Anyone around that can do a purchase inspection in Victoria/Mallacoota area?

yabanja

Explorer
Hello folks! Wondering if there are any members that could take a cursory look at a FG camper in the Victoria,Aus area?
Thank you!

Allan

Ultimark

I may be in Bairnsdale next week, which is still about 230km short of Mallacoota......

What exactly are you looking for? There is a 4x4 Mitsubishi not that far from me, from memory it is basically a caravan on the back of a 6 tonne Mitsubishi cab chassis. It was on the market some time ago, I don't think it has been sold though. A friend mentioned it to me earlier this year as he was looking at some relatively remote travelling, which apparently this would fit the bill. Alas, their funds were diverted due to a pregnancy.

Mick.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer

Ultimark

Just had a thought, and this happened to a Canadian couple some years ago, they were unable to drive a motorhome they were thinking of buying as it was classed as Light Rigid.

In Australia a normal car licence allows you to drive anything up to 4500kG in total weight, referred to as GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass).

From there on there are different classes of licence endorsements, the one pertinent for you is Light Rigid. Which is any two axle automobile with a GVM greater than 4500kg but no greater than 8000kg.

The vehicles you are looking at, if they are registered for Light Rigid will require you to have an equivalent overseas licence. It is possible to legally reduce the weight to 4500kg with almost no issues, some of these Fusos are downgraded to Light Commercial, which is under 4500kg. Great idea and I have seen a 4x4 Fuso motorhome outside my own house that had been downgraded to under 4500kg, but they couldn't carry much apart from clothing and food.

The vehicle I gave a link for above, is registered as a Light Rigid. Interestingly the blue coloured plates on the passenger door and near the passenger seat, are there for the various changes from the original manufacturer. Think Super Singles, an additional fuel tank, those kind of changes.

Mick.

Licence_Classification.jpg

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Found it, or at least I think this is the one he was talking about.
I always have to laugh when it is obvious that a seller does not really know what they are selling...
This truck is advertised as a 2009 model with a 3 litre engine, which is incorrect.
It is a FG84 with a 4M50, 4.9 litre engine.

Pretty expensive, for what it is, but it seems reasonably well set up.

yabanja

Explorer
Sorry for the late response. Have been getting our feet under us here in Perth. We are permanent residents and intend to get an aus. heavy license. Thank you for the information and the links! Neither of these trucks is what I am looking for. I am after something a little more like Fido. Short wheelbase, Pop top.

Allan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12