Any input on these batteries ?

TwinStick

Explorer
http://www.cabelas.com/product/boat...tteries/_/N-1100564/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104446080

Specifically, the Gp 31 size. Who makes them ? Odyssey maybe ? I ask this because we have a Cabela's store within driving distance. They will be powering an ARB 82qt & a 50qt fridge/freezers. I will wait until they are on sale. I have this charger already http://www.cabelas.com/product/boat...verters/_/N-1100565/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104465880 It is the 20 amp x 2 model. I can charge batteries with it while driving or from shore power or my Honda Gen when stopped. Thanks.

zelatore

Explorer
I've always wondered what a 'marine' battery is. Being that I work in the marine industry I use deep cycle batteries (flooded or AGM) for house loads, starting batteries for starting loads, and dual purpose batteries for small boats that don't have dedicated services.

So....which one is the 'marine' battery?
(yeah, that term bothers me a bit)

Even more fun is when my clients want to buy their own batteries. They usually assume any battery they put on a boat has to be a deep cycle and can't seem to grasp the idea of what a deep cycle battery is actually for.

As to the battery shown, the raised plastic square sections of the case around the posts resembles an Odyssey. Northstar has a flat top to their case. I'm not a huge fan of the Odyssey group 31 but have been running a Northstar in my Rover for a while now with no complaints on it's performance, though I did find the terminal spacing was a bit different than a standard gp31.

zelatore

Explorer
Oh, and I'm guessing the charger they sell is a rebranded ProMariner from a cursory glance. I never quite trust the 'store brand' items like this, but if it's really just a name brand product with the store logo slapped on it and sold at a discount it should be OK. I'd still feel more comfortable with the 'real' product though.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I've always wondered what a 'marine' battery is. Being that I work in the marine industry I use deep cycle batteries (flooded or AGM) for house loads, starting batteries for starting loads, and dual purpose batteries for small boats that don't have dedicated services.

So....which one is the 'marine' battery?
(yeah, that term bothers me a bit)

I've looked into this a bit myself... I never did come across a clear definition of "marine battery". Best I've come up with is a marine battery simply has extra stud terminals on the battery case in addition to standard automotive post type terminals. There is no other consistency I've found (all three: starting/SLI batteries, dual-purpose batteries, and deep-cycle batteries are available in this post & stud configuration)

So when someone says "Don't use a marine battery", all they are really saying is Don't use a battery that also has studs on it. Which of course that makes no sense (and excludes a lot of good batteries of all 3 types).

I suspect they intend to say "don't use a dual-purpose battery", as that seems to be what a small majority of such post + stud batteries are, yet this makes absolutely no sense either... A dual-purpose battery is a little more akin to a deep-cycle than it is akin to a starting battery, but is often physically built more robust than a deep-cycle battery (so will handle vehicle vibrations better).
I have used "dual-purpose" batteries in my rig much more often than not. I've cycled them many hundreds of times over as much as a 12-year lifespan. They are quite acceptable batteries for our uses (what I would NOT use them for is a stationary off-grid residential system... This is where true deep-cycle batteries should be used).

ajmaudio

Adventurer
Marine batteries are marketed as a "hybrid" of a starting battery and deep cycle... your better off buying a deep cycle for your uses... more ah and longer life in its intended use

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Marine batteries are marketed as a "hybrid" of a starting battery and deep cycle..
Sometimes, but not always. Generally, any battery that has an extra pair of studs for connecting something like a trolling motor is marketed as a marine battery. For example, Optima Blue marine batteries come in both starting and dual purpose versions, both with the extra pair of studs, and appear to be identical except for the shade of gray on the lower case. Their electrical specs are different, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman