Anyone go from LC to Wrangler?

Arktikos

Explorer
Did you test drive a similar Jeep before ordering yours? That could have given you an idea about the driving experience differences. For sure you can count on better comparative gas mileage, although it won't really be anything to brag about. Probably greater leg and headroom too. The 100 series doesn't impress in this arena.

I would not buy a Jeep with the expectation of owning it for decades, as I would an LC.
But who knows, it could surprise. It will certainly be some fun for awhile!

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
"I would not buy a Jeep with the expectation of owning it for decades, as I would an LC.
But who knows, it could surprise. It will certainly be some fun for awhile!"

Nobody buys any vehicle these days with the intent to keep it for decades.

The electronics alone will not last that long without serious repair/replacement if that repair/replacement part is even available much less anything else mechanical!

alanymarce

The age makes all the difference. It’s extremely rare to see a 20 year Jeep out and about like you see 20 year old Toyotas.
Absolutely - the problems with our LC were in two categories:

- simple wear and tear with no major impact, to be expected and dealt with as they arise; some can be handled with routine maintenance, although a failed A/C motor is tough to predict, and I'd guess that most people wouldn't replace this every X kilometres/years.

- catastrophic failure, also possible but once again tough to predict. I suppose that some might replace the differentials every decade or so, however the variables are difficult to control. To be fair to the Toyota workshop where we diagnosed the A/C motor failure one of the mechanics looked at the radiator header and said "that's going to give up soon". It didn't occur to me that the failure would be as explosive as it was.

You may not see many 20 year old Jeeps in some parts of the world, however they are common here - Jeeps from the 1950s on are standard transport in the "Coffee Country" : )

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
The Willys will treat you right, especially with the Pentastar.
I've had my JKUR since new in 2016 and it's been pretty good. I've only had a few issues in the time I've owned it.
1. The engine developed a tick (Rocker Tick) around 90k miles (in 2022) and I had to have the heads replaced with new rockers and such. I have an unlimited mileage warranty so it wasn't a big deal for me but I've been told that can be an expensive fix.
2. One of the valve covers started leaking around 95k leaking oil onto the o2 sensors. Both replaced under warranty.
3. Now I need to have the Thermostat replaced (at 97k miles) as its throwing a code. That one isn't covered under warranty.

That's been it so far. Big or small.

My 2015 4Runner, for comparison, has needed both front window motors replaced and a front wheel bearing. Pretty sure the wheel bearing needs to be replaced again or the tires are just louder than I remember.

I always recommend getting all the warranties with an FCA vehicle. For me, they've already paid themselves off.

I went from a 2000 lc with the center lock diff to a Chevy truck then h-3. Then a 2008 jeep jkur. The legendary Toyota reliability wasn’t. At about 10500 mile the main control for the electrical system. I forgot what the dealer called it went kaput to the cost of about 3500 as I recall aliitle foggy on it all but it was too much for me to handle $$$ wise. Comparatively speaking the jeep blew a head gasket at about -150k miles the thing was it heat running running and running took me awhile to figure it out It would get hot on long climbs when the temp was above 80 finally when I did the dealer repaired. It under the lifetime warranty they had going when I bought it in 2008 I did live the leather heated seats. And pop out rear windows I had it on 33s with an arb bumper warn. Winch
. Tjm rear tirec swing custom rock sliders It was a cool vehicle but I was bitterly disappointed in the failure. The jeep ran a small lift 35s super winch warn bumpers on stock 410 gears it wasn’t as Cush as the Land Cruiser but it went places without hesitation where I wouldn’t take the Land Cruiser Since then I have stuck to rubicons 2018 new jlur. Traded it in on gladiator when I lived in the mountains by Yosemite and now sold the gladiator to order a 2024 rubicon x. Which I did on July 1. Nothing. Happened on th build until
The other day on jlwrangler when I got. Notice it is being built and I is ready to ship

Attachments

• 2000 landcruiser .pdf
    301.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 2008 JKUR arizona .JPG
    2008 JKUR arizona .JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • jeep golden eagle5 copy.jpeg
    jeep golden eagle5 copy.jpeg
    613.5 KB · Views: 8
  • jeep and  discovery.jpeg
    jeep and discovery.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • n.JPG
    n.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • 2020 JTUR copy.jpeg
    2020 JTUR copy.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
I got a little messedup inposting so some pictures are on the ealier post. where I posted some of my 4wd drives over the past years. MY first that I camped out of was the 77 cj -7 that picture is down on the beach south of Ragged Point and north of San Simeon, back when there weren't many fences and you could camp anywhere. Then my 2000 landcrusiser which had several problems in the 105,000 miles I drove it, but it was set up very well. Then my son's disco and my 2008 JKUR on a trip across Anza borrego. The same jeep on a visit to expo in flag where we decided to camp instead. MY 2018 JLUR in the snow the first day I got it. and finally MY JTUR. now waiting on the final chapter. 2024 JLUR X

Attachments

• first day 2018 rubicon.JPG
    first day 2018 rubicon.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 6
  • 2020 jeep gladiator .jpeg
    2020 jeep gladiator .jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6

DCH109

Adventurer
So I went from a basically completely rebuild Fj60 (including the drive train) to a 2015 Jeep JK 4 door which I have own 3 years.
My Jeep has the hard top and I have not taken it off. Also 3.6L, 3.73 gears LSD, 6 speed manual with 33" tires, AEV 2.5" lift, AEV front bumper, HD rear bumper, rock sliders, skid plates and all of that is weight.
I put a roof rack on it and a RTT a couple of years ago and drove from VA to CO, several of the high mountain passes and all around. It was solid, ok fuel economy and could hold at 75 mph. The RTT was a fuel hog.
Off road it was a beast and never felt i needed a locker once (although that is in the plan eventually) The LSD was great and never let me down. Low 4wd it just crawled along. Imagine with a Rubicon transfer case.

I have 90k miles on mine, bought it with 45K.

Work done:
Had the oil cooler replaced at 80K (was leaking and a common issue)
Oil changes.

Things it needs now:
Brakes (they are due)
Clutch (teaching my 16 year old to drive is killing it)
Radiator (I can smell coolant so I think it may be going, been this way for a year)
Rear diff seal cover is weeping (easy fix).

That is it. I would drive it back out west again in a second.

Does it have squeaks and rattles? Yes and no. Yes if I put the internal Highlift mount in and the fridge, extra battery, underseat drawer etc. No if all of that is out.
Solid and reliable.

Do I miss my Fj60. No, while it was amazing and no issues with it at all, I needed to carry spares of what would be common items on the JK as they would not be available anywhere. Where everyone says smiles per gallon on the FJ, I get with the manual trans JK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior