Any Recommendations for Sleeping Pads?

Number 7

Adventurer
We just bought a new tent and found that our 2 Twin inflatable mattressess don't fit, so we're looking into the 'Self-Inflating' Sleeping Pads available in many stores. (We've needed to pare down for some time, so the tent size is a good thing!).

I've seen Therma-Rest and Coleman brands, there may be others.

They don't look very thick or wide! Are they comfortable? Which one do you like and why?

Any and all comments and recommendations welcome!

Thanks,
GnD

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I've got a pair of Cabela Cot Pads which are pretty nice. They roll up relatively compactly and are about 2.5" thick foam with a nice washable cover. The dimensions are something like 28x74...

Spence

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We have a couple of the Thermarest Dreamtime mattresses. At 3" the Dreamtime is Thermarest's thickest self inflating mattress. They are available both in both 25 and 30" widths. We find them to be quite comfy - not like sleeping at home, but the best we've found for this type of mattress. I also like the non-slip surface on the top. My thinner backpacking Thermarest is covered in nylon on both sides, and I frequently find myself sliding off the mattress if the ground isn't perfectly level.

The only downside I see to them is they are pretty bulky when rolled up, so make sure you'll have room to transport them.

I suggest you try to find a local retailer where you can test some out before you buy.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I have a Thermarest Luxury Camp pad (2.5" thick when inflated). I find it good enough for most camping situations and only $100 versus $175 for the equivalent Dream Time pad.

For me, I found the extra 1/2" wasn't worth it.

If you feel you really need the extra thickness, then consider buying the Thermarest Luxury Camp (2.5") and a Trail Light (1.5" thick) for only $60 and use them together for unequaled thickness.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Go to REI if there is one near you and try them out.
I have the 2.5in and it feels great on my bad back, plus REI has a killer warrenty on their stuff.

Scott Brady

Founder
I have found the Big Agnes primaloft pad to be the best I have used. Incredibly comfortable, thick and insulated. It also packs down to backpacking/adv moto size.

NAdams

Observer
Gotta agree on the REI sleep pads. The 3.5 is supposed to be the bomb...just read all the glowing reviews. I have the 2.5 just because they were out of the 3.5 when I went to buy mine.

I'm about to break mine in on a 2 month camping trip across the West!!:wings:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
We use the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Series pads and like them alot. They are super comfortable, pack down well and are pretty light weight for their size. Ours are the large size and are 25" wide by 76" and inflate to 2.5". You can velcro them together for a twin sleeping arrangement and they fit real nice on our sleeping platform for our LJ.

Rexsname

Explorer
We've been very pleased with our Therm-a-rest pads. We bought them about 8 years ago and have been very pleased. Count us as one more vote (two?) for the therm-a-rests.

REX

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Another vote for the REI pads. My family has a range of them. 1.75" for the kids, 2.5" for the wife, and 3.5" for me. We used to use inflatable air mattresses, but at higher elevation, they get very cold. Switching to these insulated mattresses has been very nice. VERY comfortable, warm, easy to stay perched on in nylon sleeping bags. They are not the most compact things in the world though, especially the 3.5" model.

They are currently on sale for $20 off

0242da6a-6151-4ff0-8e52-3ad5ad221473.jpg

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Wow, the rei pads do sound nice. For almost 20 years I've used a therma rest self inflating pad when back packing, kayak camping, or tent camping. Great.

My wife, who is more rugged than I, has developed a major back issue for the last 3 years. So when sleeping in our van's pop top we use a 3" memory foam mattress that we've cut to fit the pop top. Luck-shoo-ray, let me tell ya. No it doesn't fold down very small and its heavy, but thats why we call the van "The Sherpa".

luk4mud

Explorer
Another REI fan here too. I have both the 2.5 and 3.5 versions. I use the 3.5 in my small backpack size tent and the 2.5 on a cot in my bigger tent. Both are very comfortable and if/ when the get a hole that can't be easily repaired, back they go for a new one!

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Okay, So I am nearly done with my sleeping platform for the back of my 4Runner and I am now looking for some new pads to go on top. I was at the Cabela's in Boise yesterday looking at what they had to offer and discovered something interesting. I measured their deluxe cot pad, with my calibrated finger, and came up with a foam thickness of 2” and not the 3” as advertised. Lying on this on the ground at the store was everything but comfortable. I am not a small person, 6'6” 260#, and would like a little more cushion under me.

So my question is, is this mis-measurement common? I would like to purchase a pad roughly 3-1/2” to 4” thick, actual dimension, so will I need to look for a pad that is advertised as 4-1/2” to 5”?

What is the actual measured thickness of your guy's pads?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior