probably just need to replace the core and check all the connections. Thanks for link!

Anti freeze on the floorboard means, heater core.
But this isn't your DD, and you plan to sell it, you could always just cut out the heater core by looping the coolant line right from output to input without going through the heater core... You wont have a heater, but it works.

Nah, I can't do that. I want to sell it intact with all the things working correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman