Any practical use or need for heavy chain?

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
I have the opportunity to get 60 feet of heavy duty chain (for 10 bucks), but to be honest im not sure what I would use it for. I am sure I could use a few sections around the garage and what not for random things (hoisting, etc). I am wondering if any of you use chains for anything???

I have plenty of tow straps, snatch straps and winchline, so I wouldnt (at least I dont think) want to use it for anything pertaining to off-roading.

Just wondering if I should get it because it is so cheap. Its at a ladys house and she is selling it in a garage sale. To buy this much galvanized heavy chain would normally be expensive.

~James

IggyB

Adventurer
It's probably fairly heavy and looks stout but may not take much of a load to break.

I have chain that I carry in the truck. It's 3/8" grade 70 plated transport chain. With Grade 7 rated hooks.

Anything less is not worth having. Anything that does not have a rating stamped on the chain link or is made in that certain place overseas should be used to tie the dog down.

IMHO

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I use a chain for skidding logs when I cut fire wood. Also when I'm clearing brush, I use it to pull saplings up to ~2.5" diameter. I never use one offroad. 60 feet is going to fill a three gallon bucket and weigh 40 plus lbs.

edit: for $10 I'd grab it

Last edited:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
My furry children stay in the house, so no need to tie them up...LOL.

I know this is a 3/8 link, and I am sure its heavy, but not sure about the rest. I am going to go check it out Sat morning. If it look good, I will probably pick it up. I am sure somewhere in the future, I will use it.

emmodg

Adventurer
Chain is great to set anchors on rocks where a nylon strap would risk getting cut. I use them to anchor trucks that are winching to prevent movement. They are nice to drag logs and brush off trail. Again, better idea than risking a cut on a strap. Chains are easily adjusted to any length, many times you have to use a knot sinnet or daisy chain on a strap to change length. Just learn to choke the chain correctly - don't try and put the end of the hook in a link opening. The hook chokes the solid side of the chain, not the welded side. But DON'T EVER use them in a dynamic recovery situation! They DO NOT STORE ENERGY and love to explode when they break under load! And yes, grade 7 or 8 is the minimum grade you want.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
And don't forget if you are hand winching with a hi-lift a chain works well since there is little stretch to take up and it is adjustable as you work.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Hi-lift winching is why I carry some. But grade 70 is what you want. Anything less is dangerous not worth its own weight.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
So would it be a good idea to keep...say... a 20 foot section of it in the truck with me, and the rest in the garage for use on an "as needed" basis? Good idea about the rock strapping, as well as dragging trees and brush. I have already had to drag a couple fallen trees off the trail and had to use my straps.

So, there should be markings on the chain itself to dictate the grade? I dont think it has hooks... but maybe. I am going to check it out, and will likely get it. For 10 bucks I cant see myself going wrong.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Here is a picture she just sent me, doesnt appear to be too rusted. It almost looks galvanized. I replied back to her about if it had any hooks.

4760097951c3db4537e76.jpg

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
How can you go wrong for $10 ? There's probably lots of less critical things you can do with it. Heck, it's probably worth $10 to the scrap guy!
Jason T.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
So, there should be markings on the chain itself to dictate the grade?

Most do, at least the ones I've seen. Not on each link, but at least every 3rd or 4th link has the markings. If there are no markings, I definitely wouldn't trust it for hi-lift winching.

frgtwn

Adventurer
Chain is one of those tools that you find uses for, either when you have it, or when you wish you had it. It can be a good idea to keep short lengths of chain in your kit, so even if this particular chain may not be useful for longer lengths, you and 5 friends could be happy campers for less than 2 bucks each.

Chain can tie down a motor when an engine mount has broken.

Similarly, it can be used to tie down a rear end when a leaf spring breaks.

I have used it to tie a broken trailer hitch to a vehicle.

It can be used as a limit strap, a vise or clamp, a tightener, a stretcher; let the problem tell you.

Carry an assortment of bolts and nuts that will tie the chain together. And, if you want to get fancy, throw in a few chain connectors, shackles, and hooks for various applications. A slip hook is especially useful for pulling logs or brush.

At least one truck in the group needs to carry chain. Who's it gonna be?

chuck45

Observer
Chain is great to have along. I carry a 20 ft length of 3/8" US made Grade 70 transport chain. Grade 80 is way more expensive than 70 and the local Wire Rope store didn't recommend it as they felt it was a lot more brittle and the rated increase in strength is not that great. A Grade 70 is rated at a WLL of 6600 and a Grade 80 has a WLL of 7100. Yet Grade 80 costs about 70% more than Grade 70. Grade 70 is considered Transport chain while Grade 80 is for overhead lifting. As I recall the break rating for 3/8 grade 70 is 4X which is 26,400. Grade 70 is the only D.O.T. approved chain.

All the legit Grade 70 chain I have seen has the yellow dichromate finish. The above picture looks to be silver and is probably Grade 30 which is rated at about 2500#. If you are not 100% sure it is Grade 70 I would not carry it. If it is of Chinese manufacture I wouldn't carry it regardless of what they claim it is as I've seen Chinese chains break too often. Their metalurgy is as suspect as the lead content of their toys.

As to what it's good for I primarily use mine as a winch anchor around very large rocks. My other use is to winch backwards with my HiLift. With the rigging provided in the HiLift Off Road Kit it's not bad to do as you don't loose the progress you've made when re-rigging. Having a 60" HiLift is good in this situation. It can also be used as a winch line extension. Just always make sure that the load is static and never dynamic.

Eric S.

Adventurer
I have been debating what chain to by myself. I do believe it would have many uses but was wondering how safe it would be to use grade 70 chain with WLL of 6600lbs as a winch line extension or anchor around a rock when the winch 8000lbs? I'm glad this topic came up since I was planing to get some 3/8 grade 100 chain.

One more use: Chain is also useful to bend a tie rod back into shape with a HiLift

chuck45

Observer
I have been debating what chain to by myself. I do believe it would have many uses but was wondering how safe it would be to use grade 70 chain with WLL of 6600lbs as a winch line extension or anchor around a rock when the winch 8000lbs? I'm glad this topic came up since I was planing to get some 3/8 grade 100 chain.

One more use: Chain is also useful to bend a tie rod back into shape with a HiLift

I go back to my experience in the energy industry and as someone who has held a commercial drivers license since the late 70's. From what I have seen and done I would bet that in a static enviornment your winch would stall or your winch cable would fail before your Grade 70 3/8" chain. Most chain failures I have seen have been from mis-use, using unknown chain or abusing a chain (for instance using it to tow a vehicle and letting it drag against the road grinding it down and weakening it then expecting it to work as designed). The reason, other than cost, that I went with Grade 70 over a higher grade is that of all the chain out there it is more tolerant of a slight dynamic component. Grade 80 and 100 aren't listed as Transport Chain and DOT approved. They are specifically for overhead lifting. With Transport chain think shifting loads and such and a greater ability to absorb them without failure. The guys at the rigging store, that my company does a ton of business with, recommended the Grade 70 Transport chain. The guys who work there who wheel use it in preference to 80. My only caveat is to only buy American made chain and hooks (most farm and ranch type stores sell Chinese) and use it for static loads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior