Anyone go from LC to Wrangler?

RND1

Observer
New to Jeep. Current DD is a 2003 Toyota LC with 210k miles. Picked it up from the original owner a decade ago with 88k miles. I've appreciated it's legendary reliability and bank vault like quality. I've been looking for a replacement vehicle for a while now.

Ended up ordering a 2024 Willys V6 6MT in July - between the MT recall and strike there's still no line of sight for delivery. Wondering if anyone else has made the leap from LC to Jeep and can share what I should expect? I don't expect bank vault like quality - I'll trade that to be able to throw the Sunrider top back and have fun rowing my own gears. But, if it rattles and breaks down, it won't last long in the stable.

I chose the Willys as the LC replacement because I like the simplicity of the cloth seats, solid axles, rear locker, 6MT, 4.10 gears, and 33" KO2s with the new tech of the LED lights front/rear, safety tech and side airbags, and 12" screen with apple carplay, etc.

RND1

Observer
I personally wouldn’t have gone V6, the I4 Turbo develops a lot more torque where it is needed.

I like the simplicity of the Pentastar and it had plenty of torque (to me). Drove both engines back to back and I much preferred the feel and sound of the V6 (especially coming from a V8).

Last edited:

RND1

Observer
Does the Willy’s have a locker? Thought is was a limited slip. The Jeep is 20 years newer so it’ll be better than the LC.

Yes, in 2024 they made some really nice upgrades to the Willys including the rear locker, 4.10 rear, Dana 44 axle, 33" KO2's, Rubicon fenders, etc. It was the perfect combination of features and price which is why I chose it as the LC replacement.

86scotty

Cynic
Yes, in 2024 they made some really nice upgrades to the Willys including the rear locker, 4.10 rear, Dana 44 axle, 33" KO2's, Rubicon fenders, etc. It was the perfect combination of features and price which is why I chose it as the LC replacement.

Bummer, we have a 21 Willys 4cyl automatic and I wish it had the 4:10 gearset and better axle. But, I had a 2016 3.6l 6mt before it and hated it. The manual Wranglers feel SO much slower than the autos in everyday driving and I'm historically a manual fan. That is the only manual vehicle I ever disliked driving and eventually sold because of it. I hope your experience with the latest one is different. The throttle mapping is a lot better in the JL's vs. the JK's but I have not driven a manual JL yet.

You will absolutely love the infotainment, lighting and other modern upgrades of the new Jeep compared to your LC but it's not going to be as quiet and smooth of course.

If you got the 12" screen did you get the Alpine stereo upgrade with sub? IIRC they go together. If so you'll be blown away by the sound quality. Every time I get in our Jeep (her daily) to go somewhere I simply cannot believe the hi-fi experience I'm having while driving a Jeep.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The biggest changes are going to be in cost of mods, where the Jeep is quite a bit cheaper, but, because so many options exist, it might add up over time as you follow the creed: Just Empty Every Pocket = JEEP, LOL

Second thing you are going to notice is that cargo space is terrible compared to the LC. You will need to rethink your cargo set up, camp kitchen, tool storage, etc... There are good solutions, but it requires a lot more thought and refinement in your kit to get satisfactory results.

Third thing you will notice is that it is more fatiguing to drive the solid axle Jeep long distances. More wind noise, more bump steer, more general vibrations, etc.... It's not terrible by any means, but it is a factor in planning trips.

RND1

Observer
Bummer, we have a 21 Willys 4cyl automatic and I wish it had the 4:10 gearset and better axle. But, I had a 2016 3.6l 6mt before it and hated it. The manual Wranglers feel SO much slower than the autos in everyday driving and I'm historically a manual fan. That is the only manual vehicle I ever disliked driving and eventually sold because of it. I hope your experience with the latest one is different. The throttle mapping is a lot better in the JL's vs. the JK's but I have not driven a manual JL yet.

You will absolutely love the infotainment, lighting and other modern upgrades of the new Jeep compared to your LC but it's not going to be as quiet and smooth of course.

If you got the 12" screen did you get the Alpine stereo upgrade with sub? IIRC they go together. If so you'll be blown away by the sound quality. Every time I get in our Jeep (her daily) to go somewhere I simply cannot believe the hi-fi experience I'm having while driving a Jeep.
I've heard mixed reviews on the 6MT. Some say the clutch is too soft and has no feel. Others say it's fine once you get used to it. I've already ordered a new pedal spring for ACT which is supposed to dramatically affect the feel. We'll see but I'm not too worried about it.

I bet the new Willy’s will be smoother than the old LC if they are on the same tires, but the LC will be quieter.
Yea, I splurged for the sound insulated HT to try to improve the noise, but I don't expect it to be LC quiet.

The biggest changes are going to be in cost of mods, where the Jeep is quite a bit cheaper, but, because so many options exist, it might add up over time as you follow the creed: Just Empty Every Pocket = JEEP, LOL

Second thing you are going to notice is that cargo space is terrible compared to the LC. You will need to rethink your cargo set up, camp kitchen, tool storage, etc... There are good solutions, but it requires a lot more thought and refinement in your kit to get satisfactory results.

Third thing you will notice is that it is more fatiguing to drive the solid axle Jeep long distances. More wind noise, more bump steer, more general vibrations, etc.... It's not terrible by any means, but it is a factor in planning trips.
All good points. Def can see the mod bug happening over time. And I'm def going to miss the room and tail gate of the LC, but my kids are mostly grown now so I don't mind having a slightly smaller vehicle. The solid axle thing will be new to me - just hope I don't get the notorious death wobble :)

86scotty

Cynic
just hope I don't get the notorious death wobble :)

On a new Wrangler? Very doubtful. That's highly overhyped. Keep in mind how popular these things are in general. Wranglers are EVERYWHERE. I don't know the numbers but easily one of the most popular vehicles in America for years now. If death wobble was that big of a deal it would be much more in the public eye.

Now if you're planning on putting 40"s on it............

alanymarce

Hmm ; reputations are that Land Cruisers are very reliable, and Jeeps not.

I've owned one LC and 4 Jeeps.

The first three Jeeps were perfectly reliable (zero problems).

The fourth (Wrangler JK LWB), owned for 2 years for a trip around Canada, was very good but but not perfect:

This year

- no problems at all

Last year

- unexplained security system warning light which came on, and then went off, a couple of times
- a loose screenwash jet hose - fixed with tie-wrap
- replaced the 20A fuse for the cigarette lighter socket

The Land Cruiser (Series 80):

- an initial electrical fault (intermittent failure to start) came and went multiple times, various workshops tried different things none of which solved the problem. The fault was resolved in Victoria Falls, where we finally found a good auto electrician.

- Radiator exploded in Namibia, a new radiator fitted in Lüderitz (reportedly the only one in Southern Africa).

- air conditioning motor/fan wore out, none available in RSA until we arrived in Cape TOwn. The one there had had part of it stolen so had to order a new one from Dubai, which we was installed in Gaborone

- a cracked front differential housing was given first aid in Ngorongoro and fixed in Fort Portal,

- a broken front differential was repaired in Kampala and adjusted in Kitale

- a failed front wheel bearing (fitted in Kampala and not OEM however allegedly the only one available) was replaced at the roadside in Moyok and permanently replaced in Kitale.

- In addition various running repairs were done during the trip.

Key point - Toyota agencies are in general NOT interested in repairing vehicles which are not currently or recently sold so you need to find independent workshops. Spares for older Land Cruisers are not widely available so must be ordered - Toyota will order from Japan and say that it'll take 6-8 weeks; you can order online from independent suppliers and it will take 1-3 weeks.

Bear in mind that the LC was 20 years old, and the most recent Jeep 7 years old, when bought.

Scrib

Observer
The 33" with 4.10's will be a great combination. I ran 33's with the factory 3.73 for several years with no issues. Lots of low range 3rd and 4th gear "crawling" on tight trails with the standard 2.72:1 transfer case. I cannot speak to the JL's shifter but if it is anything like the JK's mushy feeling stick, the B&M shift handle is a worthy upgrade.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Hmm ; reputations are that Land Cruisers are very reliable, and Jeeps not.

I've owned one LC and 4 Jeeps.

The first three Jeeps were perfectly reliable (zero problems).

The fourth (Wrangler JK LWB), owned for 2 years for a trip around Canada, was very good but but not perfect:

This year

- no problems at all

Last year

- unexplained security system warning light which came on, and then went off, a couple of times
- a loose screenwash jet hose - fixed with tie-wrap
- replaced the 20A fuse for the cigarette lighter socket

The Land Cruiser (Series 80):

- an initial electrical fault (intermittent failure to start) came and went multiple times, various workshops tried different things none of which solved the problem. The fault was resolved in Victoria Falls, where we finally found a good auto electrician.

- Radiator exploded in Namibia, a new radiator fitted in Lüderitz (reportedly the only one in Southern Africa).

- air conditioning motor/fan wore out, none available in RSA until we arrived in Cape TOwn. The one there had had part of it stolen so had to order a new one from Dubai, which we was installed in Gaborone

- a cracked front differential housing was given first aid in Ngorongoro and fixed in Fort Portal,

- a broken front differential was repaired in Kampala and adjusted in Kitale

- a failed front wheel bearing (fitted in Kampala and not OEM however allegedly the only one available) was replaced at the roadside in Moyok and permanently replaced in Kitale.

- In addition various running repairs were done during the trip.

Key point - Toyota agencies are in general NOT interested in repairing vehicles which are not currently or recently sold so you need to find independent workshops. Spares for older Land Cruisers are not widely available so must be ordered - Toyota will order from Japan and say that it'll take 6-8 weeks; you can order online from independent suppliers and it will take 1-3 weeks.

Bear in mind that the LC was 20 years old, and the most recent Jeep 7 years old, when bought.
The age makes all the difference. It’s extremely rare to see a 20 year Jeep out and about like you see 20 year old Toyotas.

I went from a 2000 lc with the center lock diff to a Chevy truck then h-3. Then a 2008 jeep jkur. The legendary Toyota reliability wasn’t. At about 10500 mile the main control for the electrical system. I forgot what the dealer called it went kaput to the cost of about 3500 as I recall aliitle foggy on it all but it was too much for me to handle $$$ wise. Comparatively speaking the jeep blew a head gasket at about -150k miles the thing was it heat running running and running took me awhile to figure it out It would get hot on long climbs when the temp was above 80 finally when I did the dealer repaired. It under the lifetime warranty they had going when I bought it in 2008 I did live the leather heated seats. And pop out rear windows I had it on 33s with an arb bumper warn. Winch
. Tjm rear tirec swing custom rock sliders It was a cool vehicle but I was bitterly disappointed in the failure. The jeep ran a small lift 35s super winch warn bumpers on stock 410 gears it wasn’t as Cush as the Land Cruiser but it went places without hesitation where I wouldn’t take the Land Cruiser Since then I have stuck to rubicons 2018 new jlur. Traded it in on gladiator when I lived in the mountains by Yosemite and now sold the gladiator to order a 2024 rubicon x. Which I did on July 1. Nothing. Happened on th build until
The other day on jlwrangler when I got. Notice it is being built and I is ready to ship

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior