Any input on 255/85s and stock gears?

ScottyDog

Adventurer
Thats what we said! And it wasn't just the local store we were dealing with...It was online with their HQ warehouse in Compton, Ca...

Crookthumb said:
That is ridiculous that they wouldn't sell him a tire because it would break up a set. What do they expect us all to be mall cruisers with donut spares? How long would it have taken them to order in a new set of tires? Honestly.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I've been running the BFG MT 255/85R16's for some time on stock 3.73's with an auto tranny.

It is OK, but the truck had more power with the stock size tires. I will be regearing with 4.88's not only to regain power but to improve low speed trail ability.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Low-Range crawling is the hidden secret with low gears. I love my LT255/85R16 tires, and I did my 4.88 gears swap mostly for on-highway drivability. But my crawl ratio and both low & high-range 4x4 performance is phenomenal!

Gearing Matters.

TACODOC said:
snip...... I will be regearing with 4.88's not only to regain power but to improve low speed trail ability.

slomatt

Adventurer
Thank you for all the input. Gearing in 4LO is a big concern of mine, I was planing to install a double transfer case at some point to lower the final crawl ratio.

Haven't had a chance to try out the 285s yet, but will post the results when I do.

- Matt

dbdavis181

my .02 with my new 255's and a 5spd with stock 4.10 gears. I can still hold highway speeds easily and only have to down shift on real steep grades. 55 no prob usually and never have to downshift on the interstate. Haven't done much 4 Lo only 4 Hi so can't say much on crawling.

slomatt

Adventurer
I ended up buying a set of 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns. This size is a good compromise based on my intended use, it maintains the street manners and should give me better traction and a little more clearance offroad.

So far I've only put about 40 miles on the Bighorns but I'm very happy with them. There is no discernible difference in acceleration due to the increase in weight and diameter. They rumble a bit when coming to a stop and they are louder on the freeway than the stock tires, but nowhere near as loud as the 33" TrXus MTs I have on my ZJ. I was able to sell my stock sized tires for $150 so the total expense for the tire change was reasonable.

IMG_0241.jpg

- Matt

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Just to add to food for thought, remember most of your driving is going to be highway miles getting to and from the trails. Changing gearing will effect your cruise speed and RPMs to get there (especially in a manual) and hence your fuel economy. Most of your fuel expense is getting to/from. Also, it will change your speedo and mileage accuracy.

Lastly, car manufacturers spend countless time and tons of R&D to get it right. The we lift the vehicle (increased stress on drive train), change suspension, change tires/gears, increase the load with our expedition glamper gear and then expect the rig to hold up on road conditions that it was not totally designed for?

Aren't we expecting a lot from such modified vehicles? Do we know better than Toyota (whomever) engineers? I have found most Toyota owners try to keep their rigs as close to stock as they can. Toyota engineers are amongst the best in the world, why screw with their design/work?

SunFlower

Adventurer
For what its worth.....I had a 1987 toyota pickup with a 5sp and 22R engine (4cyl). I had stock gears and 33 x 12.50 mud terrains. I put almost 110,000 miles on it with those tires. I believe the engine made about 105-115 hp. I got almost 32 mpg on the highway and took that truck off roading EVERYWHERE and it performed awsome.
For all the people who say those tires are too big for stock gears and bogs everything down I just dont believe it. I think they want their SUV or truck to run like a sports car at all times.
I now have a 2008 FJ and I am going to run the 255/85/16 tires soon. I cant imaging it would be any problem with stock gears and 230 hp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78