Anyone heard of Topolo RV?

hidn45

For windows and exterior doors you just cut the appropriate size hole in the panel.

I'm definitely not a skilled carpenter! Or a skilled composite builder. If you aren't too picky about cosmetics it isn't hard.
At the risk of completely derailing the thread, I'd like to know more about your project, as we're planning to DIY a panel box as well. Did you build each of your walls in one piece, or did you have seams? How big is your habitat?

Do you have a build thread, or a YT channel? Details, Man, we need details!

Thanks-
Randy

rruff

Explorer
Sorry... I really appreciate all the build details that some people provide, but I guess I'm too lazy for a build thread... so far. Plus... I don't think I'd recommend doing what I did. The curves and facets are nice, but a PITA. Also, the amount of fiberglass dust generated was extreme. I thought that since a rough finish was ok with me, the sanding would be minimal, but that wasn't the case.

To answer your questions: It is wet layup epoxy/fiberglass and carbon over PVC foam core. Built in pieces and then joints filled with fumed silica/epoxy, and more layup on the seams. The bottom is carbon and structural (no flatbed) and joined to the frame using poly cab mounts to create a pseudo 3-point pivot. If you have a truck with a fully boxed frame you don't need that pivoting stuff. It's big, over 9' plus a big cabover bed and 76" interior height.

What would I recommend? Simple shapes. And if doing wet layup, buy cloth that is as wide as the piece you are making if possible. It's amazing how obvious a .5 mm discontinuity is on a flat surface.

Based on what I've seen of other builds, FRP skins glued to foam looks like the easiest way to go. There are manufacturers in Oz that get away with very simple edge joining also... basically a rebate/butt joint with glue.

I just got back from it's first real camping trip to the Big Bend area, and it performed very well on road and off. I still need to build under bed storage... waiting for it to get warm enough for epoxy work.

Attachments

• Tundra_01.2024_BigBend01-.jpg
    Tundra_01.2024_BigBend01-.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Tundra_01.2024_BigBend02-.jpg
    Tundra_01.2024_BigBend02-.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 39

hidn45

Thanks for the info - I'm certainly no expert, but it looks pretty good to me.

Yes, that's one of my [many] concerns is having panel joints on the large, blank, expansive walls, especially if we were to do some type of glued-up panel. I would be more than happy with the level of fit & finish you've got there, so maybe wet layup is the way to go for us. My present design has the side walls at about 15' x 7', so that's a pretty big area to get acceptably flat by piecing panels together. We may have to go for some tree graphics for camouflage. Zebra stripes?

Thanks again for the info. This is probably the best-executed example I've seen of the system we're most likely to use, so if you're ever inclined, even a "hitting the highlights" thread would be very welcome. BTW, have you been over to the Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers forum? https://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=55&sid=88accb7037f22e01a8e36b91ace892e2 The foamie folks over there would go absolutely bonkers for your camper (even without PMF).... ;)

Thanks-
Randy

rruff

Explorer
Coating with Monstaliner or similar would make discontinuities less obvious. I tried to get an orange-peel with 2 part PU paint, but wasn't very successful.

Yes, big pieces are hard to handle! If you have another person to help move them, it isn't so bad though. If you have a flat piece of concrete you can do the layup on that, but my knees ache just thinking about it. Better to make a table big enough for your largest piece. The layup will warp a bit as it cures, or at least did for me, so "perfectly flat" doesn't happen, but it was close enough.

I was on the tnttt forum a few years back. I made some PMF samples and they were far inferior to fiberglass, and didn't save much money either. I wouldn't recommend PMF for anything large for sure. It's more like a durable coating than a structural skin.

Is that 15x7 including a berth? What vehicle? Are going for a low budget build?

You're right, I should post a summary and answer questions in one spot!

hidn45

Ah, bedliner! Good idea. Covers a multitude of sins.
It will definitely be a low-budget build, to leave enough funds to accommodate The Little Woman's "want list" (read  demands). And no overcab - her knees & back prevent her climbing up to a raised berth, that's why it's gotta be 15 bleeding feet long. ;^)
I was hoping to build on an Isuzu NPR, but the climbing thing nixed that, so I'm hoping to find an E350/450 or similar - maybe an old Penske or a cutaway camper with a rotten box I can tear off. I could work with a conventional cab, but it would add some length I'd rather not deal with. We've got some time, so I can afford to be patient on a vehicle. Probably a good thing - between the budget & the size criteria, pickings are kinda slim.
Looking forward to a summary thread (no pressure or anything... :) ).

Thanks-
Randy

Psyched

Hey all, I found a reasonable source for panels in the US if you want to build your own box. Check out Boreas Campers and Boreas Composites. They stock 5’ x 13’ panels, and they can order larger custom sizes. They ship everything in from Australia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior