Any way to add a manual switch for locking the center diff?

All-Terrain

No Road Required
I would like to have manual control of locking the center diff, so that I can stay in Low Range but unlock the center diff if I need to make a tight turn, then re-lock it afterwards, if need be.

Anyone know how to wire one up on a Gen 2?

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
my friend wired up a locking montero axle in his Trooper. Very simple using regular on/off switch hooked up to + and - wires on the air pump.

Im planning on doing that as well so I can use the locker in 2WD. A plus is that we can still see the rear diff light come on on the dash even if its in 2WD.

If I understand correctly the center locking diff is controlled mechanically directly through the in vehicle shifter. I don't think you can unlock the center diff for 2wd low unless you use manual locking front hubs and get out each time you want to engage/disengage. That would be your easiest and cheapest route. The are about $120 on eBay.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
If I understand correctly the center locking diff is controlled mechanically directly through the in vehicle shifter. I don't think you can unlock the center diff for 2wd low unless you use manual locking front hubs and get out each time you want to engage/disengage. That would be your easiest and cheapest route. The are about $120 on eBay.

Interesting. Are you certain on the mechanical engagement for the center locker?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
It is mechanical and does not have a separate actuator, it's an integrated part of that 4wd mode. There are times when on solid rock slabs or slick rock that an override feature would be nice to prevent binding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman