Any experience with Quicksilver slide-in truck camper?

dillo

I've seen the Quicksilver slide-in truck camper mentioned in a few threads now and it's gotten me interested to learn more about it. Does anyone here have experience camping with one of these?

jagular7 has previously shared these pics of his, which he's mounted on a trailer (as opposed to putting it on a truck bed):
ll1g.jpg

100_4099.jpg

I would love to actually see one of these things in person, but it seems few distributors are carrying them so far.

dillo

For anyone with direct experience (I'm hoping you can comment here especially, jagular7) with these truck campers, I've got a few questions that have been bugging me:

1. What are these outlets here?
rear.jpg

They look like they might be power and water access points, but I've found no mention of either online -- is this leftover from them using the same shell for the slide-in as they do for other models? Or is this something else? (Again, credit to jagular7 for the above photo.)

2. How secure can you make it, assuming you leave it in a parking lot to go into a store or whatever?
In the pic above, there looks to possibly be a lock on the handle of the back door -- if so, is it really capable of securing the top when closed?

3. How does it do in hot weather for airflow? How would it fare in strong wind, like at the beach?
Last trip to Padre Is. Nat'l Park, we had a surprise storm hit us at nightfall on a first time out with our new Sportz truck tent. It survived the strong winds that followed, but our other tent did not. Running around at night trying to cope with failing equipment is definitely not fun at the time, even if it makes for some colorful stories afterwards.

4. Any other comments/issues/info that you wish you had known before getting one of these?

jagular7

Adventurer
dillo said:
For anyone with direct experience (I'm hoping you can comment here especially, jagular7) with these truck campers, I've got a few questions that have been bugging me:

1. What are these outlets here?
rear.jpg

They look like they might be power and water access points, but I've found no mention of either online -- is this leftover from them using the same shell for the slide-in as they do for other models? Or is this something else? (Again, credit to jagular7 for the above photo.)
They are electrical connector outlets. The white is a standard rv cover similar to what you would find on other campers to connect to the 120v/30A outlet at the campground. However, Quicksilver uses the standard 120v/15A to connect to 2 outlets on the left side in the lower kick panels. The silver cover is another outlet, but its a 7-pin plug connector to connect to the truck's 7-pin plug (if it has one) for 12v. There are 2 post-style 12v outlets on the rear most panel on either side of the door. Quicksilver provides 2 12v lamps that clamp on the posts.

2. How secure can you make it, assuming you leave it in a parking lot to go into a store or whatever?
In the pic above, there looks to possibly be a lock on the handle of the back door -- if so, is it really capable of securing the top when closed?
Secure? Term to be used with a canvas top camper? The rear door does have a lock. It can lock. With pulling the cover (about 20 or so snaps), flipping the bedding open, then pulling the canvas top to stand up, it is very accessible. I've had it for several months and camped 3 times. Never had a problem. Last time, I camped for 9 days in it. 1 night in national forest (CO), 8 in a commercial campground (Moab Utah). Not a problem of intruders, or atleast if they did go in, they didn't like my clothes, clean or dirty. :)

3. How does it do in hot weather for airflow? How would it fare in strong wind, like at the beach?
Last trip to Padre Is. Nat'l Park, we had a surprise storm hit us at nightfall on a first time out with our new Sportz truck tent. It survived the strong winds that followed, but our other tent did not. Running around at night trying to cope with failing equipment is definitely not fun at the time, even if it makes for some colorful stories afterwards.
I would say the camper would be a lot better than a tent. I really didn't have any bad weather or high winds, just couple of showers. Everything was completely dry. The canvas is relatively heavy so I would think it would handle bad weather rather well. The window zippers are large so opening and closing is easy to do and can be done in the dark. Windows, there are lots of them and they do provide great ventilation with a little air flow. With the screens, I had expected tears or something with opening and closing, but nothing to that effect. They have surprised my expectations.

4. Any other comments/issues/info that you wish you had known before getting one of these?
Being a slide in, I know they are not built or designed for a trailer frame. However, accessibility to inside is not easy. You can open the door but the canvas top does get in the way. I've figured out that if I take the table and back cushions and place them across the bench cushions, I get a 'bridge' that holds the canvas out of the way somewhat. Storage is minimal and since there is no 'kitchen', I have to carry a kitchen box. I had planned to add a swing away kitchen on the backend of the trailer along with a food box. Since this would be in front of the rear door, it would provide another block to accessibility. Same when setup if you left camper unattended.
Only thing I really don't support is the button snaps that hold not only the cover to the box but also the canvas to the beds. Buttons do have tolerance problems and will separate themselves. Fixing them is rather easy with a kit and I can understand why a mfr would want to use them (cheap cost), but in cold weather (camped 2 nights in CO @~40*), pulling snaps can be hard on the fingertips. To add in cold weather, the floor is rather cold. Remember its all aluminum. Bedding is fine (other than short in length) and you would think it would be a little cold since its quite open underneath, but with proper sleeping bag, I was fine. Since the floor is aluminum, its rather simple to clean with a brush and wet rag. Due to being a slide in, bedding is supported by front and rear bars that slide into the 'c' brackets on the box. I'd would have preferred the standard bed support posts. Since you drop the canvas inside, then through the bedding on top of that, any dew will get things damp. It dries rather quickly and since the material is marine-type, there shouldn't be a problem. There are a lot of give/takes and I had thought I thought of it all out prior to purchase, but the camper is a little short in sleeping length, little tight in width (basic design not to accomodating to an open environment) with the bench seats and table, no interior access from outside other than through door (would be nice if there were other access doors to the storage areas next to the door as well as under the bench areas), and the table is a little short for the length of the sleeping cushions.
But again, its a slide-in camper for a pickup truck. Quicksilver has other camping trailers that really don't weigh that much more, but their dimensions are similar to other pop-up style camping boxes and that's is too large for my storage requirements.
LeisureLite does have something similar for a truck, but the bedding is all on one side, though a queen.
Another Jeep clubber uses the Quicksilver 10.0 and he states he loves it. Queen beds on either end, large interior space, light weight, and easy of setup. He also has same feeling for the snaps for the cover. He would prefer a cord sewn into the cover's edge. We've talked about that change and how easy it would be to do.

I am looking to sell my Quicksilver, not because of defects, my analysis prior to purchased didn't meet my actual real life needs. I'm weighing to build my own camper similar to a standie teardrop, or something like those campers out of South Africa with a flip top, or not really worry about camping in the next couple of years as I have 7 years of high school (2 kids 3 grades apart). Although getting away for a weekend or week at a time wheeling and camping would be more acceptable. The Roughneck can be easily put together with a door framed truck camper top. Just add a floor and sides to my trailer frame. Hmmm. One side could have a swing kitchen like those older pop-ups (early 70s) for outside or inside cooking depending on weather. Access doors are easily placed in during the build. Insulated floor to keep the bare feet warm lol.

Most of my camping is with wheeling/Jeeping. Many nights are 1-2 nights for weekend visits, and on occasions like last week, I was in Moab for a week+. After pulling this camper and frame over 3 states, the frame is over-built and adds considerable weight to the overall camper. I was going 15mph (4800rpms) in first gear (auto) into the Eisenhower/Jefferson tunnel.

Hopefully, my experience has helped you.

Last edited:

dillo

Thanks jagular7 -- I really appreciate your taking the time to share details like that -- very helpful.

You even touched on one of the things I forgot to ask about: the support for the fold-out beds and the support bars versus posts (like what the LeisureLite uses.) I wasn't sure how sturdy that'd feel in practice, even though I doubt I could damage it with my butt bouncing around trying to get comfy.

The interior outlets are a surprise -- didn't expect them to be there -- that's what confused me on the connectors on the outside. On the lock, I was hoping it might lock the lids when closed but sounds like it doesn't.

I don't have experience taking trailers camping and so have naturally been drawn more to ways I can keep everything in the truck. Before I go to plunk down any money on this slide-in quicksilver, I should probably spend more time learning about trailers.

jagular7

Adventurer
Your welcome.

Securing the tops together wouldn't be a problem with a simple L brackets and a masterlock. But anyone with a proper tools will get in.

Anyways, I weighed the trailer today as I was curious. My Jeep TJ with winch, full gas, bumpers, and no one weighed 3700#s. The trailer had a 160# tongue and the axle weighed 1100#s. So that makes the trailer ~1300#s. The black cargo box had some spare axle shafts for the TJ and that's about it (no tools). My kitchen box was still inside as well as 2 campfire seats, an extra setup table, 2 sleeping bags, 1 pillow, couple blankets, and small items for the campfire/night. Makes me wonder what the trailer would weigh by itself.
Its a military M101 trailer c-channel frame, boxed boat tongue, and extra 2x3x.25 to strengthen it. Suspension is military, Dexter 3500# axle, and 14" wheels/tires. Makes you wonder if the camper does weigh the 440#s as advertised.

dillo

Any guesses on how much it does weigh? Maybe from when you set it or moved it around on the trailer before mounting?

jagular7

Adventurer
dillo said:
Any guesses on how much it does weigh? Maybe from when you set it or moved it around on the trailer before mounting?

It is light. 4 people lifted it off the display stand and placed in on the trailer frame. I used wood and straps as a way of holding the camper on the trailer and to keep it from moving sideways till I set it on the trailer.

I know the trailer is overly built for the purpose, but that is what I had available and put easily together. Or I should have just stayed with the boat trailer with upgraded suspension and axle. That would probably woud have been a better option.

The basic Quicksilver camper has its own aluminum frame. It is basically a simple side rail with couple cross-overs. Since it is welded to the base frame of the camper, the camper is part of the structural frame. I should have done something similar to keep it lighter weight.

jerdog53

Explorer
I like what you did with this and had been thinking about doing something very similar with this unit or the Lees-ure Lite truck unit. I have a LJ and want a light unit that would have to be very off road capable. Thanks for the link to Weis Craft and the roughtneck I like the hard side design!

jagular7

Adventurer
My daughter helped me remove it from the trailer. I managed to push it back far enough off the back of the trailer to put it on jack stands. Then as I kept the front off the trailer, my daughter drove the Jeep with trailer out from underneath. I laid it onto 3 furniture dollys. So its a 1-man job with a daughter.
100_4585.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. It was an idea that was very light weight, but just doesn't serve my needs as well as I had thought.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Mike,

What did you not like about it? What size truck bed is it designed for?
It looks like an interesting concept.

Pete Wilson
Ottawa, KS

jagular7

Adventurer
pete.wilson said:
Hey

Mike,

What did you not like about it? What size truck bed is it designed for?
It looks like an interesting concept.

Pete Wilson
Ottawa, KS

Pete read the above posts from me about what I'd like and dislike of the camper as well as my idea of a light weight camper for the Jeep.

Measurements show it will fit fullsize short or long beds. The short bed may not be able to close the tailgate, so that can be removed.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Anybody have one of these long term? Read through the thread just wanted to see how they last, how someone likes them over time and how hard is it to get on and off the truck regularly?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998