Any Fully built F150 expedition builds?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I got lucky.

Im not stupid. My folks were.

I didnt make any of the mistakes they did. Finding a wife that is even more money conscious than I am doesnt hurt either :sombrero:

jackflash

Observer
Anybody that is financing a truck should NOT be involved in some sort of "build" anyways IMO.
Financing a vehicle is pretty silly. But then, the vast majority of the US lives on credit, well beyond their means, so what do I know?

Wise advice there.

delm

Not even close to being "fully built out", but the beginnings of a slow build:

Current plans are to just build it out enough so that it is the perfect weekend campingmobile for me and my kids.

4x4dreamin

Observer
May be a dumb question, but if a 1/2 ton has a much higher payload than most expo vehicles (Tacomas, JK's, 4 runners, etc.), how would it be a bad choice for an expo vehicle? I mean this concerning payload, not so much wheelbase. I feel that most expo travel is not too serious of off-road activity and does not require solid axles with lockers front and rear. Although, solid axles with front and rear lockers is definitely a positive.

Kaisen

Explorer
May be a dumb question, but if a 1/2 ton has a much higher payload than most expo vehicles (Tacomas, JK's, 4 runners, etc.), how would it be a bad choice for an expo vehicle? I mean this concerning payload, not so much wheelbase. I feel that most expo travel is not too serious of off-road activity and does not require solid axles with lockers front and rear. Although, solid axles with front and rear lockers is definitely a positive.

Because we can buy them here in the US. If they are only available in other parts of the world, they are automatically better for overlanding. Especially if they are only available in Australia, and bonus points if it's a diesel stick shift with tall skinny tires.

4x4dreamin

Observer
I'm not quite following you. If you're referring to parts availability around the world I would understand why 1/2 tons are not a good platform. I guess was thinking more on a domestic stance, because the majority of expedition vehicles here in the US are not diesels. I'm not trying to argue anything, I'm just curious. I like half-ton pick ups and have no use for a diesel, so I'm wondering why they would be a bad choice for an expo vehicle.

Last edited:

Kaisen

Explorer
Tongue in cheek
ExPo'ers think that if a XYZ truck travels the Outback with bullbars and jerry cans, then it must be better than what works well here

4x4dreamin

Observer
Tongue in cheek
ExPo'ers think that if a XYZ truck travels the Outback with bullbars and jerry cans, then it must be better than what works well here
I get it, sorry for being a bit slow in the head. I guess I couldn't see the sarcasm behind the text. The consensus here seemed to be that a half ton was not worth getting for an expo vehicle.

zimm

Expedition Leader
Anybody that is financing a truck should NOT be involved in some sort of "build" anyways IMO.

Financing a vehicle is pretty silly. But then, the vast majority of the US lives on credit, well beyond their means, so what do I know?

I dont owe a nickle on anything other than real estate.

so when i got a fleet of vans at 0% over 5 years and dumped money into boeing, i was a moron. thanks for you sage advise, mr buffet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78