Antiseize

805gregg

Adventurer
Just a thought, I have a galvanized boat trailer, that lives in salt water, I've had a lot of problems getting u bolts, or other bolts getting stuck. Now I apply anti sieze to every bolt and use SS nuts. I'm building a kayak/ motorcycle trailer, and I now anti sieze to all the SS lock nuts. Just a thought. We will see if it works.

seanz0rz

Adventurer
there is a great debate about anti seize and torque specs. personally i always apply a small amount of anit seize on bolts that have lockwashers or lock nuts, and torque to the spec. i do this especially on lug nuts. its a real pain breaking off a lug nut because its rusted on. ive never had a nut back off on me because i used anti seize, and never broken a stud that i used it on (but have broken plenty of studs that had no anti seize and were properly torqued) the torque tolerances of most bolts are pretty broad, and shouldnt be impacted.

i like the stuff! i also like loctite, and will generally put that on everything on my truck now days. i see alot more vibration than the vehicle was probably designed for, so i figure it cant be a bad thing!

for most bolts that did not get anti seize, a heavy heavy dose of liquid wrench or my favorite PB Blaster will do the trick. might take several days, but they always come out.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
SS nuts are essentially Grade Zero strength, so only use them where appropriate.

Lock-tite will also keep the moisture out of the threads and prevent rust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman