Anyone added a solar system to an ambulance?

TxPt

I’m looking for guidance on integrating the solar charger and battery with my ambulance so that I can run the existing ac and dc systems. My concern is that I’m not sure where to tie the system in. My Ambo has two batteries in the engine compartment but the inverter and the shore power connection are all in the ambulance box.

Would love to hear from someone who has done something similar.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Whole subforum full of answers

and there's an extensive and detailed topic on how to do all sorts of variations on a budget -

I sort of did what you want to do, with my Suburban. Starter and Aux battery are both under the hood, but I ran some heavy (1/0) cables to the rear of the vehicle. Ostensibly for a hitch-mounted winch, but I also did an extensive power box in the cargo area with all sorts of power receptacles / variations, a 1000W inverter and I also integrated a solar charge controller back there which basically backfeeds the aux battery when the vehicle is parked / off.
I use a 200A solenoid that is activated when the key is turned on, which combines both batteries so they can both be charged by the alternator when driving. Key off, they are isolated and I'm still re-wiring things so most of my power drains are off the Aux.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears