Anybody done this- ARB front bumper on a 73-87 GM fullsize?

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
I've got an 87 GMC Jimmy that I am building up as a wheeling/camping vehicle. I'd love to have an ARB front bumper (I've loved them since I saw one on a Defender 90 back in the early 90's (I've also loved Defenders since then but, that's a pipe dream, LOL!)). Problem is, ARB doesn't make a bumper for it. BUT, they do make a 88-99 Chevy front bumper, seems like dimensions should be fairly similar? SOOO, anybody done this??? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated!!! :)

Here's the most current pic I've got:
026.jpg

Current specs:
350TBI (stock GM crate)
SM465 w/ORD 32 spline short shaft conversion
203/205 doubler, triple sticks, 32 spline throughout, HAD driveline E-brake
Dana 60, 35 spline, ARB, Dynaloc hubs, PSC hydro-assist
14BFF, discs, Detroit, 1.5" spacers (to even out track width)
6.55 (1st) x 3.92 (double low) x 4.56 (axle gearing)= 117:1 crawl ratio!
3" Tuff country EZ ride springs up front, rear shackle flip, 14" travel Bilstein 5150's
37" Cooper Discoverer STT muds
H2 wheels

Last edited:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I agree, ARB is my favorite bumper as well. Funny you should bring this thread up though as I have a 2005 Silverado HD with an ARB bumper for sale. In the advertisement I stated I would remove the front bumper and let the truck go without it if someone was interested saving some money. I had a guy here yesterday that seems very interested and is supposed to call me Monday after his bank opens but he doesn’t want the bumper. So, if my 05’ HD goes…..the ’78 K10 is getting the ARB winch bumper albeit it is going to take some work to make it fit. The old square body style trucks are wider than the later trucks. A quick measurement looks like the grill guard will be pretty close to the outside of the round headlights on the ’78 and the bottom bar has to be removed completely. I don’t know if I would spend $1200 on an ARB to cut up to make fit an old square truck but in this case I already have the bumper. We’ll see what happens! Craigslist people have a track record of being unreliable.

This bumper….
5304816855_1012ace66a_z.jpg

Reworked to fit this truck…
5535989025_9b81c82e69_z.jpg

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
SWEET!!!! Good luck with the sale of your truck! The ARB looks good on it! I have a Silverado 2500HD as well but, it never sees dirt so, although ARB makes a sweet bumper for it (the one you've got), it would be pointless for me to run! What tires size and lift (if any) are you running on the HD? I like how it sits!

Your blue truck is awesome!!! I have looked through some of your build on here, nice work!!! Looking forward to seeing more! That Phoenix camper looks SICK!!! I am definitely gonna be watching your bumper install!!! Thanks for posting up!!!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Thanks,

The white HD only has torsions bar keys and tall skinny LT255/85R16 Cooper S/T’s. Between the tall skinny tires and high clearance bumper give it the illusion it is much taller than it really is. The rear leaf spring packs have been reworked by the previous owner so it does sit up a bit in the back.

Yeah, hopefully this deal goes through where I keep my ARB bumper. Fingers are crossed. The problem is I cannot find an OEM bumper at any of the local salvage yards to put back on this truck. All of the ’03-’06 Chevrolet HD’s have been smacked in the front. Same issue I had when I bought this truck and why I got an ARB in the first place. The guy looking at it doesn’t seem to mind and is planning on a cheaper Ranchhand bull nose bumper.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
which model is that- the classic?

Yeah, that is the classic....very ARBish looking. I have wanted one of those forever. If this ARB bumper doesn’t pan out for mine that is the bumper I eventually want to get. The bad thing it is $1500 before you even figure in the freight.

rdraider

Adventurer
I worked at pick up accessories store for a while and from what i remember...

The newer truck is narrower by a few inches and the profile from the top looking down is a 170 degree or so shallow v. Yours is pretty much 180 flat.

It would take a lot of hacking to get it done. You'd have better luck making one fit from a 87-97 ford. If they make it.

Good Luck!

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
Thanks,

The white HD only has torsions bar keys and tall skinny LT255/85R16 Cooper S/T's. Between the tall skinny tires and high clearance bumper give it the illusion it is much taller than it really is. The rear leaf spring packs have been reworked by the previous owner so it does sit up a bit in the back.

Yeah, hopefully this deal goes through where I keep my ARB bumper. Fingers are crossed. The problem is I cannot find an OEM bumper at any of the local salvage yards to put back on this truck. All of the '03-'06 Chevrolet HD's have been smacked in the front. Same issue I had when I bought this truck and why I got an ARB in the first place. The guy looking at it doesn't seem to mind and is planning on a cheaper Ranchhand bull nose bumper.

Thanks for the info bro! Nice rigs! Yeah, you're right, all the HD Silverados in the salvage yard do always seem to be front impacts! DOH!

Buckstop makes one for your era truck.

Thanks bro! Those are really good looking! But, to me, they are too bulky looking for a low truck like mine, they look oh so right on a bigger truck like in that pic though!!!

I worked at pick up accessories store for a while and from what i remember...

The newer truck is narrower by a few inches and the profile from the top looking down is a 170 degree or so shallow v. Yours is pretty much 180 flat.

It would take a lot of hacking to get it done. You'd have better luck making one fit from a 87-97 ford. If they make it.

Good Luck!

Thanks! Yeah, the newer trucks do kinda come to a point, hadn't realized the width difference though. ARB doesn't make one for the older Fords. But, maybe their Superduty one would fit? I have no clue, I was hoping someone had done this before and would know what application to use and I could learn from them. I figured the 88-98 Chevy would be closest but, maybe not. Hmm, wonder how the Superduties do compare size wise? They do seem more tall, wide, and blunt of nose.

and for $1200 you could get a fab shop to make you one

True but, it wouldn't be the same. I've always loved ARB's and yeah, a custom fabbed one might look just as cool but, I'd still know it's not an ARB, know what I mean? Plus, seems kinda bad to exactly copy ARB's design, even if they don't make one for my application.

RR1

Explorer
True but, it wouldn't be the same. I've always loved ARB's and yeah, a custom fabbed one might look just as cool but, I'd still know it's not an ARB, know what I mean? Plus, seems kinda bad to exactly copy ARB's design, even if they don't make one for my application.

I dunno that style of bumper has been copied many times, don't think it is an ARB original design to begin with. TJM another Aussie manufacture has their version, among others...

Tell you the truth, I like ShrockWorks version better, tucked in closer to the body than the ARB.

I had an ARB, and my buddy's Buckstop is built better, in my opinion.

Don't buy a bumper just because of what logo is on it. A fab shop can build exactly what you want, and out of heavier gauge steel than the ARB, which I consider somewhat "thin".

Sorry for the Toyotas just showing examples.

http://www.shrockworks.com/Toyota-4Runner-Winch-Bumper-Front-Bumper-Bull-Bar-Offroad-pr-16217.html

57a530ba89aeb6e2c9289dc5f3058b6a.jpg

IMG_2912-1-1.jpg

Little Red

Adventurer
There are a couple manufacturer that do make winch bumpers for your truck and they are very similar to the ARB bumpers. Some mentioned earlier.
The cheapest I found is this one

Wincher-204.jpg

Made by Tactical Armour Group formerly known as Kennesaw Mountain Accesories. They make some cool rear bumpers too.

An other option I have never seen mentioned here is the Chevy Extreme Duty Front Bumper from Reunel

Chevy58.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears