Any One Tried these Bumpers?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I have seen this style on local trucks.
It is for looks only, Thin tubing bends easy, powder coating is thin and the metal rusts fast.
Ok if you have a parking lot queen garage kept and washed every week.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I guess for $209 bucks you can always throw it away if you dont like it. I say go for it, unless you want to invest $1000 to $2000 for a serious bumper....:ylsmoke:

ktmryder

What does a serius bumper consist of? I am looking to keep the stock look of my truck, but I want a deer to bounce off a little better. If there are any suggestions of a good bumper let me know. Thanks

montypower

Adventure Time!
Those brush guards will cause more damage if you hit an animal than having nothing. They only bolt on at the bottom so when you impact something the top folds down into your hood, fenders and lights. You really want an "ARB" style bumper to protect your truck from a deer. The brush guards are for "looks" and have little to no functionality.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
More than your stock plastic bumper! You can call ARB in Seattle and ask their tech guys. I don't think they publish weights on the website. I would expect 80-100 lbs. As said above, the "guard" you found on eBay will keep shopping carts from scuffing your front end, but a deer will bend that thing to rat$hit in about 2/10ths of a second!

BurbanAZ

Explorer
the brushguards, especially the cheaper ones on ebay wont do much to actually protect the front of your truck from a hard impact. Like someone else said the ARB bumpers are awesome if you have the money. I built mine because i wanted something really strong but did have the money for an arb. Im not sure about your fab skills but if may be easier for you to make one that way it can be the size, strength and weight that you want.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
ARB bumpers are not all their cracked up to be. i seen an ARB on a cherokee get both sides tweeked to where we had to cut it just by the tires rubbing on it offroad, and it was an open diff. now of course the tires shouldnt have been rubbing on it but if it wont hold up to a little tire rub, i dont see it helping much against a deer.

edit
found a pic of one side, other side matched also

Last edited:

Texan1983

Adventurer
ha, sorry, but the wings mean nothing about the bumper... usually the wings are cosmetic, why to they need to be that heavy built? arb's are pretty good with animal impacts...

bob91yj

Resident **************
why to they need to be that heavy built? arb's are pretty good with animal impacts...

So you have to center up on the animal to hit it with no significant damage?

For the OP's question,m the grill guard you were looking at are fondly referred to as "doublers" in the body shop business. They usually cause double the damage when hit.

PsychoBurb

Observer
http://ranchhand.com/

I've seen many of these bumpers after an impact with a deer. No notable damage to any of them. I've seen one bumper on a truck that drives in some of the most dense whitetail country we have, that has literally hit more than 2 dozen deer. This one had some of the round tubing tweaked a little bit, but the main portion of the bumper was ready for a few dozen more. Ranch Hand builds stout stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman