Any one have any experience with the Dometic Portable freezer? (not Thermoelectric)

I was going to mention Norcol too.

Has anyone considered making a fridge and freezer? You can build a custom box, a top loader. You can get all the parts all you need is an insulated box. Often a favorite way of getting cold beer by sailors and live-aboards and fishermen keeping the catch frozen.

never heard of this done. I would be interested in s build sheet. So far I'm happy with the dome tic buy I would have been nice go save even more money. I'd be alot prouder if I built my own instead of dishing out $499

I just finished the Dusy Ershim trail. we took our time and did it in 6 days with a lot of camping and fishing in between. The Dometic fridge performed just as promised. two of my buddies have the ARB fridges and to be honest I didn't see any difference in performance. The only difference I can really see is the lid design. I like the lid on the ARB fridge better because it seems sturdier but it also requires a little more overhead room to open. I have had the Dometic plugged in my 2002 grand Cherokee since the day I bought it and it has performed perfectly. I'm really happy with it especially since it was only $499 Vs. $800+ for a comparable ARB. Ill post up more details after a few more months of continuous use, or if it malfunctions. But as of now I am really happy with this unit.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Sorry for the thread hijack below; jgvlander, congrats on your awesome purchase! I have an Edgestar 43 qt and life with a truck fridge has been a whole new experience, for sure!

I was going to mention Norcol too.

Has anyone considered making a fridge and freezer? You can build a custom box, a top loader. You can get all the parts all you need is an insulated box. Often a favorite way of getting cold beer by sailors and live-aboards and fishermen keeping the catch frozen.
I am thinking of doing this soon (meaning within the next 1-1.5 years), because I bought some parts for cheap during the recession which have been lying around for 4 or 5 years:
Danfoss BD35F + 5 foot long aluminum plate evaporator for $100 on ebay
Danfoss 101N0210 Power Module for $65 on ebay.

For brand new, this would be like $700-$800. I have been testing them and so far, after running off-and-on for a couple months, they seem to be working perfectly.
So, I am looking at around 500-600 dollars savings on equipment that seems about as good as new (yes, I understand additional risk relating to lifetime, etc. But given my expected usage I feel pretty comfortable for 10-15 yr. time horizon so long as i don't puncture the plumbing and create a coolant leak).

But don't worry...I plan to make up for this savings by buying expensive insulation (aerogel-based), which will allow me to maximize volume, by making it a dual zone with a freezer and ridge compartment (requiring 2X (digital, of course!) thermostats), and by optimizing compressor efficiency by purchasing variable-compressor speed control circuitry.

When all is said and done, I will still probably end up spending about $1000 for everything. But it will have been spread out over several years; and it will be custom-sized to fit my existing location; and it will offer with maximum electrical efficiency while offering freezing and cooling benefits customized to my exact desires. This is all what I keep telling myself, anyways...!

When I get to a point where meaningful progress is "on the cusp", I will start a thread for it.

Can you please post a picture with it opened.

I don't have any, ill take one for you tomorrow morning
fyi I bought it on sale for $499 last month from camping world. they just bumped the price up a lot. I would wait until its on sale again because its priced to closely with the ARB

Last edited:

mm58

Observer
I bought a second-hand Waeco CF35 (division of Dometic) on craigslist for a gonga price. I had to replace a diode and a fuse on the main board, but it is now running like a champ! Extremely quiet and gets cold fast.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
My only issue in my 12 jk is the voltage drop, if set to med or hi it cycles off and on. Set it on low and it works great. This was with oem battery. It lasted about a day and a half and the fridge shutoff but jeep still started. The freezer is a cf50 dometic. My deka intimidator agm should be here in a few days, figured its better than oem battery when you cant afford a dual setup. Also plan on wiring in a new outlet with 8-10 gauge wire. I like the new arb locking plug but to expensive for what you can do yourself.

Howdy, I had the same problem with my 2012 Wrangler with OEM battery. I changed my battery to ODYSSEY Extreme Series Battery PC1220 so now it works with hi and medium setting with my Waeco/Dometic CF-40. I have the stock Wiring

152212651.jpg

Can you please post a picture with it opened.

zynutyqe
ygevu5aq

That's as far as I can open it without taking it out of the jeep. The lid comes completely off if you open it all the way. I can get to everything just fine but if I want to take the whole basket out I have to take the fridge out of the jeep
pe9uqe3y

Last edited:

dcg141

Adventurer
I have a CFX 65 and its proven to be reliable and works as advertised. Its needs some amperage to run. I have modified the stock 12v cable to anderson plugs. I still use a regular cooler for drinks but all my food goes in the Dometic....no more watery food!!!

VTlandrover

Adventurer
i have the 39 quart waeco/dometic fridge/freezer . i'm very impressed with both the price and build of the fridge. the compressor is super quiet, cools down and holds the set temp. i did buy the cover with the insulation, again well built and displays the waeco logo discreetly as opposed to the "in your face" dometic logo! well worth the savings over the comprarable arb unit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears