Any of you running 235/85/16 tires?

Firebear MD718

Observer
Hi Guys,
Just my .02, but living in Northern Idaho, I have been running KM2 235/85/16 from Tire Rack on a stock 2010 Toyota Steelie for the past 2yrs, from Mud up to the axle to 3+ feet of snow and the trick / advice is learn to air them down, my normal psi is 38/40psi Hwy and 20/9psi off road pending trail conditions and I've put almost 38,000 mi on them and still in good shape and rotated every 4 / 5000 miles.
Good Travelin to ya

Last edited:

sparkplug

I apoligize if this has been covered (I did read through and didn't see it mentioned.) Has anyone run 245-75-17's on factory TRD wheels. I need to replace mine soon and was thinking of this option.

Thanks

StarGazer

Observer
If you had a choice. Which of these would be the best?

* Firestone Destination MT
* Yoko Geolandar MT
* General Grabber
* BF Comp T/A MT

Cytocycle

Observer
I have a 2012 Taco Double Cab TRD off-road with 16" stock 265/70/16 and was wondering the differences between the 235/85/16 and the 255/85/16 as I think I can run the 235's without a 3" suspension lift which I don't have. does anyone feel they need spacers with stock rims to get the extra width for stability.
what about airing down the tire for rocks, I live in AZ and was wondering if the 235's work good enough on the rocks as 255's? I was thinking BFG KM2's.

Thanks
Chris

StarGazer

Observer
Choices

I am running (265/70/16) You can see the tires stick out approximately 3" from the fenders (no rubbing).

If I run 235's they will probably even up with the fender. He is my latest pics with lights.

Attachments

• Toyo4.JPG
    Toyo4.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20120807_154859.jpg
    IMG_20120807_154859.jpg
    589.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Toyo3.JPG
    Toyo3.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 38

Scott Brady

Founder
We are running Cooper AT3s on our Land Cruiser. Great tire for that truck.
487371_10150998197013914_2034619854_n.jpg

I will also be running a 235/85 for the next set of tires on my Discovery.

Overall, if extreme terrain is not part of the travel plans, this tire yields some nice benefits, principally on fuel efficiency.

What width of wheels are you guys running with these tires? It seems like a 6.5" wide would be about perfect, but I can't find anything narrower than 7"

Bloodnok

Here's my 2012 with 235/85/16 KM2s on the stock wheels. The lift is OME with 885 springs up front and Dakar leafs in the back. I'm planning on going with 255/85's eventually, but pulled these off my Disco before I sold it. I haven't had the Tacoma off road with them yet but I never had problems in my Disco. They ride just fine on the highway.

taco_newtires.jpg

taco_newtires2.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
Question: since the suspension/body lift is making the center of gravity higher and the 235s are making the track narrower, has anyone noticed any ill effects at highway speeds? I know the trucks are not supposed be sports cars but in emergency situations if you swerve hard would the combination of additional height and narrower wheels cause a problem in a real world situation?

Last edited:

zolo

Explorer
Question: since the suspension/body lift is making the center of gravity higher and the 235s are making the track narrower, has anyone noticed any ill effects at highway speeds? I know the trucks are not supposed be sports cars but in emergency situations if you swerve hard would the combination of additional height and narrower wheels cause a problem in a real world situation?

No, this is a major misconception with the 235 and 255 tire sizes.
One thing is for sure a 235 or 255 tire does not change the track of the truck. It does not make the truck narrower. Not sure what you mean by that.
Most lifts are not so radical that they make the truck drive any different. In most nicer lifts at around 2.5-3" they seem to help the truck drive better with added weight and just drive better in general. I don't even run a sway bar any longer and I've run both 235 and 255s.
The truck handles better and steers better with the narrower tires on. It does better off road and is IMHO the best set up for longer on/off road trips with added weight.

I'm not sure why folks think wider tires help at all... In fact I've noticed wider tires make most trucks handle terrible on road and at speed. They don't have as high a load rating and don't seem to do as well.

The stability from a good 235 and 255 is far better IMO than any wide heavy mud terrain.

In the real world No problems with aggressive driving if needed...ask me how I know:ylsmoke:

stioc

Expedition Leader
One thing is for sure a 235 or 255 tire does not change the track of the truck.

I'm not sure I agree. Depending on the wheel offset when you go to a narrower tire you will lose the track width (outside parts of the wheel's attachment point on the hub). It's minor but add the left and the right tire width it could be 1-2" which may not seem like much but coming from the car racing background that's quite a bit, same with the lift i.e. 1-2" of center of gravity makes a difference. Having said that in the racing world we're competing for the 1/10ths of a sec which is not the case here so perhaps there's no significant downside to a slight narrower and a higher center of gravity for all intents and purposes in this application. I'm probably going to go with 245/75/16 for my Pathfinder which is a 31" tire vs. 32", still an upgrade from the stock 29" tires I have on now (255/65/16).

Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear that you haven't noticed any ill handling with the narrower tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12