Anybody seen seat covers with pockets?

The Boy Scout

I guess I will post this question in Storage Solutions section !!!

This summer I had the opportunity to spend a few days driving with a couple from Germany that had imported a fully kitted 78 series Land Cruiser and were in Alaska, on their way to South America. They had the cruiser set up with on board water purification, pop-up, sat nav, diesel on and on, a rig and adventure I can only dream about.

One thing they had just seemed brilliant. Cloth seat covers, easy to remove and wash, but absolutely ringed with pockets. When I look at the crap I get out during a trip, the stuff I want to keep within arms reach, the concept of making use of the space around the fronts seats seems absolutely brilliant. Theirs had the Dakar logo, but could have been made by anybody. They probably got this set in Europe, but the concept seems like no-brainer, and could be made by anybody.

Has anybody seen seat covers, that were designed to make good use of the space in front, sides, rear of the front seats, with storage pockets for all the little things you may need within arms reach ?

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
There are quite a few out there that I have come across in my travels. These ones caught my eye, as well as the Rugged Ridge ones and a few others I cant remember the names of?

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/53.htm

53_1.jpg

http://www.ruggedridgeoffroad.com/jeep-seat-covers.php#polycottoncovers

jeep-seat-protectors.jpg

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I have exact fit seat covers in my Taco, nice sized map pocket in back and and front pocket that holds a lot too. I have the endrua (sp?) fabric and it's waterproof and cleans well, even in black. Mine is 5 years old and when cleaned, it looks new.

Will Riggs

Observer
I got a set of the "universal" Smittybilt gear covers for my ZJ, they're ok. Fit isn't exact, however they do hold gear rather well. I'm still confused about one of the pouches that came with the set, it isn't molle and I'm not sure what to do with it. I got the covers as an open box (yet still brand new) deal on amazon for $30 shipped, they're black and I have black leather seats so it worked out well.

I'm actually debating pulling my seat apart and just sewing the rear part of the smittybilt cover to the factory seat cover since I have very little money invested. This way I'd have the best of both worlds. If I do it, I'll post up with pics. I can say that if you're worried about a perfect fit, the "universal" covers probably aren't for you.

Hope that all makes sense, It's late.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I've been using a pair of GT velour seat covers atop my LC 100-Series front seats for the past 5-6 years and they've held up perfectly and fit very, very well. They feature a wide rear/back of seat pocket, outside side pocket and a front pocket which is very handy for pressure gauge, deflators, etc.

http://www.gtcovers.com/

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I just put a set of Marathon covers on my 4runner. Large map pockets in the back and a front seat pocket as well. Well made and fit is nice, but a tad pricey at $266 (shipped) for the front seats.

I looked at GT covers, too (they're a local company) but I wasn't as impressed with the quality of the fabric. They also did not offer the variety of camo patterns that Marathon offered.

2012_0914_154501AA.jpg

2012_0914_152610AA.jpg

Back view shows the large map pockets:

2012_0914_154432AA.jpg

2012_0914_154444AA.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the pictures from the front - it was a very bright, sunny day and the camera had a hard time adjusting to the sunlight coming in the windshield.

Ramjet

Explorer
I just put a set of Marathon covers on my 4runner. Large map pockets in the back and a front seat pocket as well. Well made and fit is nice, but a tad pricey at $266 (shipped) for the front seats.

I looked at GT covers, too (they're a local company) but I wasn't as impressed with the quality of the fabric. They also did not offer the variety of camo patterns that Marathon offered.

2012_0914_154501AA.jpg

2012_0914_152610AA.jpg

Back view shows the large map pockets:

2012_0914_154432AA.jpg

2012_0914_154444AA.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the pictures from the front - it was a very bright, sunny day and the camera had a hard time adjusting to the sunlight coming in the windshield.

Martin,

Those Marathon Seat Covers are nice. I've been looking at them for awhile now. Are they a heavy duty Canvas?

The Boy Scout

I appreciate the links and suggestions but let me add a little more about my impression of the seat covers I am trying to run down.

Remember I posted this in storage section. You know those contractors that carry their tools in a 5 gal bucket ? You know those canvas aprons around the top to throw the tools they want to put away quick, have handy, and don't want to loose in the bottom of the bucket ? Now imagine that ring of pockets around the seat pan!! Cordless razor, passport/papers/wallet, cell phone, key rings for external storage, recharge cords......

As far as fit. You dont just drive your vehicle, you LIVE behind the wheel, 10-12 hours a day for years. You probably need to wash the seat covers about as often as your pants! These seat covers fit like a gunny sack. You could whip them off in two seconds.

(I'm exaggerating a little, but remember, this is a storage thread, Let's keep our focus. !!!)

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Martin,

Those Marathon Seat Covers are nice. I've been looking at them for awhile now. Are they a heavy duty Canvas?

I think they're called "superhides." Heavy duty cordura nylon. Waterproof, which is nice. Not as soft as the factory seat covers but much more durable.

BadOmen

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:Sorry, but I move my seats too much-

I've got the console straddle/w latched 6"x10" bags

laptopconsolemounts001.jpg

I've got "Dirtbagz", behind both seats-

Dirtbagz005.jpg

I've got RAINGLER overhead storage

PICT0183.jpg

I've got IGGEES seats/w full width rear compartment-

I've gotta hardtop rack and an off-road trailer and I still forget things-