Any Fjällräven fans on here?

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Well now that the cat is out of the bag I would like to take this opportunity to let everyone know that the Tiktaalik store will soon be carrying a select few Fjällräven items. In addition, starting in 2016 Tiktaalik will also carry Fjällräven tents. I will be testing their tents this summer and most likely there will be a limited pre-order opportunity some time this August offered exclusively to fellow ExPo members. If you're interested and wish to get notified you can PM me and I will put you on a list.

Tiktaalik-Fjällräven-Akka.jpg

AKers

I have two of their jackets, the greenland #1 down jacket and the Yupik parka. Both work great for keeping the cold weather at bay and I really like the parka when the wind is howling. What makes things better, my place of employment is a dealer for them.

Now that I think of it, I should get some new shorts for when I go to Moab this year, lol.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Following that logic one could then also argue that all Filson's products are 'just fashion pieces' as well. I find the G-1000 fabric superior in many ways, particularly in durability, and especially if waxed and properly cared for. My Arc'teryx Gore-tex Shell and Pants are my rain jackets. They spend most of their time on a hanger or as a back up in luggage. I rarely ever use them any more. Only in a severe downpour and we have a few of those here in Portland but rarely do I bother to pull them out.

It wasn't a matter of the G-1000 and its effectiveness, it was the fact that they touted the waterproof capabilities of the material, and then only put it on half the jacket and used some non-waterproof and non-wind proof stretch fabric for the rest.

Filson is a fashion brand. They just happen to have a few items that still work well. I own a lot of it, but when I'm heading out on a trip, aside from occasionally bringing a Filson duffel, it gets left behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
I agree. They shouldn't claim its waterproof when its only water resistant. Did they claim resistant or proof? Resistant is as vague as it gets anyway. There's a lot of hunters out there that would argue that Filson is not a fashion brand. Like the majority of them. My point here being true waterproofness is rarely needed and in my opinion, is over-rated. The 0.0000001% amount of the time that I spend climbing Everest it would certainly be my choice. The rest of the time, probably not. Sounds like you had a bad experience which I can completely understand. I don't think the stretch is needed personally. Just don't write off the whole brand because you had one bad product. In my mind most other brands are much more fashion oriented than Fjällräven. Pretty much anyone that makes a shiny down jacket falls in that category. I like the fact that my FR down jacket uses a way more durable fabric and can be waxed to increase water resistance. I have been wearing FR for the last 35 years so I may be a little biased. ;)

It wasn't a matter of the G-1000 and its effectiveness, it was the fact that they touted the waterproof capabilities of the material, and then only put it on half the jacket and used some non-waterproof and non-wind proof stretch fabric for the rest.

Filson is a fashion brand. They just happen to have a few items that still work well. I own a lot of it, but when I'm heading out on a trip, aside from occasionally bringing a Filson duffel, it gets left behind.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
91526327b3d2e75ff655b31d8d64dc6c.jpg

I guess it's just hard to take a brand seriously when they market the Keb Jacket like this, but in reality it is inappropriate for the circumstances they show.

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Let me ask you this. When this jacket inadequately performed, were you scaling a peak at high altitude as pictured? This jacket is made for breathability and flexibility, perfectly appropriate performance requirements for the activity shown. Nowhere in the product description do they claim that it is water resistant or repellant. The right tool for the right job. A jacket like that, regardless of brand is the appropriate choice for that type of activity.

I guess it's just hard to take a brand seriously when they market the Keb Jacket like this, but in reality it is inappropriate for the circumstances they show.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I agree. They shouldn't claim its waterproof when its only water resistant. Did they claim resistant or proof? Resistant is as vague as it gets anyway. There's a lot of hunters out there that would argue that Filson is not a fashion brand. Like the majority of them. My point here being true waterproofness is rarely needed and in my opinion, is over-rated. The 0.0000001% amount of the time that I spend climbing Everest it would certainly be my choice. The rest of the time, probably not. Sounds like you had a bad experience which I can completely understand. I don't think the stretch is needed personally. Just don't write off the whole brand because you had one bad product. In my mind most other brands are much more fashion oriented than Fjällräven. Pretty much anyone that makes a shiny down jacket falls in that category. I like the fact that my FR down jacket uses a way more durable fabric and can be waxed to increase water resistance. I have been wearing FR for the last 35 years so I may be a little biased. ;)
I've ridden my motorcycle 1000 miles in a day through driving rain and 40 degree temperatures. Waterproof mattered quite a bit...
Not so much in the Jeep. But, when the temperatures dip and I'm camping, I plan to be dry. Completely dry.

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
Waterproofing matters quite a bit... if you're riding a motorcycle in the rain. The right tool for the right job, was the point I was trying to make. Riding a motorcycle is for the most part, not as aerobic of an exercise as say, climbing a mountain so it would make sense then to use a different piece of clothing for that purpose. Gore-tex and rain jackets aren't particularly breathable despite technological advances. When temperatures dip while camping I put on something warm, on the occasion that it rains I put on a rain jacket. I've never had a problem staying dry while camping. It appears that a lot of people myopically focus in on waterproofness like it is the only thing that matters when in reality, a lot of performance requirements matter and that can vary greatly depending on your activity, climate and location.

I've ridden my motorcycle 1000 miles in a day through driving rain and 40 degree temperatures. Waterproof mattered quite a bit...
Not so much in the Jeep. But, when the temperatures dip and I'm camping, I plan to be dry. Completely dry.

Last edited:

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
When I climbed Mount Whitney (Mountaineers Route) I wore the Arc'teryx Gamma SV Jacket. It is a thin, stretchy, somewhat wind-proof and not particularly waterproof jacket yet highly appropriate for this activity and location. I can't speak for every outdoor brand. I only have personal experience with Black Diamond, Nike, Fjällräven and some others, but for the most part the product developers who design these types technical apparel live and breathe this stuff. They're pretty serious about it and they often engage in these activities more than the average person. Theres a high level of world class athletes that are drawn to these type of jobs. So it's a little hard for me to take you seriously when you claim that the Keb jacket wasn't designed for the activity shown, when clearly it is. I don't intend to kick this dead horse a whole lot longer but I do think its important to separate fact from fiction.

Atx_Gamma_SV.jpg

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I still only have the one pair of pants, the Vidda Pro's that I bought this winter in CO - but yesterday I waxed them for the first time, and what a difference!

Wouldn't call them waterproof, but it made a huge difference in the warmth / wind proofing. Neat. The ironing was kind of a pain in the ***, so instead I just folded them up and put them in the oven after waxing at 200 degrees for a bit. Perfect.

jerdog53

Explorer
Well I am headed to Boulder Saturday mainly to hit this store and check out some FjallRaven Gaiter Trousers No.1 in person. I have a buddy (I know right) who has a pair I recently discovered and he loves his, different model, so I'm excited to see!

gratuitous picture....

d6933ac68dcf70490cfb64062f9e5708.jpg

Tiktaalik

Supporting Sponsor
I have a pair and they are fantastic. The best pants I have. Very durable and very well made. They're expensive but the Trousers No 27 are the same style except not as reinforced and the lack the gaiter/zip-off-shorts function. I have a pair of those as well. You can definitely feel the quality. Tight abrasion resistant weave.

fjallraven-trousers-no.-27-sand-30.jpg

Well I am headed to Boulder Saturday mainly to hit this store and check out some FjallRaven Gaiter Trousers No.1 in person. I have a buddy (I know right) who has a pair I recently discovered and he loves his, different model, so I'm excited to see!

gratuitous picture....

d6933ac68dcf70490cfb64062f9e5708.jpg

jerdog53

Explorer
I ended up with the Gater Trouser #1 in the Tarmac as my first flagship pair of pants! It was really hard to decide, I really wanted like 3 different pair but had to chose just one for now but will need to go back soon for another pair! I was wanting these in the orange but when I saw them in person the color was more orange than I liked so went with the Tarmac.

EEEA0669-B888-4AE7-A6C9-CEE4CFD52BDB.jpg

The wife had to shy away from trying any on as she didn't want to fall for one that day....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior