Any suggestions for an RV junkyard in SoCal (preferably L.A. area)?

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Okay...

So my truck has a 5 gallon horizontal propane tank mounted under the floor on the right side below the sliding side door. The truck is a 1976, but I think the RV conversion was done in 1978 or so (professional conversion).

Anyway, the tank has an early model OPD fill valve called an "Auto Stop":

3176608.jpg

Unlike a normal (modern) OPD with a float to halt the flow, this stupid thing apparently just blows off whenever it thinks the tank is overfilled. And once it blows, it continues to blow until the tank is empty, at which time you can push a reset button (under the red rubber cap in the pic) on the side (but the reset button has a shaft which goes through the body of the valve and it cannot be pushed unless the bleeder on the side of the valve is all the way open).

It also seems that this valve is a known problem, in that it will go bad - eventually, after filling, it will leak propane back out through the fill port (mine did that a few times), and/or once it blows off from overflow, it'll never work right again (yea...mine did that too).

It seems that this valve was somewhat common on the older Westys with 2.5g tank. Someone on TheSamba sells a "normal" valve/bleeder to replace it:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=426729

But, no OPD.

So a couple weeks ago, I'm getting the tank filled at my favorite propane yard, TransGas Propane in Glendale at the corner of San Fernando and Doran ($2.19/gallon yard price as of yesterday (minimum 5g but no handling charge)):

http://www.transgaspropane.com/

And, of course, the stupid Auto Stop blows off (first time that ever happened). So we let the tank drain (5g wasted that I paid for since it wasn't their fault) and then do the reset and stuff a little propane in the tank to test it and...it's still blowing off.

So John, the manager, says he'll check with Manchester about a replacement and let me know. In the meantime I do some research.

I find out the story on the Auto Stop, and find the replacement valve/bleeder on The Samba and John tells me that he can get a replacement Auto Stop from Manchester...but it won't be cheap. I didn't even bother to ask how much, because...

One thing I found out in my research, is that code *requires* an OPD - but there is an exemption for horizontal tanks made prior to 10/1/1998. Yay!

(last bullet on the page)

http://www.nfpa.org/itemDetail.asp?...illing prevention devices (OPD)&cookie_test=1

(Even if there was no exemption, I would have junked the Auto Stop anyway, but I would've had to do it myself because TGP would not have done anything that wasn't up to code.)

So yesterday, I took the truck over to TGP and John and their head mechanic Mike removed the Auto Stop and the 90 and hose that leads from the bleeder port to the bleeder on the side of the Auto Stop (the pic above shows a copper line, but mine had a flex hose) and refitted a standard fill valve and bleeder.

John chopped a chunk out of the rock shield to make the bleeder easy to access from underneath (the bleeder port on the tank is down near the bottom). I had to grind out a notch in the rock shield anyway when I removed the old single-stage regulator and fitted a two-stage regulator, so no worries...it's totally hacked...uh...I mean custom now.

New fill valve and bleeder, installed by the pros in under an hour, with hacked...uh, custom...rock shield mod, leak tested and filled with 5g of propane - $100 out the door, tax included.

Nice. Good people over at TGP.

But while I was down there before - replacing the regulator and the flex lines with new right after I bought the truck, I did a little eyeballing and saw that there is room for a larger tank. My existing tank is hung from the floor, and it has spacers to lower it in order to make the valves accessible.

The tank I have is, I'm pretty sure, the "5.5g" tank shown here:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/rv-propane-tank.htm

Which is 10" X 23", but I've got room for the 11.2g which is 12" x 32".

But I'll be damned if I'll pay 500 bucks for a new one, when I only paid 200 for the truck.

Two years ago I knew I could fit a larger tank, and I've been keeping my eyes open ever since. But I've had a devil of a time finding ANY RV junkyards around the SFV in particular and L.A. in general, so I just sort of let it slide.

But now I really want the bigger tank. :D

So...anyone got a recommendation for an RV junkyard in the L.A. area that might have a Manchester 11.2g van-style (fittings down low) propane tank?

Looks like this:

van-lp-tank_small.jpg

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Thanks guys. But I'm looking for a local RV junkyard - hopefully in the Los Angeles area as that's the sort of place I would probably visit on a regular basis. Even Fontana is quite a haul down the 10 just to "see what they've got".

Everyone I talk to around here says, "Oh, I think there's one in <insert some city that has junkyards> somewhere." Another common response is, "I think Pick-A-Part has some RVs."

There's quite a few SoCal peeps on this site, so I figured maybe someone might have passed by a junkyard with a bunch of RVs in their travels.

Next time I head north, I may stop at a few along the way, including RV Doctor George in Sacramento. If nothing else I can at least see 'The Towering Pile of Poopers':

http://www.rvdoctorgeorge.com/parts.html

I've seen quite a few on the net, including that page at RVers Corner. There's another decent junkyard listing page at Gypsy Journal:

http://www.gypsyjournal.net/RV Surplus and salvage outlets.html

I've also already got a bunch of RSS feeds setup for CL and eBay for tons of different things that I'm always on the lookout for.

But I don't really want to order this particular thing online. Especially used. I want to be able to give it a good eyeballing first, and also to check the mounting hole measurements and know exactly how it's going to fit and mount before I lay down the cash.

Also, with a face-to-face deal, I can get them to agree to give me 30 days to take it to TGP to get it checked out and if they find a serious problem (unlikely, but possible), I want my money back.

DesertDrifter

Observer
I'll second Walts. Was out there last weekend. If you don't mind digging around a bit there are some gems to be found.

quickfarms

Adventurer
Walts has moved to a new location they are located at the southwest corner of valley and sycamore in Rialto. This is about a mile south east of the old location.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12