Any AT Overland Habitat owners here? Sleep platform ideas?

I'm looking for ideas from anyone that has added a extra sleeping platform in the front end of the habitat. I was thinking of doing just one side I could flip up as needed. Either mount my waterport weekender under this platform or sell it and buy a smaller one and mount on the side of the bed rail. Did you build your own sleep platform or buy from AT overland? What are your thoughts and build ideas for this?

Last edited:

grampswrx

Observer
I bought a camper used and it came with both platforms. They are 3/4" plywood with carpet and trim on them. Hinged in the middle. Very simple, but nice enough. I plan to use them when I bring my young kids on trips. Seems like it would be super easy to duplicate them. Would be nice if they were lighter. As is, they weigh about 30 pounds each and tend to sit very tight in their shelves making them tricky to remove at times.

Thanks for the info. It does sound easy enough to recreate. I've been thinking about just building one side so 3 could sleep up top and one below. Still kicking around ideas.

grampswrx

Observer
It would be a bit nerve wracking to sleep with just one side. You’d want some kind of barrier or something to keep you from rolling off the bed and down below. Even a net would be better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be a bit nerve wracking to sleep with just one side. You’d want some kind of barrier or something to keep you from rolling off the bed and down below. Even a net would be better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought about that. I was going to have a 1x6 or similar as a guard like on a bunk. Still a good point you bring up about the net.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
There are two different ways to get a sleep platform...longitudinally and transverse. Goose Gear makes the longitudinal versions, while AT makes the transverse ones. The former being a hinged two piece thing(think horizontal bi fold closet doors) and the latter being a three piece deal.

There are two different ways to get a sleep platform...longitudinally and transverse. Goose Gear makes the longitudinal versions, while AT makes the transverse ones. The former being a hinged two piece thing(think horizontal bi fold closet doors) and the latter being a three piece deal.
Good to know. I didn't know goose gear made them also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998