Any advice? Lexus GX470 or Nissan Xterra or Pathfinder

p nut

butter
Thanks for all the responses. Taking a few for a test drive today, and ultimately it will come down to best milage, newest year, and best price. That most likely means a Nissan Xterra or Pathfinder.

Sounds like you know what you're looking for. Nissan definitely will have better pricing given your criteria. Good luck on the search. I know several Nissan owners that are super happy with their trucks. I'd probably lean towards a Pathfiner, because of the extra interior space without the MPG penalty over the Xterra.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Up here in MI, I am not seeing GXs for less than 4Rs. As to the XTerra- keep in mind that the back seat is way up there for hoisting a car seat into, and the door handles are unreachable for kids.
Maintenance history will almost always be better on the Lexus than either Nissan. I don't like the interior of the Nissans much- fabrics, dash, but that's highly subjective. The V8 in the Pathfinder would be interesting though.

Dan Speicher

Well, its been a long time since I posted, but I figured that I should update this since you all put your personal energy into helping me decide. I love Toyota, and they are great vehicles. Mechanically I have never had a problem with one. But after searching for them for a while, and test driving a few, and people wanting quite a bit more for them, with high milage and in rougher shape, I ended up picking up a '07 Xterra with 134K on the odometer. It had a pretty solid service history, and aside from Nissan paint being to thin, and some scratches, it was in nice shape.. There is a lot to like about this vehicle. The only downsides are the smaller cargo area, and the back seat is a bit tighter, but as long as I dont have to sit back there, who cares.

Right now I am just getting it caught up on some basics. Adding a transmission cooler, even though the tranny was replaced by Nissan in 2009 I believe (dont have car fax in front of me), replacing the thermostat, fixing TPMS sensors to get the lights off, and I have an airbag light that it needs to go to nissan for. Initially it will just get some 265's and eventually a small lift, and some additional lights. As of next month, it will also have permanently installed car seat base, and thats the most terrifying mod of all.

Here it is the day I picked it up. Thanks again for your help.

IMG_8742.JPG

MrWesson

Adventurer
A GX470 vs a Xterra?

These machines are not in the same class and the GX470 is the obviously better all rounder.

I compared the GX470 to the LR3 and ultimately chose the LR3.. If the GX470 had more character i'd have chosen it. Its just too stagnant to drive for my tastes but so is the Xterra..

As someone who uses their vehicle off road I chose the LR3 because its just simply better in that category BUT if I just needed something to get me camping/dirt roads/DD then the GX470 can't be beat IMO.

A GX470 with A-trac will get you surprisingly far down the trail.

Yes the Xterra might have a rear locker but IMO a good Traction control/brake actuated setup can keep up if not surpass a locked rig(rear only). I'd stack my open diff LR3 traction control up against a rear locked Xterra(having seen one in action). The GX will behave like a front and rear LSD system vs a rear only...

GX is luxury vs Xterra being utilitarian to the point of "plasticey".

The Xterra would make a wonderful and traditional platform for an expo build but as a DD the GX is simply better.

If you want to keep it stock, under 33's and mostly onroad then the GX is the painfully obvious choice.

If you want to build an off road rig then i'd probably choose the X-terra. Being locked in the rear, having a better aftermarket, and not being full time 4wd. 33's and a front locker would make one unstopable.

Just buy my Pathfinder :)

8dc8815dc6dc3e6e5204a00bd438d163.jpg

Mattm94

Observer
A GX470 vs a Xterra?

These machines are not in the same class and the GX470 is the obviously better all rounder.

I compared the GX470 to the LR3 and ultimately chose the LR3.. If the GX470 had more character i'd have chosen it. Its just too stagnant to drive for my tastes but so is the Xterra..

As someone who uses their vehicle off road I chose the LR3 because its just simply better in that category BUT if I just needed something to get me camping/dirt roads/DD then the GX470 can't be beat IMO.

A GX470 with A-trac will get you surprisingly far down the trail.

Yes the Xterra might have a rear locker but IMO a good Traction control/brake actuated setup can keep up if not surpass a locked rig(rear only). I'd stack my open diff LR3 traction control up against a rear locked Xterra(having seen one in action). The GX will behave like a front and rear LSD system vs a rear only...

GX is luxury vs Xterra being utilitarian to the point of "plasticey".

The Xterra would make a wonderful and traditional platform for an expo build but as a DD the GX is simply better.

If you want to keep it stock, under 33's and mostly onroad then the GX is the painfully obvious choice.

If you want to build an off road rig then i'd probably choose the X-terra. Being locked in the rear, having a better aftermarket, and not being full time 4wd. 33's and a front locker would make one unstopable.

Pretty spot on. My sister had an Xtera and my wife has a GX. Comparing the two is like comparing a high quality pair of backpacking boots to some hikers from the shoe section at Wal Mart. I have to admit this is the first time I've heard the two even mentioned in the same conversation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior